tony hawk and two occs roll into a...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm minding my own business looking at bikes on the internet and I come across a crazy bike that uses two stingray 20x4.25 wheels (like on my wifes manta ray and stingray) front and back, motorcycle tires and get this, its a folding bike. Then he references another guy who made a fat tire dirt bike called sand rover. Now i've wanted a fat tire bike for awhile( not just 20x3 I got those) but a pugsley costs like $1500 and a moonlander somefin like $3000. (so much that I start to slur me words.) Thats motorcycle territory. (my honda ascot was $700 and runs great) So whats a boy to do? Get a paperroute? Oh The plain dealers on the virge of extinction. Become and exotic dancer? (my own "fat tire" around my middle kinda rules that out). Hey I got like three half dead occ's down the basement. One looks like it was parked in the lake for a year. One was well used but grown out of by the prev owners son. Cost of those two $15 and $20 respectively. The next bike I had in mind was a Tony Hawk roof top. The only problem was that I got it with another chopper bike (the pair cost me $50) and it was BRAND NEW. I steeled my resolve. Climbed to the top of the terminal tower (best substitute i could find for a mountain) and on a clear nite illuminated only by a full moon made my offering to the bicycle gods. Doggone u Kingfish.

1360617548338_zps660ab1bf.jpg

You have done well grasshopper!!!!

Cool to see someone build another one of these MO FATTA MO BETTA bikes!!!!
You have come a long way on this one already too.
I'm really digging it!!!!!!!
BRAVO!!

Any thoughts on a name for this beastie yet?

hey yoothgeye doggone u too. i simply love sandrover. It really inspired me. The occ drive line was shortened about 6 inches but I'm keeping the center stand and the occ gearing. As far as names i'm open. Maybe Phat-ray. Would apreciate some ideas as far as colr or graphics

What is your final style going for? I wanted BMX style, Kingfish wanted folding freak... :lol:

If you are keeping the fenders, I might suggest some apehangers and a sissy/banana seat, then do some sparkly paint.

What direction do you plan to take?
Keep it BMX or through a nanner and apes on it?
I wouldn't use Ray in the name. Thoses OCCs are awesome for parts, but to me they aren't really StingRays.
How about PhatRat?

yoothgeye said:
What is your final style going for? I wanted BMX style, Kingfish wanted folding freak... :lol:

Who you calling a freak? :p :p

aWP_000903.jpg

Froggy, the canvas is still pretty wide open on PhatRat.
About the only style that would be tough is a board track racer look.
Play around with it. I would lean towards a fat muscle bike look with nanner and apes, but throw some stuff on there and see if it sticks.
I guarantee you this. It's gonna be a fun bike no matter what!!!!!

Initially I was going for a bmx style like sandrover (hence the bmx bike in the mix) but the fenders and stance really seem to say nana.Sometimes I think i shoulda used a canti frame but I think I made the right choice since Dr.Tanks going that route. I just don't want to be one note as i own quite a few nana bikes now. I love the racks on fugsley and was thinking of sissybars used as racks with skate boards on top. I however keep thinking banana seat. I built a occ for my wife i call a super krate so i know that looks great and works. PhatRat sounds good as far as the name. Color wise i saw a buildoff here that used a metalflake blue can spray paint that looked good (Again it was a stingray). The front forks are Chrome (and rust) so I'm gonna try and keep em.Hope fully they'll clean up nice. I also just love cycle trucks so am thinking about some signage and again somekinda cool rack. Still super open to ideas so keep em coming.

Awesome Tim! Love your build so far, keep it comin! :wink:
I agree with the others, style is still completely open, but me, I will always vote for banana seat and apes! I can just imagine it with giant ape hangers and it would look great! :mrgreen:

Luke.

Hey thanks for the positive feed back.Yea is a slow go right now because my friend is welding the frame for me. I actually like the occ bikes and if u change the seating alittle u can actually ride them. Built one for my wife to match my old school stingray. Its long low and slow. It however gets alot of attention and with the nana seat, apehangers and long sissybar is comfy to ride. Kinda like a recumbent.

Back