The next build off? Plans for the future

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which would interest you?

• Off Road

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Muscle

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Skinny

Votes: 22 59.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
With the amount of stuff I have, I should enter all 3 categories!
No doubt. Sitting here thinking what the Captain SHOULD do is build off road since I have piles of parts

But there's some car restoration show on in the waiting room at the surgery center and it has me thinking muscle

IMG_20220906_101550900~2.jpg

🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤔😒🚴

I'm with wildcat and guitarlcarl
1.5 or 40mm AND under for the skinny tire class
Heck I say why not go all the way up to 1.75 / 47mm
Call it a light/middle weight build off

Muscle is the class that shines but I'm not feeling it. Most of the bikes built here aren't muscle bikes and our relaxed rules that allow any tanker into the fray discourages some serious builders. It may be the only class I've placed in but no, not this time. But I've got a few ideas...
IMG_20220906_152308.jpg
IMG_20220906_152223.jpg

Might combine these two into an almost tall off roadster. ^^^

IMG_20220906_152109.jpg

And I want to build a Time Trial bike so this Nishiki needs to get the cut and splice...

How about a virtual build off while we wait 2 months to get the WBO started? Rough cut and pastes and crude paint sketches combine to plan an upcoming build or even one you can't swing in reality... Might be fun. I'd start a thread up in the BUILD CHALLENGES section if there's any interest...

Carl.

Last edited:
Too many rules for me - have an open class as well - build what you want.
That how we increase our expertise, by building within the constraints of time and rules. Plus I like to see how far I can bend them before they break. You've been here a year longer than me and I don't think I've ever seen you in a Build Off. But multiple classes gives us choices and then in the Annual BO there is an open class, as well as the Unofficial March Shootout that I've been putting on for a few years that's always an unlimited bo. Too many rules you say? That's where we're at now in this thread, defining what we want to do in the upcoming event. I would argue that in the Muscle Bike class the rules are too relaxed and even balloon bikes can be built to fit the rules (that doesn't make them Muscle Bikes it just allows them to compete) So technically there's no rules at all...yet, depending on what classes we all decide on and even though we probably have hashed out a rough set of rules already there's always room for alternatives. and more builders to join in.

GC.

I'm in for muscle. Looks like I have most everything on hand for something. And I might do off road (time and ambition permitting) if the neighbor decides he wants to move his kid up from his old BMX bike

I'm voting Muscle. I don't really mess with off road or skinny bikes. Cruisers and muscle bikes are more my thing. Nothing wrong with the other 2 categories, but I don't have the parts to build either bike. If the only 2 categories this winter are off road and skinny, I actually wouldn't mind, as I need to focus on some back burner projects I've been putting off due to the Build Offs. So it'd be nice to sit this one out for a change and work on some of the bikes I've been putting off for a couple years now.

I'm voting Muscle. I don't really mess with off road or skinny bikes. Cruisers and muscle bikes are more my thing. Nothing wrong with the other 2 categories, but I don't have the parts to build either bike. If the only 2 categories this winter are off road and skinny, I actually wouldn't mind, as I need to focus on some back burner projects I've been putting off due to the Build Offs. So it'd be nice to sit this one out for a change and work on some of the bikes I've been putting off for a couple years now.
At this point we're just trying to determine adding on that third category. I think muscle will always be the primary winter category and off-road seems very popular. Adding on that skinny was a great idea and it also seems super popular considering at the time of this post it's leading the polls

At this point we're just trying to determine adding on that third category. I think muscle will always be the primary winter category and off-road seems very popular. Adding on that skinny was a great idea and it also seems super popular considering at the time of this post it's leading the polls
Definitely seems like more than a few folks would want that third category. I've got a good candidate for the MBBO, but I have no idea how I want to build it yet. I'll probably still skip this Winter Build Off, since I have other bikes I need to finish first. Heck, I still need to finish last year's MBBO entry!

@JNOACK will be entering the MBBO. He may not know it yet, but I'm giving him no choice. I should also force @Jaxon in as well because I can, and he's helpless to resist.

I'll spread the word on the Muscle Bike Forum FB page to see what interest I can drum up.

I'm in! I've got at least 1 entry. I can muster up 2 more. Can I finish 3? THAT will be the challenge. I'll start by FINISHING one.

@JNOACK will be entering the MBBO. He may not know it yet, but I'm giving him no choice. I should also force @Jaxon in as well because I can, and he's helpless to resist.

I'll spread the word on the Muscle Bike Forum FB page to see what interest I can drum up.

I am sad skipping the big BO this year and gladly would jump on the WBO! Skinny sounds fun for me, i have a bike or two that can be built that way ;)
giphy.gif

Muscle is the class that shines but I'm not feeling it. Most of the bikes built here aren't muscle bikes and our relaxed rules that allow any tanker into the fray discourages some serious builders. It may be the only class I've placed in but no, not this time. But I've got a few ideas...
View attachment 208910View attachment 208911
Might combine these two into an almost tall off roadster. ^^^

View attachment 208912
And I want to build a Time Trial bike so this Nishiki needs to get the cut and splice...

How about a virtual build off while we wait 2 months to get the WBO started? Rough cut and pastes and crude paint sketches combine to plan an upcoming build or even one you can't swing in reality... Might be fun. I'd start a thread up in the BUILD CHALLENGES section if there's any interest...

Carl.

I've got an 80's Nishiki Sebring that I turned into a nice flat bar fast bike. Vuelta SL37 Aero wheels, 32mm Gatorskin tires, and Dia Comp Center pull brakes. It came with the older single pivot sidepull brakes and I switched it over to center pulls. Yours has the top tube brake open cable operation. I'm jealous, mine has the sidepull cable outer housing all the way from handle to brake. I got around that. Can't wait to see what you do to this bike for your time trial beast.
IMG_0255.jpg

Definitely in for off-road with at least a 26" BMX and maybe even a Klunker with (gasp) gears.

I already have all of the skinnies I'd ever want, so a build in the Skinny category will require a client request. Muscle would also require a client request as well, but that's not what I normally do and last Winter's Speedster fills that niche for me already.

As stated in the other thread, I'll be aiming to finish the muscle bike for my son from the BO (Hope4muscle).
IMG_20220606_161718957.jpg

And I would be up to enter a skinny city commuter build based on the donor frame from above mention build... It will become the "Skinny'matic".
IMG_20220604_140632008(1)_copy.jpg

The "matic"-part is hopefully on its way to me, most of the other parts will come from my stash and some of them have been used on other BO-bikes already...
In two weeks I have a campground weekend planned and will put together a first POP...

Latest posts

Back