Twice Round the Bend

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just saw this posted. Thought you would like it.

1657319169804.png

Here is a great two page ad with one of those on a Twin

1657331231593.jpeg
1657331202299.jpeg

I was there guys.

Back in 1969 we danced with an Iron Butterfly, but by 1971 it had been totally crushed by a Led Zeppelin.

(But those IB guys never could sing & their late albums were terrible.)

This heaviness was a gross reaction to the bubble gum music of 1967. We went from songs that were easy to play and sing, to complicated and more tedious music.

I never got to play rock ‘n’ roll in public. I was a standup bass player with a bull fiddle and I played pizzicato for a 16 member jazz ensemble with piano.

It’s a Long Way to the Top when you start playing in Carp Minnesota (population 53.)

Suddenly I want to hear Australian bagpipers for some reason…

This is the stuff that we played, but they wouldn’t let us have a drummer.

My girlfriend was the pianist, and with bebop it’s kind of easy to find the beat. This is fortunate because on our premiere I was so nervous that I played the entire piece through exactly double time.

I didn’t realize it until I was done, and the chorus was only halfway through, so I did it again. Double time. Somehow I never missed a beat. I was very well practiced at that piece. Also it was fairly slow music.

Easy to remember to because the words were simply “Doo Doo Doo Doobie Doobie Doo, Doobie Doo Doo Doobie Doobie Doo.”

I smashed a finger working on a truck 50 years ago and that ended my string playing days, but I still keep three guitars around just to look at. Now that I’m retired I might take up the bass fiddle again.

This is the stuff that we played, but they wouldn’t let us have a drummer.

My girlfriend was the pianist, and with bebop it’s kind of easy to find the beat. This is fortunate because on our premiere I was so nervous that I played the entire piece through exactly double time.

I didn’t realize it until I was done, and the chorus was only halfway through, so I did it again. Double time. Somehow I never missed a beat. I was very well practiced at that piece. Also it was fairly slow music.

Easy to remember to because the words were simply “Doo Doo Doo Doobie Doobie Doo, Doobie Doo Doo Doobie Doobie Doo.”

I smashed a finger working on a truck 50 years ago and that ended my string playing days, but I still keep three guitars around just to look at. Now that I’m retired I might take up the bass fiddle again.

I haven't been on stage in probably 35 years, but I still have at least 50 guitars. I listen to everything from classical to bluegrass to German heavy industrial metal (depending on my mood).

I couldn’t a find place for 50 guitars in my house!

I kinda got that stuff out of my system back in the 70s. I was traveling with a country rock band as their equipment manager and general electrician.

They were very talented and they got a trip overseas to entertain the troops with the DOD in Japan. I didn’t go with them because I got tired of all the hassles with club owners and not getting paid, and scheduling and people not showing up, and two bass players in a row I had to fill-in for. One OD’d and the other one got looped & plowed into a semi truck.

They were playing top 40 country so it was easy to learn all the stuff. But what a pain in the butt with all the traveling and setting up and breaking down.

Finally one night we don’t have a bass player & I am on stage setting up a dead man’s equipment to play his gig, Some scrawny guy and a big trained gorilla showed up and repossessed his equipment right there 10 minutes before the show. I got a coding job & left the music business forever.

I mocked-up that crazy idea I had and it was terrible. Completely un-ridable. I guess that's why we do mock-ups. I'm already working on another idea for Class II.
I didn't have all of the parts anyway, but I still think I can make it work. I probably should enter Class II before I get too far.

I have been reconsidering the bracket I made that cracked. It seems to still be really solid despite the crack. I can actually pick the bike up by the headlight. I think I am going to keep the original style Elgin wheels with the Stewart-Warner hub. It just seems to be the right wheels and fit the theme for this altered/stock build. So, the only things remaining are making a seat bracket out of wood and cutting a chain for it. I want to make sure and finish my build this year, and I have a lot of others shows and other obligations before Autumn sets in. The highest task on the priority list right now is to get my Charger ready for the Mopar Nationals in early August. Any other Mopar guys on here?
Sunroof Charger (3).jpg

I have been reconsidering the bracket I made that cracked. It seems to still be really solid despite the crack. I can actually pick the bike up by the headlight. I think I am going to keep the original style Elgin wheels with the Stewart-Warner hub. It just seems to be the right wheels and fit the theme for this altered/stock build. So, the only things remaining are making a seat bracket out of wood and cutting a chain for it. I want to make sure and finish my build this year, and I have a lot of others shows and other obligations before Autumn sets in. The highest task on the priority list right now is to get my Charger ready for the Mopar Nationals in early August. Any other Mopar guys on here?View attachment 200456
Sounds like you've got a plan! Looking forward to seeing you and your Elgin cross the finish line!

I don't own a Mopar myself, but I sure do like them! What year is your Charger? I take it it's a '72 or later? Can't say I've seen one with a vinyl top and a sunroof before! Pretty cool!

Any other Mopar guys on here?View attachment 200456
Long time owner, since the 70’s.

I had a spartan ‘47 Plymouth pickup, a fully loaded Volare Premier, an ‘84 custom Dodge van with factory 4-speed stick, and this ‘47 Plym Special Deluxe.

It is the only one I still own.

This car had some trophies. From Tulare. It didn’t exactly win the Autorama. This was about 40 years ago.
63D25F5F-4916-4774-B882-B81BDE77BC92.jpeg

I drove this car every day for a long time and then I parked it when the engine started knocking. It sat like this for about 30 years.
EA622CB6-F539-4AC0-AA4E-0EA295F2B8F1.jpeg

I started stripping it down several years ago and now it is in pretty much bare metal and 10,000 pieces.
8C2F57EC-5F5F-42E2-8429-8DD84A17FED5.jpeg

Sounds like you've got a plan! Looking forward to seeing you and your Elgin cross the finish line!

I don't own a Mopar myself, but I sure do like them! What year is your Charger? I take it it's a '72 or later? Can't say I've seen one with a vinyl top and a sunroof before! Pretty cool!
My charger is a '73 Rallye, 400 Magnum, 4-speed Pistol Grip, sunroof car. The only one known to exist with the options I listed, and those are the original tires.

Long time owner, since the 70’s.

I had a spartan ‘47 Plymouth pickup, a fully loaded Volare Premier, an ‘84 custom Dodge van with factory 4-speed stick, and this ‘47 Plym Special Deluxe.

It is the only one I still own.

This car had some trophies. From Tulare. It didn’t exactly win the Autorama. This was about 40 years ago.
View attachment 200459

I drove this car every day for a long time and then I parked it when the engine started knocking. It sat like this for about 30 years.
View attachment 200460
I started stripping it down several years ago and now it is in pretty much bare metal and 10,000 pieces.
View attachment 200461
I used to have a '48 Plymouth coupe gasser with a tunnel ram 440, straight axle, ladder bars, cheater slicks, and all of the typical gasser stuff. Very scary car to drive. I wish I had a picture of it. It looked a lot like this one:

1657821638674.png

Last edited:
That sounds pretty stout. I never had the money and time for that kind of stuff, plus we never were anywhere close to a dragstrip.

I would imagine that because those cars had a full boxed frame from the rear axle to the front horns, They were considered mighty heavy unless you lighten the frame.

I ran a bored 218 flathead six with high compression head & a Holly visi-flow. Cherry bomb muffler and six volt electrics.

I junked the engine after it started to knock because it was stolen at some point and the numbers have been defaced with a chisel.

The block had been painted and it appeared to be completely unserialized when I got it. I took it to be a factory replacement block. When I washed the engine down with solvent I discovered the ruse, but I drove that car for 60,000 miles anyway.

I bought a ‘53 dodge 230 flathead to put in it. and I have a 49 overdrive three speed that I rebuilt long ago and it works great. Of course when I got this car in the 1980s it was already built up out of pieces of other cars long ago and so there is no way to restore such a car to its original condition.

It may always be a rat rod hence forth, and never again have shiny metal flake paint.

I've had many over the years... though I'm not strictly a Mopar guy... I'm a Ford and Mopar guy mostly, big fan of the Independents as well. There used to be a time when Ford and Mopar guys used to be allied against the evil empire of Chevrolet...then the great schism of the late '80s happened. :rolleyes:

I'm faithful to the old ways. :grin:

Still have a '67 Belvedere II, a '66 Sports Fury, and a '73 Duster with a Demon front end...and a couple Dakotas ('00 & '02)...and a couple pentastar era Jeeps ('93 & '13), though the '93 is my daughter's, I'll count it because it is at my place.

Latest posts

Back