The Silver Straight Bar Special - FINISHED!! PICTURES AND VIDEO!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It amazes me how hard it is to get the old paint off! When you paint with the stuff available today, look at it crosseyed & it chips or scratches.

Yes, very true. It's amazing how well the paint held up on the old bikes! The new paint really does scratch easy. A least with bare metal I can chuck it in the back of the car and not have to worry about scratches or chips! :D

Are you willing to get the paint off the rims now as well since you are now so very adept at it?

Are you willing to get the paint off the rims now as well since you are now so very adept at it?

Mmm.. Not sure! I actually don't mind the colour of the wheels. I'm going to hold off of any paint removal or respray on them for the minute and wait and see what they look like when the frame and forks have been bare metalled and polished up a bit. Plus they will look quite cool with the seat and the cream. We'll see. I've been super busy with work last couple of days, so shall be back on paint removal in the morning and try and get that frame finished up. More update and pics soon! Keep up the awesome building fellow RatRodBikers the bikes are looking sweet! :thumbsup:

Waiting to see the finished look! In the end, it will end up looking
great! What's x'lnt about ratrodding bikes is that they end up
looking unique each and every time.. Nice work..:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Waiting to see the finished look! In the end, it will end up looking
unique! What's x'lnt about ratrodding bikes is that they end up
looking great! Nice work..:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks very much. It should be a fun look when it's all done. :) I've been.. Yep you guessed it.. getting more paint off today. Not far to go now! A pic from today's session

Also picked up few tools, some more sand paper and a polishing tool for the Dremel, which works nice! Pics of the finished frame soon! :D

I have always been awwwww-strucked with your bikes,can't wait to see the end results of this one...

Hey guys! So it's been a busy couple of days and I have finally got the paint off the frame. Man that was tough! It still needs a little polish up, but here are so progress pics of the frame.

Here it is. I'm going to do some cleaning up tomorrow and try and get the metal to shine up a bit more, but it nice to see the whole frame in bare metal, finally!!

Also picked up some Brasso.

( I think in the states you guys have Nevr Dull ) this is basically the same thing as that. So I'm going to give that a try tomorrow and see how it looks. I'll get some pics. Hope everyone is having fun! Charlie

She's a beauty in bare metal!
We have Brasso in the US too. My dad used to use it on his Air Force brightwork (belt buckles and such).

She's a beauty in bare metal!
We have Brasso in the US too. My dad used to use it on his Air Force brightwork (belt buckles and such).

Oh, that's cool! Hopefully it will help shine up the frame! I use it quite a bit on some old brass taps and door handles and it works wonders. Looking forward to seeing what it does to the frame. Thanks Kingfish :thumbsup: Your bike is looking sweet by the way, just awesome! :rockout:

Thanks very much dude! That's very kind. :)
ya!!! mean Gal...;):21:
I noticed your in the UK...
Are you shipping these frames and parts from the usa,or do you have a ole barn full of them?

Are you shipping these frames and parts from the usa,or do you have a ole barn full of them?

OOPS! :oops: I didn't know char was from Venus and not from Mars. Sorry Miss Char. Build on with your bad self!

Apologies, I meant Gal! :) I wish I had a barn of them, but alas I do not :( I do have three bicycles though! A Schwinn Wasp which I repainted a few years ago, had the whole bike shipped from the states. I also have the 'Fairbank Flyer' I did for the build off two years ago and this bike I'm doing now was one, but took it apart about a year ago and it was just sitting waiting to be used for this build off! I of course hope to keep adding to the collection, it's very addictive! :D

Yikes! Great job getting it stripped down, and I thought paint was hard work.

Good luck, Rg
Thanks! It has taken a long time to get the paint off. I started to get annoyed the other day, so I had to stop for a bit, it's getting it out of all the welds and small areas that's the most difficult! It coming along now though. Pics coming in a while!

Latest posts

Back