Thick Brick dimensions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping someone who has some thick bricks mounted up can tell me their approximate overall diameter and width at their widest point. I'm building up a prewar 24" Women's Silver King Aluminum frame for my wife and I'm pretty sure that they'll fit. My LBS has a pair of cream ones on sale for $40, and I'm thinking of jumping on them.

Also, if anyone has any forks for this frame that they'd like to sell, let me know. Thanks!

my 24" thick brick looks to be 25 1/2" tall, 2 5/8" wide- mounted on a rim that measures 1 1/4" wide. :)

I'm pretty sure the Silver King came with the iconic 'Monark-style' springer. Good news is, girls forks pop up here and on eBay for sale all the time. Bad news, you can't squeeze a 24 x 3 sized tire between the 'main' fork blades (trust me on this one :wink: )
You could also run a Thick Brick on the rear and a Quick Brick up front. The 26" Quick Brick is less than an inch taller than the 24" Thick Brick.

Other options include swapping out the 'main' fork for a wider one, like I did:
DSCF2151.jpg

Or widening a traditional 'Schwinn-style' springer. Monark produced a similar style of their own.

Just my .02

Cheers,
Dr. T

Dr. Tankenstein said:
.....You could also run a Thick Brick on the rear and a Quick Brick up front......

sshhhh.....ix-nay on the ombo-cay, that's my build off plan!

just kidding- i know it's been done plenty of times. :mrgreen:

Actually, nearly all of the silver kings I've seen have super nice looking cast aluminum forks with loads of room to accommodate nice, full stainless steel fenders that I'll likely not be using. Man's version of the frame I'm building is this one:

1937mon.jpg

This is what I'm starting with:

184300_1862352003299_1375922451_2150548_483729_n.jpg

My victories so far have been freeing the seatpost from the frame and repairing the seat tube that had a dent and a corresponding bend it had, and undoing the bottom bracket. I'm going to have to take the cut-off wheel to the crank to get the pedal off and remove the crankset. Everything on the thing that's steel is completely rusted. But, there's one of these frames on eBay (with fork lock) for $175, and I only paid $40 for this, so I figure I'm a bit ahead. I'm going to polish the crap out of the frame and set it up with the cream Thick Bricks, 3-speed coaster - probably a Sturmey Archer, and two-tone blue (light and lighter) accent colors. The wifey's gonna love it!

Latest posts

Back