this place is rat-tacular!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.

i'm located in london ontario(approx 2.5 hours due east of detroit, in the great white north.lol)
i'm fairly new to custom bike building, but i have alot of hobbies that have sharpend my bike building skills.
i have a few custom rides. i do have a question, what is and isn't considered a rat rod?

this was the first of my bikes. the only thing vintage is the 1970's firestone ashtray i'm using as a speaker housing.
the bike started life as a retro beach cruiser (supercycle-ccm) i didnt do much other than add components and alot of extra metal. its riddled with skull/dice/8 ball bolts, chrome skulls,custom cut flamed fenders,sterio, attena/jolly roger,lights horns, custom eighball suntour shifter etc etc. it started as a joke, and just got alittle crazy. that being said, i love it to death. 26" on the back,20 on the front.
IMG_1200.jpg

my second build was little more custom. it always gets one of 2 responses. wow i love it, or wow i cant believe you chopped a 67 schwinn stingray deluxe.
i'n my own defense, it was in rough shape and found in the trash. it still sports the original tractor grip tires (front and rear),grips,rims etc. i sent it to get hard chrome plated and found out i wouldn't get it back for 6 weeks.
IMG_0886.jpg

so i started yet another build
1970's girls rapido
IMG_0953.jpg

IMG_1150.jpg

IMG_1146.jpg

and i bet ya'll never guess what i was doing this weekend until it started to rain.

rat rods or not? i guess you guys would know, ya seem to be the experts.

love the forum and i adore the bikes.
i have a few other vintage rides
ccm cougar x-100 with sturmey archer stick shift
western flyer x-53 in route
and a couple other beaters.

i'll be sure to post pic's of the most resent build when its alittle closer to completion.
looking forward to spending many a sleepless night surfin.

keep those bikes coming.

Nice bikes! I really like the stretched two 8) .......I've stretched a 20in. myself, I can't ride it though! :lol:

i saw it in your intro? how come ya cant ride it?
the rapido i ride daily all around town. its very comfortable. always turns heads and buts ya right at skirt level. :)

welcometo the forrum......the age old question "whats a ratrod" you got me seems to change 'round here but if its rat to you its rat to me.
is it a rat? is it a chop? is it a stretch? is it a low rider...dont matter its a cool bike to ride :mrgreen:

icyuod2 said:
i saw it in your intro? how come ya cant ride it?
the rapido i ride daily all around town. its very comfortable. always turns heads and buts ya right at skirt level. :)
It was made for "kids bike build off", I sized it for a kid.........Although still a kid inside, at 6ft 260lbs., not a kid on the outside! :lol:

i've been meaning to update my intro. i just didn't know where to start.
my girl calls me the dude with a 1001 hobbies and no career. lol its true, but my hobbies do pay the bills.
i guess i'm an artist at heart. i paint, sculpt,carve, build rc boats totally from scratch. i restore old pellet guns,pinball machines, musical instruments, old motorcycles and bicycles of course. i teach snowboarding,and i skate/wake board whenever i get the chance. i'm dying to learn to surf. i do a fair amount of renovation work (home/bussiness) and alot of custom wood carving (kitchens/banisters,mantels etc.) i also do alot of custom damascus knives and swords.

i figured a few pic's of the mens den would better describe me than i ever could do with words. most of the items in the room have been created/restored/customized by my hand. should give you a pretty good idea who i am.

i'm 35, a huge kid at heart and i think its safe to say i was born in the wrong era. i just seem to have a fasination with vintage stuff.
IMG_1579.jpg

IMG_1585.jpg

IMG_1586.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

IMG_6947-1.jpg

IMG_5395.jpg

well thats me in a nut shell.

i'd say ya couldn't be more on the money. seems when i think i got a good handle on something, i'm ready to learn something new.

drives the girl friend nuts! :)

got a few of em on the go. oh yeah i play bass guitar also. :)

thskull.jpg

thskull2.jpg

this ones still real rough. started life as an old skid/pallet at a foundry. real nice piece of flamed maple.
IMG_4264.jpg

IMG_4260.jpg

How is the Jag? I've been looking into upgrading, and I loved the one I played in the store. What I'm curious about is, how does it sound live, and how does it hold up on tour? I'm not on the road much, but at least a few weeks a year. Right now I play a standard black Fender P-Bass, just like everyone else in the universe, and I like it, but I love the way the Jag feels.

johnny nightwolf said:
How is the Jag? I've been looking into upgrading, and I loved the one I played in the store. What I'm curious about is, how does it sound live, and how does it hold up on tour? I'm not on the road much, but at least a few weeks a year. Right now I play a standard black Fender P-Bass, just like everyone else in the universe, and I like it, but I love the way the Jag feels.

Well, I'm a Fender J-Bass guy, so coming to the Jag was not TOO different as far as the feel goes. The Jag has a Jazz neck and pickups, so it feels just like a nice J-Bass in my hand. The number one thing about this bass is its versatility! The thing can play a similar warm tone to a P-Bass, but can get a very nice raw sound with the active electronics too.

I just got it about a month ago, and I haven't gigged with it yet, so I couldn't say how it holds up on the road, but there are a few pros who use it, so I'd imagine it couldn't be bad. This is my favorite, and my main bass now.

Funny, I was just going to ask the same question - I'm assuming we're both talking about the same blue scrambler?!
What is it?

Back