This is the site I was looking for...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody,

I'm very interested in building up an old middleweight frame on the cheap. I have little interest in original paint/components; I just want a bike that's all me. This looks like the place to be!

I don't cut/weld, so I'll be limited to refinishing, but that's fine, because in my head is a very simple clean bike. I'm also not going to be able to start building until this fall, as my wife is having our first baby this spring and we're buying our first house. Yup. I'll be busy enough. But come fall/winter, I'm looking to have a garage project going. This will give me time to find the right deal on the right frame and slowly gather parts.

I'm thinking I'm looking to completely strip repaint an old Schwinn Corvette, Typhoon, Speedster, Etc. (They're kinda all the same frames, no?) I'm thinking coaster brake (clean, no cables). Learn how to remove rust. Paint some rims, find a cool seat and some funk handlebars. Maybe some corkwrap. All black with one accent color maybe. Yeah, lots of ideas. I'm excited to start my own build thread.

Anyway, lots of fun ideas and great bikes in here too, so I'll keep looking around for now.

Welcome!

welcome and congrats !!! im getting ready to become a new dad myself !!! as far as the frame question, you mentioned middleweights (typically means it takes a 1.75" or 1-3/4" )

typhoon and corvettes are middleweights

but the speedster is a lightweight

if you want big fat balloon tires (2.125") and fenders, space will be tight on a middleweight but still do-able.

ask anything you need to know and we'll help as best as we can :)

Oh, and I also have a mid 70s Stingray II that needs some serious love. My brother won it in a coloring contest though, so I want to practice on my own ride first. Don't want to mess up the family vintage Schwinn too badly! Plus, I think they'd rather see that one a bit more on the "factory" side than the custom side.

sting2.png

CCR said:
welcome and congrats !!! im getting ready to become a new dad myself !!! as far as the frame question, you mentioned middleweights (typically means it takes a 1.75" or 1-3/4" ) typhoon and corvettes are middleweights but the speedster is a lightweight.

Good to know. I think I'm definitely headed in the Mid range. I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions in the next year tho! Thanks!

Welcome, congrats on the new addition to the family and the new home. You'll be plenty busy with both, so the bike will be your escape. :mrgreen:

Dont be afraid to ask any and all questions you have, as odds are that someone here will have an proven answer for you.

As for your resto of your brothers bike, are you keeping the original paint? If so I have always had good luck with this process: 1] clean the bike with a good degreaser (simple green); 2] clean the paint with turtle wax brand polishing (not rubbing) compound; 3] use a good quality paint polish (i use mothers) to bring out the shine and get rid of dull spots; [4] wax it. This process makes the paint pretty, cleans up the small scrtches, and retains a bit of the patina (read: character) that makes old bikes special. Thats my .02

Crassly said:
Actually, the late 1950's Speedsters were middle weights also. Same cantilever frame as the others.

i keep forgetin they didnt start and stop making bikes in the 60's :mrgreen:

Welcome o the site...
Having a kid on the way is justification to build up a wicked tricycle. Most of my bikes are "For the Kids" :mrgreen: We have four of them I get to build for...

It's neat that you have the bicycle your brother won. A restoration on that would be nice. Welcome to the forum. This is a great place.

Back