The Way Out Suburbanite

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Some of you may remember this frame from the Anything Goes Challenge, The frame is still a stock '30's Colson, I striped the paint and rust and then clear coated it, then dropped out of the Challenge and the frame has been spawning ideas since then! I am ready and this last week have been itching to start this build. I am in it to win it, and unlike my RRBBO4 I will take the final pics before I sell it!!

IMG_0294-1.jpg

IMG_0295-1.jpg

Sorry about the dark photos, my camera thought there was enough light, and would use the flash! :|

1st day of mock up, Not to impressive. Got the Front end mocked and the massive chain ring mounted

Not my favorite Forks in the world, but I already owned them and custom paint will go along ways in making them custom. Nirve ...... tire, old MTB front wheel.
DSC00746.jpg

DSC00750.jpg

Massive chain ring off a 19teens Columbia built moto-bike
Sanding off Rust:
IMG_0296.jpg

Weird Lip that the chain rides on:
IMG_0301.jpg

All Sanded and ready for Paint:
IMG_0298.jpg

Three Coats of Rust-Oleum Alumium Paint:
DSC00748.jpg

Thankfully the Colson Chain Stays are off set and really long:
DSC00747.jpg

Best Chainring I have seen. It probably took a thicker chain at some point. Does a regular chain fit on it?

cman said:
Best Chainring I have seen. It probably took a thicker chain at some point. Does a regular chain fit on it?
Thanks, I rebuilt the bike it came off of for a customer of mine, he wanted a skip tooth drive and so I scored this one! The original chain which was frozen around the sprokets and had to be cut in two pieces to get it off, it was a normal 1/2" pitch chain.

Hooch said:
i wanna see the legs that will have to pedal it! lol

No you don't their really not that pretty!LoL!

This was my rider from last year, believe it or not really not that hard to ride, its 1940 Columbia built, Sterling Badge. 1960's Schwinn Exercise Bike Sprocket.
IMG_0260-1.jpg

lobsterboyx said:
one of my fav frames! and what a beautiful chain ring! cant wait to see that up and going

Thanks, like wise on the Elgin, this year its good to be different!!!

Re: The Way Out Suburbanite(tank insert) 5/4/10

Started the woodie process today(lots more Woodie to come) Again sorry for the bad photos, I was using my IPhone.

Template using 1/2" furniture grade Baltic Birch ply
IMG_0435.jpg

Two halves, I routed the inside so they would sit over the frame
IMG_0436.jpg

Walnut fins
IMG_0439.jpg

since the frame was outside I took the opportunity to cut the drop stand stop off on the chain guard side.
IMG_0438.jpg

All together
IMG_0440.jpg

I dropped the chainring off at the platers, going to be Nickle plate. Found some Black 26 x 2.35 rims at my LBS and some cream Electra Classic Pattern tires, and last but not least, first coat of primer went on. Kinda like the flat maroon primer it my stay.

Wheels
IMG_0444.jpg

Paint
IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

Re: The Way Out Suburbanite(tank insert) 5/4/10

Schweetcruisers said:
since the frame was outside I took the opportunity to cut the drop stand stop off on the chain guard side.
IMG_0438.jpg
I was really saddened to see a prewar frame damaged so it couldn't be restored later if someone wanted. :(
oh well, it isn't mine. :oops:

37fleetwood said:
I was really saddened to see a prewar frame damaged so it couldn't be restored later if someone wanted. :(
oh well, it isn't mine. :oops:
Don't look at my RRBBO4 Build then! :shock: Serously, I would never do this with complete original bikes, but the frame(s)I use are of bikes parted out long ago and left to die behind a barn, I'm saving them and bringing them back to life, please, please don't take this wrong way but this is a custom bike site!!!!

This is what I started with, the pedals were so rusted and there was a farmer re-weld on the crank arm so you coudn't remove the bottom braket so I had to band saw the crank off

IMG_0295.jpg

Sorry if your offended or saddened :(

Paint is done, shes a stunner, the IPhone camera does not do the color justice, decided to go with Dupli-color Mirage Color Shifting paint system, very cool product. I went with the Blue-Red shift but they have others, I will try and steal my wifes camera tomarrow and post some better pics.

IMG_0451.jpg

Thanks for the comments, I broke down and bought a new camera last night so better pics are on their way!!!

sensor said:
looks sweet and that chainring is another thing id kill for!

Thanks, the chain ring is getting Nickle Plated right now, I just couldn't bring my self to not restore that thing, it'll be back in 3 weeks!

udallcustombikes said:
The paint looks cool. Did the paint go on easy?

Very easy, just follow the directions to the "t", even how to shake the cans. I thought I knew how to shake spray paint cans, yeah this stuff needs to be shaken a certain way to go on correct. My only complant is the cans are small and it took two kits to get the depth I wanted. I would recommend it though!

Latest posts

Back