Three quick questions regarding fork/headset sizes.....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay-I'm starting to work on the 1962 Schwinn American Deluxe, and the friggin headset is rusted tight. I am planning on putting a triple tree on the front with a 26 inch wheel, and a threadless headset. Does anyone have the sizes I need to order handy? I need to know the headset size, the steerer tube size and length to make it a smooth transition. More than likely, I'm going to order the parts and let the local bike shop deal with the install headaches.....

Thanks!

Mark

the headset is simple. every schwinn i have come across so far that requiered a 1 inch was a BMX 1" threadless. DO NOT let them tell you it is a standard 1" because it is not. i went through this today at work because wonderboy916 brought in his new project and it too requiered this headset. i was out so i sent him on a mission to find one. everywhere he went they told him a standard 1" would FIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr a standard 1" meassures out to 30.6 and a BMX 1" is 32.6. well what a suprise when you actually take the time to meassure the headtube of his frame and waddddaaaauuuuknooooowwwww it is 32.0! sometimes i hate bicycle mechanics and their arrogance. WHEW now that i got that out of the way onto the fork. basicly they come really long and you will have to cut it down unless you really want a chopper style front end. so get the headset installed the fork crown race installed on the fork and mock up the frame install the fork with the top and stem on then toss in the front wheel. dont worry if it is a bit loose just set the front end hight where you want. mark the legs and steer and either have you or a shop cut them and install the star nut. sorry all for the vent i needed that.

Back