The Rat Rod Ride: New London, CT Aug 2nd.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NLCTVWguy

Rollin' on 20's
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It's that time of year again!

Join the NLCCBC for our annual Rat Rod Ride, Sunday August 2nd!

01rossdowntown.jpg

All vintage bikes are welcome, but this ride is for showing off your custom creations: choppers, stretch frames, tank bikes, custom paint, whitewalls, ballooon tires, lowriders, burrito bikes, trikes, tandems, tall bikes- bring them all down and show them off!

01jchigginsstretch.jpg

Finish up those projects and get them out for a ride!

occwccweld9.jpg

See our website, http://www.bareiss.net/bikeride.html for more info. We will meet at 2:00PM at the Hygienic Art Park, 79 Bank St., New London CT 06320.

nlratrodride080303.jpg

All types of classic and customs are welcome to join us on this easy ride around town.

nlratrodride080306.jpg

We'll grab a beer or an ice cream along the way and enjoy the waterfront and nice summer weather.

nlratrodride080310.jpg

Call Rob at (860) 912 6882 or email: [email protected] with any questions.

--

If you can't get a ride with anyone else, I'll make sure you get down here.
You might have to hang out in my shop all day though and drink beer.

Some of us can't wait:

073009justrats.jpg

--Rob

JoeyMac said:
Awesome! Again, same story as every time:

SOMEONE GIVE ME (and my bike) A RIDE TO THIS!

please? :)

Well, I haven't been able to find a ride yet, but I'd hate to make you come all the way out to Bristol to pick me up.
Do you know anyone coming out that way from this direction?
If I had to hang out in the shop drinking beer all day, I think I'd manage ;)

Coming to New London ride today from Cape Cod making my way through miles of tourist over the the Sagamore bridge. I'm bringing two bikes. I made a Swingbike yesterday for this ride and is for anyone to give a try. Looking foward to meeting you all.

GL

JoeyMac said:

The weather is definitely an issue. It looks to me like it's going to go north of us, and we may be on the edge of it around 3pm. That's using the NWS radar maps- there is a huge system moving our way from NJ right now. We get missed by a lot of these storms for some reason being on the coast, even when the rest of CT gets hammered.

Now, that said, just about everyone who is not local will wind up driving in some rain even if its clear here.

I don't blame anyone if they don't want to take the chance. Our latest forecast is 30% chance of heavy rain. With our luck that means it'll rain 3 minutes out of every 10, but I'm still going to meet for the ride.

If it turns bad we may have to take refuge in a local tavern...

Anyone coming who wants to check on things at the last minute, CALL ME at 860-912-6882.
--Rob

"I made a Swingbike yesterday for this ride and is for anyone to give a try"
I am going to take you up on that offer

Sweet, I got to ride this yesterday down at our City Pier:

bikefesttallbike29.jpg

Oh man I don't think I was that scared of a bike since I was 5 years old.

That was a LONG way down... and no brakes, besides foot-on-back-tire...

--Rob

cody-james said:
"I made a Swingbike yesterday for this ride and is for anyone to give a try"
I am going to take you up on that offer

Look familiar?
NLR-01.jpg

Couldn't pry the bar's from his hands. This bike was being pushed to the limits and I think it was his first ride. The bike did toss him to our amusement, I think joeymac has the picture.

The Huffy Swingbike doing tricks on it's own to impress on lookers.
NLR-02.jpg

What a great day we had in New London. I have to admit I felt safer riding there than I do riding the main roads here on the Cape. Rob gave the city tour, (not to be missed), we talked bikes, ate............. did I mention talked bikes? It was worth the drive there and meet that bunch.

GL

I must admit that was the most fun I've ever had on a bike. Wonderful ride with a great group of people. Greylock you build some wicked sweet bikes, Joey awesome to finally meet you, that diesel was sick, Rob, Maria, Justin, Mary-Anne, As always it was fun.
Sorry the pictures are so crappy
radride001.jpg

radride002.jpg

radride003.jpg

radride004.jpg

took me a couple days, but here are my pics from sunday!

3791021825_c315b8ff21_b.jpg

RoadMaster Diesel was already sporting a new look, just hours after being posted in the finished bike section :lol:
3791022341_b2c600055c_b.jpg

I know Rob is just pointing at something, but it looks like he's rocking out!
3791022719_2d090f5a2b_b.jpg

3791836704_0b09314aa9_b.jpg

3791023591_9e26205c43_b.jpg

3791024099_f6eb8f319d_b.jpg

3791838018_15d4577a22_b.jpg

Peter shows us some swing-bike tricks :)
3791838362_ceccd6e96a_b.jpg

Justin on his "top-secret" chopper... hope I didn't let the cat out of the bag...
3791025401_85ce07a805_b.jpg

my friend from work, Heewon, the happy new owner of the Big Red Rocket of Love
3791025859_f868b1b29b_b.jpg

RoadMaster Diesel is already well-traveled :)
3791839638_abda77d3b2_b.jpg

REPPIN RRB! me, cody-james, NLCTVWguy, and Graylock
3791026487_0869c0e463_b.jpg

to join this posse, you either need a RRB.com t-shirt, or at least some cool facial hair :)

Heewon and I had a great time, it was nice to finally meet you guys face to face (and see you again Rob).

Looking forward to the next time :D

you peeps were really lucky to miss the rain - that's amazing. wish I could have been there. Saturday I did an all nighter drive home straight through from Harrisburg 1am-7am. Never skipped a night's sleep before. It messed me up.

Just got back from a week at the beach, sorry I missed this! :cry: :cry: ................But I had a great time riding there. :D

Haha, that picture of me is pretty funny. I do look like I'm watching
some band... from the 500th row.

I always try to give good information about the area for folks who are visiting.
One of these days we'll get the weather right too. Kota, I know you tried, but
it rained almost as mush as April... so come down to one of the other rides,
and don't worry about the rain.

It was pretty cool that there was a motorcycle run just prior to our ride, and
when we arrived, the streets were lined with Harleys and customs. That
crazy orange one had a 330mm rear tire... I didn't know they went up that high.
Looked like a black beach ball.

I feel kind of bad that my Rat Racer only saw the light (rain?) of day at the end,
but the hub on it started acting up the day before and I still haven't fixed it.

I have a few more pix to get online from both this event and our Bikefest the
day before. But just happened to go for a day trip out to Block Island (cool
place just offshore from Rhode Island)... and what's parked next to my bike?
This little hot rod:

block09bikes58.jpg

How kool is that? Luckiest 9 yr old kid I ever met. It's an Electra Rat Rod... that's
actually what it's called on the frame.

For those of you who missed it, we will be doing a NL City Tour with Bike New London
and some of our city councilors, apparently on Sunday the 30th now... will keep you
posted. And we got in Bike New London t-shirts... I will put up a pic of them real
soon. They'll even help keep you safe riding!

--Rob

Graylock said:
Great pics! Shows what kinda day we had. Rob was rockin out............or was he giving some ritual hand sign to the rain gods :shock: . Either way it worked, the rain stayed clear.

GL

I had to show off the new Bike New London shirts... we just had them made and they came out great!

Next ride I will be wearing these. I got lots of positive comments from folks around town today. Cars actually seemed to give me plenty of space and I know it's raising awareness of our new state law providing for safe biking: http://www.sharetheroadct.org is a state DOT web site that is trying to get the word out.

0807092226.jpg

See you soon and safe cycling!

--Rob

NLCTVWguy said:
I had to show off the new Bike New London shirts... we just had them made and they came out great!

Next ride I will be wearing these. I got lots of positive comments from folks around town today. Cars actually seemed to give me plenty of space and I know it's raising awareness of our new state law providing for safe biking: http://www.sharetheroadct.org is a state DOT web site that is trying to get the word out.

0807092226.jpg

See you soon and safe cycling!

--Rob

That shirt is genious. I love it, I'm going to have to make one similar to it. I almost got hit by a punk in a car last week, riding the chopper... he actually doubled back and again, passed me a total of 3 times. Missed me by less than a foot. I was furious.

Man, I love seeing you guys getting your ride on!

Back