the singapore stretch

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: chusan's trike project. "The Singapore Stretch"

briancustoms said:
ohchusan said:
ah yes....i see it. btw, how does this brake perform? would i need to add another brake at the front or will this suffice?

Well, I'm about 220lbs, with my weight on the trike it stops me pretty decent when I'm cruising around town. If I'm coming down a hill at decent speeds it takes a little more planning and early speed control with it. So if you're just going to be primarily cruising around on level ground it should do fine, If you plan on doing some fast riding or quick stopping I would add a front brake.

thanks for the input, yes primarily along flat ground and definitely no speed trials for me...i dun think the old ticker can handle it...honestly i was just thinking "front disc brake attached to bent springer fork" just for the high tech + old school melding....but i think i'll stick with just that stock rear brake for now, no point doing all the mods at one go, how would i occupy my time then...when its all said and done???!!!

been wrenching late last night after the kiddies were off to sleep. only now managed to get the chain around the derailer, (never had a derailer bike before, so i'm not sure if i got the angle/tensions right yet....)

opened up my front gate, wheeled her out into the open to try and get some pictures, only to realize that i left the camera back at the office :shock: ...so i wheeled her right back indoors again...sorry guys, pics will have to wait for a day or two.. :oops:

rolling chassis now...

still missing brakes and the shifter is a temp measure....looking for a suitable cool looking 5 speed stick shifter...
anywez, here she is guys and gals....
sorry for the poor pics, not sure how to use the neighbours camera...

2537788393_28b2b5d53b.jpg

2537788383_c7f1d2f2af.jpg

JUICY!!!! the lines are perfect. Oh boy, is that thing going to be fun to ride.

fun to ride? heck yeah! haha thanks for the kind words.

well, had my first ride on this trike today....worked up a sweat just getting her into the elevator. turned many a head...there was even one woman who broke into uncontrollable laughter as her kids went "WAHHHHHH"... man, was tough holding my head up after that, she prolly wondered why a fully grown man was riding a tricycle! but from the maiden ride, few things to tackle. one is the darn 5 speed, must figure out how to tune this derailer thingee properly...kept wanting to ghost shift. either that or this plastic thumb shifter really sucks. ah well,
also, need to get a longer bolt and add spacers in between the fork legs and the steerer tube, my 3" front tire kept rubbing the fork as i turned.
the funniest thing was trying to counter the trike leaning from one side to another... then i quickly realised that the road was king and i was just its humble puppet.... haha good fun though...

anyone know if the shimano 5 speed stick shifter is worth getting? i saw one on ebay. i think a stick shifter will look the part on this trike.

Hello Again! The Shimano Five speed shifters are great, AND.....I have a couple just sitting around doing nothing. They are used but in good condition.. i'll post pics later today if you want. You can take your pick and if you pay shipping I will gladly send it to you...no other cost! :D

I would love to contribute to this build, and yeah, a stick would look great on your bike :wink:

bombshelterbikes said:
Hello Again! The Shimano Five speed shifters are great, AND.....I have a couple just sitting around doing nothing. They are used but in good condition.. i'll post pics later today if you want. You can take your pick and if you pay shipping I will gladly send it to you...no other cost! :D

I would love to contribute to this build, and yeah, a stick would look great on your bike :wink:

:shock: :shock: thats like the nicest offer ever! yes please post some pics sir,then again, i'll take whatever you're willing to toss my way. i'm truly touched! :oops: is this like what normally happens here at RRB? :shock: just let me know how much shipping is to Singapore. is paypal ok?

is this like what normally happens here at RRB?

Heck, you'll see entire bikes built free for kids, family, and girlfriends on here all the time. If everything was free on here I don't think any of us would have jobs anymore, but you've got a popular build going, the donor has a surplus of parts, and we're all enthusiasts who would love to see the hobby catch fire in places like Singapore.

You've probably already seen the interest in ride pics, next time you and your group goes for a ride just pay it forward with some pics of the Stretch out on the street, or just help out a newbie getting started in Singapore!

been trying to figure out what to attach to the rear of the trike.
for sure my 5 yr old daughter's got her heart set on riding shotgun with her pops,
so besides slapping another seat back there, was thinking about some alternatives before i went ahead with materials sourcing.

i could fab this out and place padding on the insides... she'll love pretending to be a sack of potatoes fer sure! haha
2549814190_eb11074922.jpg

That's super similar to the idea I have for my girlfriend's trike, only I was thinking aluminum and diamond plating. :wink:

cool! have you started on that yet? i'd like to see this!
i guess there are only so many options you can have with a trike's back end. :lol:

i think a moon tank would look great in that truck bed but, i dun have the abilities/talent to fab that out...haha

i did consider building a coach-like fixture with a cushy seat inside but i'm afraid that may be a little too over the top.

That is one beautiful trike I just couldn't imagine trying to get that in an elevator...wow, but my daughter would love ride with dad more often ,right now she has one of those trailer things.

Gold Street Customs said:
That is one beautiful trike I just couldn't imagine trying to get that in an elevator...wow, but my daughter would love ride with dad more often ,right now she has one of those trailer things.

thanks dude!

imagine the faces of the folks waiting outside the lift doors and when the doors open and this loooong bike comes out of the lift! just like the "200 clowns coming out of the small clown car" gimmick ....same jaw dropping action! hahaha

since the start of this trike project, my 9 year old daughter has always mumbled under her breath that my bike looks silly and that i'm silly for wanting to ride something like this.....well, today, she finally crumbled and wanted to have a go....hahaha i bet she don't think me or my trike silly now!

dad:1 - daughter:0

VERY Cool! :mrgreen:

I bet she's was luvin' it... thinkin' "coolest trike in town... and MY dad built it..."

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

yep, i think she can't have enuf of it. :lol: :lol:
she keeps buggin me to go riding...

anywez, i spent the good part of this week trying to source for suitable materials, and instead of just bolting on another springer out back, where my youngest might fall off at the next bump on the road, i decided to build a truck bed,
sumthin like this
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarleys/57 ... 415507763/

so instead of buying wood and stuff,
i used one of these that i bought from ikea some time back, but definitely under utilized....
2578910093_43717e033d_o.jpg

well, that's one way of keeping the cost down a little... and clears up a little space at home at the same time...:wink:

but the stock dimensions of the rack meant i had to trim "a little off the sides".....
2579664134_279e886a77_b.jpg

had to trim off the excess twice before i felt that the size was just right.....my kids were on hand to give me the thumbs up or thumbs down until everyone was happy.

here's a trial fit....just too see if it was still tooo big....still quite a long ways to go in terms of finish.
2579664144_81480208e7_b.jpg

glad too see youre getting the kids into it also........pretty soon theyll be asking 'when are you going to make me a bike?' or better yet...'when can i make a bike?' :mrgreen:

Back