The terrible creations that we call "hills"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question regarding these abominations known as hills. Should I use a smaller chainwheel up front to fight the steep hills of the neighborhood? I currently run a 46 tooth up front and it's great for casual riding, but really not that great when fighting a literally uphill battle. I have a much smaller one (36 tooth I think), and I am curious to know if that combined with my cruiser's long crank arms would be better for hills.

I took my chances and swapped a monster 46 tooth for a little 36 tooth and it made a huge difference. Long crank arms, combined with the better gearing made this ride a good one. I actually broke more sweat from being able to ride longer up and down the 'hood.

I am a firm believer in long arm cranks. All my muscle bikes have them and i keep a suppily under the bench from old mtn. bikes and cruisers. I gear mine at 44/18 and i like that combination. Not sure how a small sprocket up front would do like a 36t. Dont want to pedal like a circus monkey but dont like to be in a strain either.

44/18 long arm setup works for me and we have some hills here. Only a couple around here where i may need to "push" so i just avoid those.

Latest posts

Back