Those Electra leather grips...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RE: Those electra leather grips...

Anyone ever put a pair on?

Normal plastic/rubber grips I soak in hot water until soft/expanded and just jam them on.

I'm not sure I want to soak these ones as they are leather...nor do I want to use any 'lub' like KY jelly as they will slip/turn after the install.

I would hate to get them 9/10s of the way jammed on and not quite be able to 'finish the job'.

note: they have a real nice soft sticky rubber under the leather.

P.S. this has nothing to do with leather/rubber fetishes

Just reinstalled some on my Townie. I used a little Windex not bad. Others have had sucess with hairspray.

OK

Alrighty...thanks for all the fast replys.

Rubbing alcohol scoots them on and no residue after, to remove later lift up rubber and pour in alcohol penetrates grips will slide right back off.

grips

Im with socal_jack alcohol slips on easy..to take off I use a spoke slid under grip and pour alittle alcohol and slips right off :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Re: grips

outsider13 said:
Im with socal_jack alcohol slips on easy..to take off I use a spoke slid under grip and pour alittle alcohol and slips right off :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ya that does sound best...when you pay $22 for a set of grips it's just as important to be able to take them off if you want to change bars.

Hummm...I wonder if Smirnoff has enough alcohol?

Another method that doesn't involve liquids to install or remove is if you have a compressed air source with a nozzle attachment you just snug the girp up to the end of the bar and blast away the air, it will expand the grip enough to slide on(not sure on teh hard plastic variety how well this works, but for the rubber materials it works really well). To remove just lift an edge and blast air in, comes right off again.

tO get my gripps off, Ill jam a screw driver under the edge and squirt some liquid wrench under there and slip them off.. I use spit to slide them on.

ricksterr1221 said:
tO get my gripps off, Ill jam a screw driver under the edge and squirt some liquid wrench under there and slip them off.. I use spit to slide them on.
I used to use that method. Now I just use water, it works just as well as doesn't leave a greasy film inside the grip where you don't want it.

yeah true.. Im 2 lazy 2 walk up the steps into the house to get water, Our outside spickets are broke so yeah..

Back