To fat to ride :-/

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
I really want a stretch cruiser I have found a bunch on CList and I would love to start building and cruising soon. Well I am 6foot tall and about 300 pounds plus or minus.. I just don't want to break a bike and waste $$ so what shall I do?
Inb4 stop being fat..

Almasinfe said:
Hey guys,
I really want a stretch cruiser I have found a bunch on CList and I would love to start building and cruising soon. Well I am 6foot tall and about 300 pounds plus or minus.. I just don't want to break a bike and waste $$ so what shall I do?
Inb4 stop being fat..

I'd say get one, if it breaks, fix it. Riding a bike will certainly help the situation and bikes are pretty tough, if not tough enough, either weld, or get someone to weld a little more support on, then ride the pounds away.

I ride with a buddy who is over 6' & around 300 , he rides an old Schwinn middleweight :shock: He has broken 2 cranks though
092.jpg

I'm 5'11" and 300 lbs. I can't speak about the manufactured stretches, as I build my own bikes outta throw away bikes or completely from scratch. I have ridden a couple of manufactured stretches and there's not much versatility to them when it comes to rider positioning. I have short legs and a long body. I'm usually stretched out just to reach the pedals.
If you build your own, then you can build them to fit or have way more adjustment.
I have never bent any of my frames under my weight. As long as the metal is triangulated or braced, you shouldn't have a problem.
You gotta remember, these aren't mountain bikes or BMX bikes. You don't slam a cruiser into a tree and bounce off only to jump it over a riverbed. The stretches should be able to take a hard street ride with the ocassional curb hop but that's about it.

I'm 6'4" and push 300 occasionally (currently on a downward trend in the 270's 8) ). The only bike that fits me is an Electra Cruiser. I ride old bikes too but none ever fit me. I've broken seat posts and other things but never the frame or crank. yet :wink: .

Here's a few of the different bikes I've built over the years ....

Beulah ... not the prettiest but it rode extremely well. Gave it to a friend to finish off.
DSCF3312.jpg

Rat B. Nimble ..... my all time favorite bike! I rode this for most of last year and then gave it to ShaggyEvil.
b4b2285.jpg

Dark Journey .... My first Autorama Bike. It's pretty much all exercise equipment an it's HEAVY!
tt104.jpg

Not named yet .... My latest burrito bike. It usually has a 26" tire and different forks. I was working on the forks at the time the picture was taken and needed something to ride, so this is what happened at the last minute. Rides great with the 26" front, but SUCKS with the 20" on it.
2010Bertha058.jpg

All are capable of 300 lb. hauling! :p

dogdart said:
I ride with a buddy who is over 6' & around 300 , he rides an old Schwinn middleweight :shock: He has broken 2 cranks though
092.jpg

if that thing could talk it'll be more like this :lol:
bigguyn.jpg

I know how you feel dude. I'm 5'11' 330lbs. I kept bending my rear wheel, it wouldn't stay true under my weight. I went to worksman wheels with 11 gauge industrial spokes.......no problem since the up-grade. If you are looking for a stretch cruiser get in touch with "SIC NICK" Local Cycles in Long Beach, New York. He custom built a stretch cruiser for a midget, I'm sure he can build a stretch for the big boys like us.

Heck, I'm about 275 (give or take) 6' and my swing bike pivot takes me just fine with no bending problems (other than the swinging bends one hopes for on a machine like this!) I've never had a problem on any bike breakage wise, I have found some to be too small or a bit uncomfortable but never breaking.

I remember letting my cousin ride my dyno roadster and he is a 300lb guy. I was scared of him riding it, but nothing happened to the bike; It was completely stock. I wouldnt know if it would have caused any damage in the long run.

I'm 6'4" and 300 and the only frames I have ever broken was from dirt jumping (or crashing) , never had any issues just riding around..and I have all kinds of bikes... :roll:

We are not fat, we are fluffy! Get on a bike and ride! (Queen)

Only way to remedy the situation is diet and exercise. That is part of the reason I got back into riding, it don't feel like exercise, and yet it is. Winter has been kicking my butt because not only has it become my "exercise" it's also become my stress relief! I'm not tall, but I'm round and I think us fluffy fellas look good on a cruiser. Even if I was skinny I could never be one of them spandax/ roadbike dudes. I like women too much.

Buck Masterson said:
Even if I was skinny I could never be one of them spandax/ roadbike dudes. I like women too much.
exactly my thoughts im 5' 8" and 110 pounds and still wouldnt wear spandex then again my coveralls are pretty tight :mrgreen: oh the joy of being young and skinny

Back