The next contestant........ Hiawatha Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the Hiawatha won the coin toss over the Schwinn for my next build. I have lots of bikes and I need to get on with redoing them. Watching them sit ...Unloved and ignored is so sad. Hey clancy this one will take a little longer ,because there will be some wheel building involved . It came with a new rim, almost finished on the front....Needs the wobble taken out ,and a couple new Fung seui whitewalls. Oh and the best part ....it has a headbadge. he he Well as always watch the build and feel free to comment.

Hiawathabuild003.jpg

Hiawathabuild004.jpg

My Hiawatha has a different headbadge than yours Stretch. Mine is also a Gambles Dept. store bike or at least it says so on the headbadge. Mine has a train on the badge. Any clue about what that says about the years for these bikes?
Photo-0002hi-1.jpg

I noticed that when I saw yours . I have had two so far and both had this style badge. My first one I got from crassly and it had shel in small letters on the badge. He said it was made by shelby. this one has a bunch of numbers in two places on the badge. Mine has rear dropouts and i couldnt tell on yours . this one wasnt skiptooth but it may have been changed at some point. Maybe someone that knows will clue us in. :lol:

Yep mine has the same rear dropouts and the same "chain tensioner" bolts that push the axle back in the dropouts as you tighten them. I thought mine was a 50's era bike but maybe not.

Well today I got all the old patina off and added some new . Its really red . Im not sure what the other color will be yet ..still trying to come up with something a little differant . since we are at 60 degrees Ill have to let this one dry a little before I try to tape it. Still have to beat some dents out of the fenders. Now where did I leave my sledge hammer.

redpaint002.jpg

redpaint003.jpg

Ok today was not as productive. Had to build a wheel for the back. the front one cleaned up good . I have decided on red with black fenders. And $8 worth of Kenda Flames. I tried it with red tires and whitewalls, and neither looked as good. Man I have to order some more Kenda's ....Im running low. :roll: :roll:

mockup002.jpg

60 degrees and it's so cold that the paint isn't drying fast enough!??! In Missouri it's in the 20's and dropping and the paint won't even come out of the can!

Back