The Postman Always Sands Twice at Night

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I watched the movie The Post Man Always Rings Twice last night so that gave me the idea for this build name. Lana Turner as a platinum blond, this bike being white. Her character tries to manipulate a wanderer into killing off her husband. Proof that 2 negatives can't make anything better.

Starting with a 2012 Schwinn Riva. Sometimes called a Rival or Rivel due to the cutsie graphics. A curved top tube aluminum frame for 29er wheels. The oem shock fork was atrocious so that got sent to scrap metal. No way was this bike ever up to riding on dirt. Most of the parts were missing from this bike and the right rear stays were pushed in about 15 mm at the dropout. I pulled it back out without any visible or audible or sensory cracking. Most aluminum frames would be trash with that much damage. My first intent was to just make this a neighborhood cruiser to replace my quite heavy all steel Magna. Hanger ordered and it arrived in the post already so I started putting parts on it. The wheels fit pretty straight so it's a go. The paint is a bit of a mess. Repaint? Not with some plain color. More on that later. Dismantled the bike and started sanding to rough up the surface. Many of the messy areas cleaned up. All stick on labels removed. The main graphics are part of the paint job. I'm not going for bare metal. Just get the gouges smooth and the oem paint ready for primer. Naked frame is about 5.1 pounds. Washed and out side drying now. The fork is a cromo mtb fork with canti mounts. Instead of 700/29ers, the bike will get 26" disc rear and a 26" front with a v-brake. I picked up a pair of wheels where the black coating on the spokes is mostly flaked off so there might be some painting there too later on. The bike might become a night time cruiser with lots of lights and reflectors. I've been wanting to paint a bike with reflective glass bead paint so this might be it. Applying glass bead to a round pipe isn't easy but his frame has somewhat squarish top & down tubes.

Img_6754.jpg

Last edited:
The crank is a Suntour triple mtb with the rings riveted on. I may grind off the rivets and go for a 7 or 8 speed. That way the bike won't have a front der and the cable stop on the seat tube to block the art work. I don't need 24 gears for going around to the grocery store.

Back