The "Triple Spyder Bite" - 8/27 UPDATE - 99% DONE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I like to let everyone know that this is my first documented build. I have fixed up many older bikes before but this is my first build sharing to the public. I recently finished my very first Stingray (1967 Deluxe) I ever bought but still waiting on a seat or else I would post pics. So, without further adieu I present you the start of what I would like to call "Triple Spyder Bite".

The main components I will be working with are as follows:

A 24" Spyder frame with rear wheel (will not be using), derailleur, shifter, and chain. This bike has been neglected by the previous owner and is definetly in need of some parts. I picked this up from Kratefest 2012 for $20.
2012-07-12174549.jpg

Next is the seat I will be using (minus the broken sissy bar), chain guard from an old 3 speed murray, spyder apes, and a 24" rat trap springer. Springer was from Kratefest 2012 and the rest are parts from a craigslist bike I tore apart.
2012-07-12174605.jpg

Last are the wheels. 5-speed rear wheel with a drum brake and a front wheel. Both have the original tires but I do need a replacement for the front since its pretty ratty. These also came off the craigslist bike I tore apart. Also, I always thought the stripes were painted on but the front tire looks like it was painted all black using a red tire?!?!? :shock: Oh yeah, and original white w/black stripe pedals.
2012-07-12182835.jpg

Here is the frame with components removed and chainguard getting ready for the stripper.
2012-07-12182750.jpg

I also have two brake set-ups for the main frame of the bike and a new chrome chain to replace the rusted one. Now its time to soak all the chrome pieces and strip the frame. Gonna be a busy weekend.

I forgot to add this but here was my parts bike to help with this manly build. Paid $100 for this one and a coaster model. I used this frame and the coaster model parts for a bike I built for the wife.
spyder.jpg

Re: The "Triple Spyder Bite"

So I got to strippin the frame and chainguard on Friday. Most of the spray paint and factory original paint came off ok. But still a lot of the paint in the crevices and seams that didn't come off with the stripper. I spent about 4 hours this weekend with a wire wheel and sand paper on the frame. Still a lot to do left but its coming along nicely and once all the paint is gone I will have a great surface to paint on. Over time I have come to realize that a great starting surface results in a great looking paint job. Still have work to do but here it is so far.

2012-07-16061344.jpg

Also soaked all the chrome parts but I have no pictures of those.

Re: The "Triple Spyder Bite"

Had a long week of sanding the frame and cutting the chainguard. This frame was a pain since it has that double bar design but I got it done. Here is a shot of all the chrome pieces and final chainguard look. The forks came out pretty good besides in between the coils of the spring which I couldn't reach but overall it looks better than it did. The chain ring I ended up removing the outer chainguard since I like the look of the star shaped sprocket as seen in the pic. Kinda like the early Schwinn Fastback Sprints. Plus the chaingaurd fits around it better.

2012-07-19182942.jpg

The front tire that was originally on the bike was some generic beat up weathered old dry rotted tire that did not look like it would hold its own weight and had tears all over it. When I picked up the bikes the previous owner had what looks like the original front Carlisle Ribgripper tire that came with the bike. It was in pretty nice shape so I swapped tires and dig the look a lot better. The red line is faded but I have plans for that later on. Plus it fits the rear slick also.

2012-07-19183918.jpg

Here is the bike mocked up before it went for paint using the old rear tire and the new front tire. I painted it over the weekend which is still in its drying hours. This week I will be wet sanding the whole frame and guard and putting the final coats on. Pics in color to come later on this week.

2012-07-20061659.jpg

Re: The "Triple Spyder Bite" - 7/23 UPDATE

So thanks to the rain and humid temperatures last week I couldn't finish painting the bike until late Friday and into Saturday. So, during the week I focused on cleaning a few remaining parts of the bike. First was the derailleur. Pretty greasy with some spray paint covering the bracket. I didn't think all the moving parts and the little chain wheels would be a good idea for an OA bath so I figured why not try some vinegar.

Here is the derailleur before the bath and how it looked coming off the bike. The parts bike did come with a derailleur but was real rusty. I figure this one was only dirty and would clean up way better.

2012-07-19173454.jpg

This is how the derailleur looks after sitting in the vinegar for 24 hours. I only scrubbed some grime off the wheels but overall looks much much better.

2012-07-29145507.jpg

Another main component that needed attention was the shifter and cosole. Here is how the shifter looked when I first got it. The shifter arm was bent and rusty and the console had been sprayed with overspray from the spray paint.

2012-07-26180006.jpg

And here it is after a nice scrub down using some chrome polish and a sos pad. Also had to take some paint thinner for the thick painted areas. The shifter I had straightened and decided to paint since the rust was pitted and couldn't clean up. Also decided to paint the shift knob to match the bike since it was very yellow and ugly. Still trying to find a replacement cable for the shifter but other than that I think it looks alright. The bottom half is a little more beat up than anticipated but it is what it is.

2012-07-29145720.jpg

Re: The "Triple Spyder Bite" - 7/30 UPDATE

Wasn't going to add this sneak peak of the frame drying but figure my update needs more than just two cleaned parts. This frame has 2 coats primer, 3 coats color (sunset orange), and two coats clear. The picture was taken in my basement so it looks a lot darker than it really is. I'm going to start assembling this bike this week so I figure a pic of the colored frame would give you rodders some idea of the bikes outcome. Always wanted an orange bike so thats why I chose it.

2012-07-29151109a.jpg

Here is the paint I used on this frame. I wanted to post this because I wanted to warn everyone out there ratting that this has been the worst spray paint I have ever used. Not only is the handle just awkward but the paint would not stop splattering out of the nozzle. It also sprays a very large quanity of paint at a time so overspray on the ground and my shoes was worse than ever. I feel a lot was wasted because of the nozzle design. I would not buy this if you want to have a super nice finish to the bike. I had to constantly wet sand the splatter out of the paint so it wouldn't show through the clear and it also had to do with why my bike took so long to paint.

247561.jpg

Re: The "Triple Spyder Bite" - 7/30 UPDATE - Paint

Cool frame! Like a smaller Spaceliner frame.
I am using that same shifter on my BO7 bike Flex-Liner 7, but I have mounted mine to the lower twin tubes.

Nice color choice! I look forward to folowing this one.

Thanks kingfish. I did notice you had the same shifter but with a sweet 7 ball attached. Did you by chance get a new cable for it? I can't seem to located a cable for mine since the shifter end is very tiny unlike the normal sized brake lever ones. I was going to salvage the old cable but its just too rusty and brittle.

DPARTY82 said:
Thanks kingfish. I did notice you had the same shifter but with a sweet 7 ball attached. Did you by chance get a new cable for it? I can't seem to located a cable for mine since the shifter end is very tiny unlike the normal sized brake lever ones. I was going to salvage the old cable but its just too rusty and brittle.

Took some photos for you tonight. I used an old downtube shifter cable. See photos below.

WP_000198.jpg

WP_000199.jpg

WP_000200.jpg

WP_000201.jpg

WP_000202.jpg

WP_000204.jpg

I needed more cable travel for the Nexus 7 hub. I left the front detent tab in place.

WP_000205.jpg

But I broke off the rear one.

WP_000206.jpg

I hope that helps out.

Thanks for the help Kingfish. I'm gonna be stopping by my LBS tonight and hopefully getting some cables. I also need two rear brake cables and possibly new levers. I'm hoping he can either order me one like I need or I will have to try your solution. I also think I need to invest in some tire levers. Went through three tubes this week on the front tire using screw drivers for my leverage and I got were holes. I have never encountered so many popped tubes before this bike.

Been a long week again. Spent all last weekend assembling the bike into a rolling one. Ended up out in Madison at a bike shop and picked me up some fresh cables and all brand new housings. To Kingfish, I ended finding a replacement cable for the shifter and of course it costed me a pretty few pennies (righ pic). The bike shop told me they stopped making this cable so thats why the high cost. Ended up getting all the brake cables (3) and all housing for 1/5 the price of the shifter cable. I did have the cable like the one above but it seemed to have a long lasting kink which I thought would wear prematurely. I also bought some new valve stem covers and bolts that I will be using on a license plate.

2012-08-10061251.jpg

Heres a shot of the freshly painted seat (flowers had to go) using some vinyl paint. Worked really good. And yes, the seat a big slit in the middle but it was cheaper than buying a big ... banana seat that is comfy. I also scored a 32" sissy bar from the bike shop also. Had to include a sneak peak of the front of the bike for you guys also. Added a fresh orange line using a elmers glue wally world paint marker. Worked alright for what I was using it for. Think it looks killer.

2012-08-08062427.jpg

And last, the finished chainguard. Used some painters tape and masked the lines. Didn't want too thick of lines and I think its gonna be a nice touch to the bike.

2012-08-08062131.jpg

Just a side note....I paid the cost the other day while working on my bike that persuaded me into investing in a bike stand. I have always tried work with them close to the ground or on my washer but the other day the bike fell over while widening the rear and scratched the side of the frame. I really hate to have to paint the whole bike again so I think I will just keep it a secret and touch it up. Until next time.....

Re: The "Triple Spyder Bite" - 8/10 UPDATE - Goodies

This build is looking real good. Gotta love orange. I've got one of those Carlisle tires also,they're pretty cool looking. I wish I had the bike it came off but I don't know what it was! You are right about that paint too, I have used another "high coverage" can and it was terrible.

Looking forward to seeing your finished ride.

Can finally say she's 99 percent done. Still waiting on the last part and that is the speedometer cable. Some of you know I bought this speedometer not knowing the cable was broke so I am waiting on a replacement one. Other than the bike is complete. Thanks for the onlookers and the rodders that commented.

2012-08-24081315.jpg

2012-08-24081245.jpg

behind1.jpg

That turned out super !!!!!!!!
Great job!!

DPARTY82 said:
Can finally say she's 99 percent done. Still waiting on the last part and that is the speedometer cable. Some of you know I bought this speedometer not knowing the cable was broke so I am waiting on a replacement one. Other than the bike is complete. Thanks for the onlookers and the rodders that commented.

2012-08-24081315.jpg

2012-08-24081245.jpg

behind1.jpg

Cool bike. I'm little confused with the picture. Why did it has stem shifter?

Re: The "Triple Spyder Bite" - 7/30 UPDATE

DPARTY82 said:
Wasn't going to add this sneak peak of the frame drying but figure my update needs more than just two cleaned parts. This frame has 2 coats primer, 3 coats color (sunset orange), and two coats clear. The picture was taken in my basement so it looks a lot darker than it really is. I'm going to start assembling this bike this week so I figure a pic of the colored frame would give you rodders some idea of the bikes outcome. Always wanted an orange bike so thats why I chose it.

2012-07-29151109a.jpg

Here is the paint I used on this frame. I wanted to post this because I wanted to warn everyone out there ratting that this has been the worst spray paint I have ever used. Not only is the handle just awkward but the paint would not stop splattering out of the nozzle. It also sprays a very large quanity of paint at a time so overspray on the ground and my shoes was worse than ever. I feel a lot was wasted because of the nozzle design. I would not buy this if you want to have a super nice finish to the bike. I had to constantly wet sand the splatter out of the paint so it wouldn't show through the clear and it also had to do with why my bike took so long to paint.

247561.jpg
Really bad paint viewtopic.php?f=1&t=63318

Latest posts

Back