The Switch Up

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I shelfed the DP Harris build for now. I still am too on the fence to do anything to it at the moment.

Instead I'm entering this mid 50's Evans Colson Sonic Scout. I've had it for a bit and have had plans for it but it still never got the attention it deserved. I found a tank for it and figure it's time to finally finish it and give it the life it deserves again.

Things I have planned right now...
-Re-spray
-Springer fork
-Black wheels (maybe some high spoke count wheels?)
-Long spring saddle
-Tank/rear rack (acquired)
-U bars

Probably do without the fenders anymore. Haven't figured it all out but that's a start

vlvs22Hl.jpg

Attachments

• 26992314_10155688805304017_6157109167417413673_n[1].jpg
    26992314_10155688805304017_6157109167417413673_n[1].jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
Great foundation, but yeah, the cut-up fenders and Christmas colors are a little hokey. I wouldn't outright trash the mud covers, though...maybe consider re-positioning them a bit and adding a ducktail.

Super cool bones to start with.

Snapped some photos of the tank and rack. Got some chain guard decals reproduced as well when I had the Higgins build I recently completed decals done.

igx1cAt.jpg

Have had some time this weekend, bike is now stripped down. Frame is almost prepped for paint. It actually looks like someone hand painted it at some point it's quite the mess.

Ordering up some paint today. I have a 67 Speedster project that's getting painted as well figure while I have the sprayer set up will probably use the same paint on both and age the Colson a little.

Next up: paint than ordering/fitting a springer fork

EvansColson bikes are rare and cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same as my first bike, around 1963, only mine was 24". I never knew what it was until I came to this website. Mine didn't have a tank, but the same carrier front and rear.

Did a quick little mock up. Thinking about some paint splatter to liven it up a little. Hoping to have time tomorrow to do that and re-assemble a few things. Need to mess with the bar/stem and fork as well...haven't touched them yet as they are in there real good. Need to put some elbow grease into getting them out

TOw7cCj.jpg

If you haven't tried it before, PB Blaster is a good rust penetrating catalyst.
PBblaster.jpeg

Also, with stuck stem / bars and fork, I have mounted the bike in a repair stand held by the seat tube, put one strong guy on the bars and stick a 2 x 4 in between the fork legs. Make sure all head set nuts and stem bolt are loose and then alternately pull on either the bars or the lumber; providing resistance at the other end. Shoot the head tube with PB from top and bottom beforehand, and in between sessions of torquing. It can take a day or two sometimes, but this hasn't failed me yet!

Oh yes I've used PB Blaster on many occasions. I've been spraying it the past few weeks letting it sit. Going to try to get it all off today, hoping it goes well

If you haven't tried it before, PB Blaster is a good rust penetrating catalyst.
View attachment 70983

Also, with stuck stem / bars and fork, I have mounted the bike in a repair stand held by the seat tube, put one strong guy on the bars and stick a 2 x 4 in between the fork legs. Make sure all head set nuts and stem bolt are loose and then alternately pull on either the bars or the lumber; providing resistance at the other end. Shoot the head tube with PB from top and bottom beforehand, and in between sessions of torquing. It can take a day or two sometimes, but this hasn't failed me yet!

Nice work on the patina
That looks like a great rider too.

Latest posts

Back