UNLIMITED Triple Threat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the base ready to weld up. Everything is wedged together.

07 Jun 24 base.jpg

I lugged it up the steps and went for a ride. Low gear won't climb the mountain but all the hills are no problem. With the extra weight of the add on it should be fine. It also rides more solidly with the front fork redone. The pedals might scrape when turning but there won't be any lean with the sidecar attached. The shifter needs to be relocated further back to stay out of the way when pedaling. It will definitely need another brake so I'll try the front disc mount again.
08 Jun 24 ride.jpg

I'll take this damaged frame and cut off the dropouts and parts of the stays for the third wheel. I'll need the dropouts to mount upward from the base frame so the rider's base sits about 1 foot off the ground. The axle is 15" high on a 26 x 4 wheel.

08 Jun 24 donor.jpg

I did some cutting and fitting pieces together. Also did some wire brushing where it will get welded. It's all set.
I may attach it to the bike carrier and take it to a welding shop if I can't find my neighborhood welder

10 Jun 24 d.jpg
10 Jun 24 c.jpg
10 Jun 24 b.jpg
10 Jun 24 a.jpg

I was adjusting some of the pieces when the old vise finally gave out. Big new vise in the future!
11 Jun 24 c.jpg

I laid out the sidecar and the height is about 10 inches.
11 Jun 24 a.jpg

It was still early so I went for a ride and adjusted the gears, BB, and brakes. It's solid.
11 Jun 24 b.jpg

There is a shop here that make bodies for the various trikes. All kinds of custom configurations and styles. I'd need to be motorized to have one of those for this thing. I'd want it to look like the old classic VW bus with a big V in the front. Here's a video someone made showing some of the trikes they have over here. I was down in that city a couple years ago and rode in one of those, cramped but fun.

I've moved the build upstairs to the garage. For a couple reasons, the thing will be too large to get up the stairs. Welding will be done in the street. My shop has a slanted floor to allow water runoff, but the garage is perfectly flat. The wifey oversaw the construction so I have more confidence in the garage than the rest that was pre-built here. That's also the roof of my shop so it's as good as a bunker down there.
The tiles can be used to line up everything, just like in my shop. The third wheel needs to lean outward to compensate for the road berm and also needs to point inward slightly to track correctly. The one other thing it needs is to be ahead of the drive wheel by about 100mm. That's how I have it laid out here. We're still looking for a welder to make a house call.

12 Jun 24 d.jpg
12 Jun 24 a.jpg

I think this thing is going to weigh more than 60 lbs. I measured again and it's 49" wide.

I was trying to work out how to get brakes on all three wheels and found no good solution. I found more of the drum brakes like I have on my traditional build and ordered one. I'll have to relace the front and third wheel to accommodate the drum brakes. I dug out two rear hubs that are 110mm wide, compared to 135mm for the fat hubs. Those should work with a few washers or just like they are, the fork and sidecar dropouts aren't exact widths to begin with. That would take care of brakes. Front and rear levers on the handlebars and the third wheel brake lever on the left side of the sidecar handlebar where the driver can easily grab it.

So I'll relace the wheels and have two good fatbike front hubs as leftovers. Maybe I can make a matching trailer and have a war rig like in the Mad Max movies. I've got enough steel.:D
12 May 2024 brake a.jpg
12 Jun hubs.jpg

1718171436511.jpeg

One thing I've done in the situation without disc's is make a bracket for disc's. This one works on a 30s Roadmaster doublebar frame. One hole for the axle and another to go through another part of the dropout and bolt on.
20240612_151742.jpg

20240612_151748.jpg

Then perhaps disc's will work on both sides on the back, without going to the strap type drums.

Looking cool man.
One concern I have are those upward facing dropouts on the sidecar wheel. You may want to consider fabricating some lawyer washers like 70s 80s bikes had on their front wheels. I could see a scenario with the weight of a passenger pushing down and a bump in the road pushing up and next thing you know your sidecar wheel jumps right out of the dropouts.

One thing I've done in the situation without disc's is make a bracket for disc's. This one works on a 30s Roadmaster doublebar frame. One hole for the axle and another to go through another part of the dropout and bolt on.
View attachment 269274
View attachment 269275
Then perhaps disc's will work on both sides on the back, without going to the strap type drums.
The previous fork setup allowed me to drill a hole right in the strut, that made it easy. The brakes I'll use aren't the strap type, they have shoes. I didn't know about them until I found one for sale recently, now I have more on the way. I'm using one on my traditional build bike.
brake.jpg

Looking cool man.
One concern I have are those upward facing dropouts on the sidecar wheel. You may want to consider fabricating some lawyer washers like 70s 80s bikes had on their front wheels. I could see a scenario with the weight of a passenger pushing down and a bump in the road pushing up and next thing you know your sidecar wheel jumps right out of the dropouts.
You can't tell from the pic, but I'm already using the ones that came with the front rim, the tabs fits right in the triangular openings in the dropout.

The wifey checked with the neighborhood "contractors" and arranged for a welder to stop by this afternoon.
My matte gold paint arrived. I painted the 2 rims that got relaced and I like the color.
It only took an hour to relace both of them. Even though the hubs were different size, the difference in width made up the difference and they used the same 257mm spokes.
13 Jun rimsa.jpg

13 Jun rimsb.jpg

They go to get trued sometime this weekend. The drive wheel will get painted later.

We have a new neighborhood welder. This guy didn't ask to borrow anything and had his own welding rods! His own angle grinder too. I gave him a grinding disc because he was using a cutting disc to clean up the welds. He welded it up right on the roadside.

My new brake showed up. I ordered the 100mm size, 90mm was the last one from the other shop. This one is heavier, has a doublewalled drum and even has a lock. I immediately ordered one more.
14 Jun brake.jpg

That drum brake sounds heavy duty for sure. Probably good with the weight of the ride and two riders, I know there is an equation out there for rolling mass somewhere...

rolling mass.png

It sounds like your wife has really 'got on board' with this year's build. (side car rider pun intended) :wink1:

Cool video of the roadside weldup.
That is neat how the drum brake has a keyed lock to it for antitheft.

We have a new neighborhood welder. This guy didn't ask to borrow anything and had his own welding rods! His own angle grinder too. I gave him a grinding disc because he was using a cutting disc to clean up the welds. He welded it up right on the roadside.

View attachment 269481

My new brake showed up. I ordered the 100mm size, 90mm was the last one from the other shop. This one is heavier, has a doublewalled drum and even has a lock. I immediately ordered one more.
View attachment 269482
He won't be welding long not using some sort of eye shield not good looking at with naked eyes.

Back