Tough Call on my Last Ballooner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Well guys my life is changing and I have to take a hiatus from bikes. I'll keep a couple bikes for myself and I'll finish my "secret" rat build eventually. But I realize that I have to get rid of some things, otherwise, "I'll fix it up someday" will be the words that I utter to anyone who asks and some classic iron will just further decay. Is there ANY demand yet for an early post-war solid, running and 90% complete (rode it before I parked it), loaded CWC Hawthorne ladies frame bike? Working horn tank, truss rods, seat is in my shed, nice curved braces on the rack and fenders. The fenders are peaked as well. All that is missing is the headlight and the correct grips.

I see beauty in this bike and I don't want it to rot. But then again it seems like the only way I'll ever sell it is if I part it out. I'd hate to do that and really don't want to. I'd rather put a flower basket on it and move it to the garden than dismantle the poor thing and sell it's remains to be canned into a new Kia or some other dull modern thing. It doesn't deserve the fate many others like it, in much rougher condition, have suffered at my hands and others around the country.

It's not worth much as a whole or in parts (Costs me $50 to fill my gas tank, how quickly will the funds from this bike last really?). This bike has sat for 3 or 4 years and I never have found the time to even begin restoration on it. Something else always takes the time away. My question to you guys is this: would you try to find a person who genuinely wants to fix it up and get it back on the road? Or am I a crazy wishy-washy lunatic that needs to part the thing and move on? This bike has sat for 3 or 4 years and I never have found the time to even begin restoration on it. Something else always takes the time away.

3 or 4 years and not even touched. I'd get rid of it. But that's just me.

Chuck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love to have it! I can get it back on the road in 2 to 4 days. But that being in Florida I got alot of tricks up my sleeve for making any bike rideable.

I'm the same way. I just don't have the heart to part a nearly complete bicycle in good rideable condition. If some part of the bike has major issues, it doesn't bother me to part. My wife's Roadmaster nearly all original & in pretty nice shape for a survivor is worth more in parts than it is whole. If she wanted to get rid of it, the only way I would sell is complete. But, that's just me.

I'm the same way. I just don't have the heart to part a nearly complete bicycle in good rideable condition. If some part of the bike has major issues, it doesn't bother me to part. My wife's Roadmaster nearly all original & in pretty nice shape for a survivor is worth more in parts than it is whole. If she wanted to get rid of it, the only way I would sell is complete. But, that's just me.
Thats how I feel, I had so many people ask when I found the delmar if I was going to part it out since it was a girls bike. I said look at it for its age its almost complete.

I'm the same way, don't have the heart to part complete or mostly complete and functional bikes. Especially true if they're vintage or older. I look at it this way. If I decide to get rid of a bike with low value or desirability then I try to find someone that will use it and take care of it. Then give it to them or sell it to them cheap. It's not all about the money. Sometimes you have to loose a few bucks to preserve some history. You seem to have made your hobby a business as well, that is difficult to do. The lines get blurred and often it ceases to become a hobby because the making money mentality tends to take over. I speak from past experiences on that.

Last edited:
Well I still have a heart, LOL! I once owned a basket case women's Spaceliner. Tank was missing but the rest of it was there. I held on and sold it to an older gentleman in need of the womens frame style because of hip problems. I turned a profit and helped a senior citizen. If I had parted that out, he would be out of luck.

I will say, I am parting a 1972 ladies frame Firestone Warrior. It's clean and mostly complete. But new tires, tubes, kickstand, chain, and my standard re-packing service would cost 3x what the bike is worth and I need the parts to rebuild other classics I'm going to sell in the spring. Nothing goes to waste in my household ;)

I'm glad I'm in common company here and I'm not the only one who wants to keep the old girl together. I'll do just that. I was younger and dumber when I bought it and paid too much so I know I'm going to lose money anyway LOL!

Back