Tips n Trix

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you considered using a tube instead of a ring spanner?
A piece of pipe long enough with a slightly larger width would work.

I thought of another and maybe easier way after giving it some thought.
1. Remove the lower bearing, but keep the cup in the frame.
2. Slide the race down to the lip in the fork.
3. Turn the bike over, and support the frame.
4. Slide the fork in, line it up, and hammer the bottom of the fork crown until the race seats in all the way.

Yes, that would solve any issues with the fork legs, I was considering balancing the forks on some frame - but with the forks upside down in a tube then all you would need is a piece of wood or something to tap the forks with the race structure resting on the tube. I like it!

Yeah, I always support the fork at the crown, rather than on the blades, to ensure there's no risk of damage. Usually, it's just straddling a length of 2x4, but inverted works too.

Here's a pro tip for masking two-tone paint jobs:
Aluminum foil works great for covering frames. The foil conforms to the irregular shapes without the hassle of paper and tape.
259313-6807.1.jpg
259311-6809.1.jpg
259312-IMG-6808.jpeg

I saw some kids do this yesterday on TV, with a spray can duck taped to a sawzall. I was Waiting for the sawzall to puncture that can & watch it take off like a rocket painting spots over the whole shop.
Throw many plugged up rattle can ones in da raging inferno fire pit, go away, hear when day go boom.

what exactly are the "marbles"? Are they steel ball bearings? I've never looked.

and now I gotta ask, what do you save them for?

what exactly are the "marbles"? Are they steel ball bearings? I've never looked.

and now I gotta ask, what do you save them for?
Sometimes they are steel, but most often blue or clear glass marbles.

I havent shot marbles since the 4th grade.

I give them to my wife for her garden decorating.

Sometimes they are steel, but most often blue or clear glass marbles.

I havent shot marbles since the 4th grade.

I give them to my wife for her garden decorating.

neat! I had no idea.

how does one know it's safe to puncture the can? I'd be worried there's pressure even if it seemed like it was done.

I remember shooting marbles at the bus stop and playground in the early 70s. I remember going to school with a full bag and coming home with nothing too :-(

I’m not kidding, the best way to get rid of rattle cans is to blow them up in a fire. Very entertaining. Pieces like the top, bottom or fragmented sides do occasionally fly out of my pit. Twenty foot max debris field so far. I like to burn 3-5 at a time. Day vary in clock when day koh boom.

There was a carpenter on one of my jobs years ago who like to remove the spray paint can tops with the claw of his hammer with one quick whack. He had a cap on his truck and it was loaded with all his tools. One day he decide to open a can of florescent orange marking paint on his tailgate of his truck. He was talking and not paying enough attention. He whacked it and the claw poked a hole in the can and it shot like a rocket into the open truck cap. It spun around and rattled off everything in his truck. When we finally stopped laughing at him and looked all his tools and the inside of the truck cap were covered in paint. Lesson learned

Then there was the old couch at Camp Toivo, da deer camp. Three generations slept on it. We got a different one, much nicer, at the university auction. After installing it and testing it we decided to burn the old one. Pow, pow pow, ————. All dat ammo dat fell from trousers over tree generations went off. Talk about get outta dere. Whew, we escaped. Dat called for beers.

Throw many plugged up rattle can ones in da raging inferno fire pit, go away, hear when day go boom.

I’m not kidding, the best way to get rid of rattle cans is to blow them up in a fire. Very entertaining. Pieces like the top, bottom or fragmented sides do occasionally fly out of my pit. Twenty foot max debris field so far. I like to burn 3-5 at a time. Day vary in clock when day koh boom.
My brothers and I used to blow up old spray cans. Once the false bottom of one can flew into the camper, making a big half moon slice in the aluminum siding. Good thing we didn't get hit. Dad never could figure out what did that, he thought something must have hit it on the highway.
My older brother always thought of a new way to blow something up. He lit a fire in an old refrigerator laying on the ground, then threw in a spray can and closed the door. We ran and took cover. Boom! We went back to look and the door was gone. We looked around and couldn't find it. Then Bam! It landed right next to us. It must have been 50 feet up in the air!

Then there was the old couch at Camp Toivo, da deer camp. Three generations slept on it. We got a different one, much nicer, at the university auction. After installing it and testing it we decided to burn the old one. Pow, pow pow, ————. All dat ammo dat fell from trousers over tree generations went off. Talk about get outta dere. Whew, we escaped. Dat called for beers.
Camp Toivo was built on leased timber land so you don’t want to build anything too good as your lease may expire. The Urho room is built on a trailer frame so it can take it to another hunting place if the lease goes away. The rest is built on the ground with old stumps still there. Dirt sorta smoothed it out, then old sheet metal was thrown on top of that, then two layers of carpet from an old motel that was remodeling. It goes downhill to the bunk beds, helpful after an evening of beer. Levels weren’t allowed during construction, half empty beer bottles were used instead. No 2x4, just small logs for framing. Old pallet wood for siding then tar paper. The inside walls have a combo of thin paneling from an abandoned trailer and short pieces of hardwood flooring rejected from the mill. The windows are old wood storm windows that people threw away. Gas lights and 12 volt wiring. An old truck steel dash mounted above the bar that still has the 8 track provides the music. Coat hangers and old dish towels are the curtains. Indoor outhouse attached by a porch. The sitter is an old cane chair with the cane removed. It’s got a urial but there is no plumbing so the pea goes on your feet, a joke for newbies. A large stump was rolled from a swamp to make stairs to climb up to the Urho room. Front door in winter is a lean to A frame, made from logs with a canvas tarp that is moved aside to get in. The original chimney was an old culvert. This allowed bigger critters to get in so fur traps were set upon leaving. The culvert got hot and the front of the camp caught on fire. No well at camp Toivo so the front of the camp was cut off with a chainsaw and pushed into the swamp, where it still sits today. The rebuild uses a real chimney.

Replaced the missing valve caps with yellow hand waving pencil top erasers, I like that they fit on the valve stem tight enough that you can spin them on or push them on and they are cheap and literally millions of options. Lol.
1709054162732.jpeg

I'll leave that brilliant idea here, so I can steal it sometime! :bandit:

Latest posts

Back