TJ's Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
My wife's friend TJ loved my Long Bike.

IMG_0189.jpg

He wanted to buy it from me, but he thought he wouldn't be able to until January. This was a month ago. Well, I ended up selling it to DandDBicycles, and I just figured that I'd make him another one, should he still want it.

After his car got stolen, he now wants one, so I've started a new build.

I started with a generic cantilever frame that I got from CL for $20. It had a stem, cranks and sprocket, fork, and a seat post. It had been painted many times, and was currently a deep and ugly green. I forgot to take a picture until after I had started hacking it up, so I put the pieces back together on my work bench for this shot:

IMG_0482.jpg

I then hacked it, to drop it down, and stretch it. I'm not making it as low as the Long Bike, because that bike was too low for practical riding. I also started to see it come together a little different, because I decided to flip over the head tube, which radically altered where I was going to go with it. Here are a couple more shots of it starting to take shape on my bench:

IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0484.jpg

Work will continue tomorrow.

Finished the rough welding on the frame today, other than the BB. Slapped a couple of wheels on it, just to see how it stands.

IMG_0488.jpg

TJ told me today that he'd like the color to be the Schwinn color that looks like a burnt orange. I'll look to see what the closest I can come to that in spray paint is. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

To go with that, he asked me about orange touches to the bike. Vintage Bicycle Supply sold me a pair of all orange tires today. Ha! That should satisfy his orange lust.

RustOleum makes a flat high temp orange part #248905..ive used that and the matching high temp clear part #260771..its so close to the schwinn orange that it will make you sick :mrgreen:

rusty sproket said:
RustOleum makes a flat high temp orange part #248905..ive used that and the matching high temp clear part #260771..its so close to the schwinn orange that it will make you sick :mrgreen:

Thanks, I'll check it out. Last night I also saw DupliColor's Burnt Copper. That looked pretty good, in the picture, anyway.

Can u even turn that bike without the front wheel flopping over. What weld process are u using, I ask because I noticed the bluing around the welds. Also what are the top and bottom tube lengths. I am thinking about making one in summer if u don't mind.

..just went and picked up the can today and realized i told you about the wrong one :oops: ..its the rustoleum metallic engine enamel in metallic copper #257388 :oops: ..i sware i wasnt drinking :lol: ..i really like the way the bike is turning out and cant wait to see finished pics

that makes sense now, I thought u were tig welding them. But oxy-fuel thats old skol, awesome. Thanks for the measurements.

I put on a seat and set of bars, just to roll it down the street, to see how it felt. I couldn't keep the front tire straight. As someone here speculated, the trail was just too off. So, I cut the top bar near the head tube, heated and bent the bottom bar to tilt the head tube up more, and then welded a small curved piece on the top to join it all back together. I'm not sure I like the lines as much as it was before, but it's now ridable, and that's more important.

I also welded on the BB, after covering it in sheet metal, to hide the holes from where the old tubing connected to it.

IMG_0495.jpg

Made some custom handlebars, and gave the frame a coat of primer. After a couple of successful test rides (which saw me adjust the width of the bars), I'm now waiting on the paint I ordered to arrive. I'll then bolt on all of the "permanent" parts, such as the white and orange seat, orange tires, etc.

IMG_0506.jpg

I think the lines of the bars go with the frame well. I did have to move the BB, as the crank was WAY too close to the front tire where it was. I cut and moved it back an inch and a half.

Wow, very niicee! Changing the angle on that rake didn't harm the flow one bit. Ive really gotta steal this method sometime 8)
That pain needs to hurry! Cant wait to see what she looks like dolled up! :D
-Hans

I'm basically done! I painted the frame, handlebars, and forks today, and assembled the bike with its finished parts. TJ is from Georgia, so he wanted all the orange to represent his college team, I think. The paint I ended up using was DupliColor's "Burnt Copper."

I had a couple of issues with the DupliColor. It sprayed on inconsistently, and the one can I ordered didn't cover as much as I would've liked. I got it all satisfactorily, but barely. I'd have liked to apply another couple of coats, but it looks fine, and shined up with a few clear coats.

I also tried to fill in some spots using Lab Metal, and I'm not sure I'll try that again. I just prefer to fill blemishes with with welding or brazing, followed by grinding. This Bondo/Lab Metal stuff is for other people, I think.

Anyhoo, here it is. The only thing left for me to do is make a kickstand for it, and I'll give TJ his bike. My wife sent him a teaser picture while I was painting, and he's excited as can be. Also pictured, my new Park bike stand that I'm in love with:

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

Delivered the bike to TJ today. It's probably the most comfortable ride I've built yet. The majority of the comments I've gotten have been about the handlebars, which I made from scratch.

My next project, when I get to it (I'm working tons of overtime right now, and for the next two months), will be my first scratch built. In the meantime, here are the farewell shots of TJ's bike:

IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg

This turned out really NICE!!!Great job! 8) :mrgreen:

cool bike, Did you spray that paint over black primer?

That looks great! It has to be the first stretch I have seen that I feel the lines of the bike look perfect.
Could be store bought. Opps did I just say that :lol:

Dang!! That thing turned out sweet! Tj should come out and bring her to a second sat ride or 2, I want to see this beaut in person!! Nice job on the bars, I am flabbergasted at how nice the edges are when people make those things, I need some clubmans like that myself :p

Back