The Old West

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few small steps meant big progress for the project yesterday!

First (not pictured,) I dug through my stash of headset bearing cups to see if I had a pair of AMF cups that would work for Old West. Fortunately, I found 3 in perfectly usable condition, and one other in "good enough" condition. I cleaned them all up with a brass wire brush and some #0000 steel wool and set them aside to use later.

Next, I removed some more cups from a pair of donor frames I had sitting in storage. Both required some... unique methods... to remove.

On one frame, I couldn't get my punch to butt up against the cup inside the headtube due to this piece inside, so I had to use a large adjustable wrench and a hammer to knock them out from the outside.
BftD_donor_tires_n_cups_4.jpg
BftD_The_Old_West_10924_1.jpg

Next, I decided to attack this 20" Buzz Bike that had been fighting me since I got it last year. For whatever reason, I could not get that fork nut to come loose for the longest time. In fact, I was beginning to round off the corners of it! So I finally clamped the fork down in my dad's vice, grabbed the big wrench, and told this little Buzz Bike that I wasn't asking it to come apart; I was commanding it to come apart.
BftD_The_Old_West_10924_2.jpg
BftD_The_Old_West_10924_3.jpg

Thankfully, it listened to me for once.
BftD_The_Old_West_10924_4.jpg

Now I have 4 more bearing cups that might work. I won't know for sure until I get them all cleaned up to really assess them. I also have 2 bearings that might be salvageable as well. Unfortunately, the races were grooved, so those won't be any good, but I should have what I need here at home.
BftD_The_Old_West_10924_5.jpg

I also finished cleaning up the seat post, bottom bracket races, and the threads on the crank yesterday.
BftD_The_Old_West_10924_6.jpg

I had cleaned up one post with the wire wheel at the shop, but while it got rid of the rust, it also depleted the chrome finish. So, I cleaned up the other post with some #0000 steel wool, and I think I like that look better.
BftD_The_Old_West_10924_7.jpg
BftD_The_Old_West_10924_8.jpg
BftD_The_Old_West_10924_9.jpg

Also some close-ups of a few other parts I cleaned earlier.
BftD_The_Old_West_10924_10.jpg
BftD_The_Old_West_10924_11.jpg
BftD_The_Old_West_10924_12.jpg

Now that I've knocked out those parts, I'm positive I can rebuild this bike with time to spare before the 20th. I won't be able to do anything on it today, but I should be able to work on it again tomorrow morning.

Made a little more progress on The Old West yesterday. I spent some time shining up the chrome on the handlebars, handlebar stem, crank and chainring. I don't have a ton of photos to share this time, partly because I was more focused on making some progress than documenting said progress, but mostly because there wasn't much of a difference between my before and after pics.

I'm swapping out the original handlebars for a set from another AMF bike. The bars this bike originally had have a slight bend to them, but the replacement thankfully is nice and straight.
BftD_The_Old_West_chrome_1.jpg

I decided to use the original stem though, as I didn't have an exact match in any better condition than what I had. I think it'll be fine either way.
BftD_The_Old_West_chrome_2.jpg

Made some more progress on this Western Flyer last night. I spent some time going over the fork, tank, seat and chain guard with rubbing compound and SC Johnson Paste Wax to help shine everything up before I put it all back together. I also cleaned up the insides as well as the threads on the fork. I didn't get the most dramatic changes before and after cleaning up some of the parts, as most of them had been treated with rubbing compound before.
BftD_The_Old_West_101624_1.jpg
BftD_The_Old_West_101624_2.jpg
BftD_The_Old_West_101624_3.jpg
BftD_The_Old_West_101624_4.jpg
BftD_The_Old_West_101624_5.jpg
BftD_The_Old_West_101624_6.jpg
BftD_The_Old_West_101624_7.jpg
BftD_The_Old_West_101624_8.jpg
BftD_The_Old_West_101624_9.jpg
BftD_The_Old_West_101624_10.jpg
BftD_The_Old_West_101624_11.jpg
BftD_The_Old_West_101624_12.jpg
BftD_The_Old_West_101624_13.jpg

Before I started cleaning the fenders, I wanted to try and straighten out this one fender brace. Unfortunately, I didn't have any luck trying to do that here at home, so I'll have to run it by my dad's shop to use his vice to stand a better chance of fixing it.
BftD_The_Old_West_101624_14.jpg
BftD_The_Old_West_101624_15.jpg
BftD_The_Old_West_101624_16.jpg

It's been a bit more difficult to stay motivated on this project than I thought, but I'm slowing finding my rhythm again. I'm hoping to make a good deal of progress today, but we'll see how that goes. I don't know if I'll be able to finish the bike by the 20th at the rate I'm going, but I'm going to try my best.

Late to bed and late to rise,
Is not a decision I would advise.

-Me, at 11:41pm CST

Once again, I didn't get nearly as much done as I would've liked today due to my poor sleep schedule. Thankfully, I did make a bit of progress today, and I got a feeling tomorrow's going to be even better.

Today, I picked out a set of wheels I can use temporarily until I can get the correct wheels trued. I might not even have to worry about disassembling the hubs and repacking everything, which will be a huge time-saver!

Next, I dug through my crown races to see if I could find the one I planned to use before, which thankfully, I did. I wasn't sure which top race I planned to use though, but I found plenty of matches to the one I needed, albeit with some cleaning required. So, I loaded up my races and took them along with the front fender over to my dad's shop to clean them up.
BftD_The_Old_West_races_n_braces_1.jpg
BftD_The_Old_West_races_n_braces_2.jpg

Most of the crown races weren't in the best shape, as there were slight grooves and pits on most of them, but most of the top races were in good working order.

Next, I used the vice and some pliers to fix the bent fender brace on the front fender. I also adjusted the other braces as needed while I was at it. I wasn't able to get that bent fender brace perfectly straightened up, but for this old bike, I think it's good enough. I'd still like to know how to do it better for future reference, though.
BftD_The_Old_West_races_n_braces_3.jpg
BftD_The_Old_West_races_n_braces_4.jpg
BftD_The_Old_West_races_n_braces_5.jpg
BftD_The_Old_West_races_n_braces_6.jpg
BftD_The_Old_West_races_n_braces_7.jpg
BftD_The_Old_West_races_n_braces_8.jpg

Now that that's out of the way, I'm hoping to make a great deal of progress on this bike tomorrow. I just need to get to bed, like now.

Latest posts

Back