The Silver Straight Bar Special - FINISHED!! PICTURES AND VIDEO!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well a little update from today. Manage to get the fork done!

Yet more polishing! :D

A little Brasso.

And a buff.

Time to finally get it back together again.

Also, the wheels had a dry off over night so I hit them with some 2K matt lacquer this morning. I couldn't wait to see them with the black tyres. Hubs look quite nice. Glad I kept them metal and shiny, turned out alright.

Done!

Not all straight and fixed in place yet, but here's how they look with the frame. It's coming along.

More soon! Keep buildin' guys and girls! :cool:

Hey guys and girls, nearly done on the fork. Here's a few pics.

Started on the second part of the fork, that should all be polished up and done tomorrow

It started to get too dark to see outside, so I thought I'd call it a day and finish up tomorrow. I also went past my local DIY store today and picked up some gloss black paint. I have been thinking how cool it would be to paint the wheels up gloss black and swap the cream tyres for some black. Mmm... It could look super fun all black wheels and tyres with the bare metal. More of that tomorrow, the black paint is ready and waiting! :39:
This looks great! Do you mind me asking what you sanded and polished the fork with? I'm trying to get a similar look on my fork. Was it some sort of rubbing compound then the Brasso?

This looks great! Do you mind me asking what you sanded and polished the fork with? I'm trying to get a similar look on my fork. Was it some sort of rubbing compound then the Brasso?

Hi, thanks! Sure! All I used was a fine grade sandpaper, or scraped of with a painters tool really. For most of the frame I found that heating the paint with a heat gun worked great as it softened it first and then either scraping or sanding if off just until you get to the metal. Then I used a wire polishing brush by Dremel ( 531 cup shape s/steel ), then Brasso and a buff off with a cloth. if it needs it, another Dremel polish. I think once I have the whole bike put together, I will go over with a wax and shine it up a little, hopefully that will protect it a little
too. Hope that helps you a bit. It was just a case of winging it really and just getting it off any way I could. Some areas on the frame were hard to get to :mad::D but I got there in the end!

Little update today. Managed to get the chain disc and cranks done tonight. Cleaned all the bearings and got it ready to fit with fresh grease. Shined up good. Fender is on. Side kickstand on. Pics coming soon of that. But here is the chain disc and cranks.

A little wire wool and WD40. I love WD40!

Little update today. Managed to get the chain disc and cranks done tonight. Cleaned all the bearings and got it ready to fit with fresh grease. Shined up good. Fender is on. Side kickstand on. Pics coming soon of that. But here is the chain disc and cranks.

A little wire wool and WD40. I love WD40!

Wd40 and grease.... Gotta love it!!

Franm

There is a light at the end of the tunnel! Literally!
Here is an old Miller light which I found at VW show here in the UK about a year ago. Picked it up for £7. It was is a pretty bad state when I got it and someone had painted it black. Was cover in a thick layer of greasy oil and grim looking stuff. I cleaned all that off and shined it up. As all the inside was completely rusty and not complete I used a head lamp light, bought for around £5 and took the strap off, glued it straight to the inside bulb holder and its good to go! Here's what I have! NOS bracket from bicyclebones off ebay. Pretty bright too!! Love the side jewels as well.

A video of how easy it is to turn it and off.
http://s22.photobucket.com/user/cgw1/media/DMC Bicycle/24305396-FE84-4C41-AEC8-129599B89E2D_zpspjw96cr3.mp4.html

More coming later!
Charlie :)

Last edited:
So been working on the bike most of the day today. Trying to get all the odd bits a pieces done. Lined up the wheels, chain on, tightened and corrected the kickstand, which was a tad loose, now that all good. I wasn't happy with the handle bars I was going to use, as they had been cut down from a previous build, so I put my schwinn ones on instead. I think the green schwinn grips actually work rather well and go nice with the Wrights brown seat, so I going to stick with those. Some of the pictures are a little dark, I took them at 9.30pm in the garden, but just to give you a look at where i'm at. Got some more to finish up tomorrow, but i'm almost there I think.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back