SWB0 U-Haul State Core-Line

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my LED bulb today so I did a bit of mockup work with the light before pursuing things further. Looks like the concept should work. Used a 12v battery pack. Used to get these from RadioShack, now Amazon. I temporarily hooked up a couple of wires and the bulb fit the old light socket with now issues.
IMG_5367.jpeg
IMG_5368.jpeg
IMG_5369.jpeg
IMG_5371.jpeg
IMG_5373.jpeg

Battery pack and bike mounting to be decided, maybe cookie press or bag.

Last edited:
IMG_5380.jpeg
IMG_5385.jpeg
Two bags from my spare parts, possible compartment for battery pack. Waffling between the two, brown one more visually appropriate but longer wire run. Fabric one interfered with water bottle, or water bottle cage could hold bottle with battery pack…it’s all fluid at this point.

Last edited:
IMG_5386.jpeg
IMG_5387.jpeg
IMG_5389.jpeg

Weather was finally above freezing today after about a week of below zero lows highs in teens and twenties, so I was able to tinker in garage a bit.
Rough fit the vintage light, need to put the lens back on. The flexibility of the bracket mounting positions is limited but found a combination that might work out.
Undecided on leaving the light as is or doing a mild restoration on it.

Possible bar wrap idea…

IMG_5396.jpeg

Suppose to be honey brown, it’s close. Microfiber in lieu of leather = less cost.

IMG_5400.jpeg

IMG_5402.jpeg
IMG_5404.jpeg
Found another LED bulb in my spare parts. I cleaned up the lens and reflector. The last one of these old light conversions resulted in breaking the curved lens. This one is surviving so far.
IMG_5406.jpeg
IMG_5407.jpeg

The wire cable will be the power supply from battery pack to light. Think I’ll use the leather frame bag.
IMG_5401.jpeg

IMG_5408.jpeg
IMG_5409.jpeg
IMG_5410.jpeg
IMG_5411.jpeg
IMG_5412.jpeg
I did a rough install of the lamp and battery pack.
The switch is currently on the battery pack, thinking I’ll add a micro switch near the lamp housing.
The last picture depicts the rat rod heritage of this build. The interesting part of this old light is that hardware bolts and nuts are metric…so non USA or did we use metric hardware back in the day?
Lot of views for this thread, not many comments.

Last edited:
IMG_5415.jpeg
IMG_5417.jpeg

Test color match on handlebar wrap.
I’ve had this bell for years, never really had a place to put it…maybe it’s found a new home.
IMG_5421.jpeg

IMG_5429.jpeg
IMG_5428.jpeg
IMG_5430.jpeg
Still avoiding the cold, drizzle, rain and fog. Just trying to piece this “build” together. I drilled a 7/32” hole in leather bag with it sandwiched between two pieces of wood for a clean hole. The switch just had enough neck to clear the leather thickness. Next step is to add it into the wiring circuit.

Lighting switch connected to circuit, bell relocated, honey brown bar wrap experimented with, brake lever location tweaked, headlamp location tweaked, ordered a pair of VeloOrange grips. Thinking I want to use grips in lieu of wrap. Suppose to warm up next week, in a faux Spring thaw at present…in the muck suck mode.

Looking good! I'm impressed with how well the honey colored saddle and bar tape go with the green. I like the mustache bar too, I'm going to get one to try out on a bike. The vintage light conversion is really cool. It didn't seem like it would go well with this bike but it really works. :thumbsup:

IMG_5435.jpeg
A while back I picked up this 2014 book in a used bookstore, lots of cool bikes depicted with some history. A real bike geek kind of publication.

And then I ran across this David Bradley adaptation in a Facebook group (Post Your Custom Bicycle Pics!), it reminded me of my TrikeTor.
IMG_5433.jpeg

Nice Rat Rod!!!

Last edited:
View attachment 257552A while back I picked up this 2014 book in a used bookstore, lots of cool bikes depicted with some history. A real bike geek kind of publication.

And then I ran across this David Bradley adaptation in a Facebook group, it reminded me of my TrikeTor.
View attachment 257553
That thing is FUNKY! I really dig the horizontal bars and the modified fender. Gives it a sort of art deco feel.

Looking good! I'm impressed with how well the honey colored saddle and bar tape go with the green. I like the mustache bar too, I'm going to get one to try out on a bike. The vintage light conversion is really cool. It didn't seem like it would go well with this bike but it really works. :thumbsup:
Thanks I appreciate the props. I’ve done a few short street rides on this as it’s gone through the simple transformations. It’s been freezing cold, snowy, icy, salty, wet, foggy and windy most of January since the SWBO started. So I’ve not really been able to access the riding experience for this bike. Now in the upcoming week we’re looking at 50’s-60’s…so maybe I’ll get some actual tests in.

IMG_5438.jpeg
IMG_5440.jpeg
Finally fit the double pull brake lever, works pretty good rear effect first then front. If I use this I’ll more likely wrap bars. If the VeloOrange grip color works then maybe they get the honor. We’ll see.

Sunny and 52 degrees. Test ride went well so some photos in the sun for a change.

IMG_5443.jpeg
IMG_5444.jpeg
IMG_5449.jpeg
IMG_5450.jpeg
IMG_5453.jpeg

The lens for the light rattles so that another item for the tweak list.

Last edited:
Off topic again but somewhat in mourning. We did a short road trip on Tuesday. I ran across an old bike, told myself you don’t need another bike and didn’t have the right vehicle to haul a bike home.
There was a guy looking at it as we were leaving. I stopped and pointed out all the cool stuff about it, helping sell it I guess.
It was a late 30’s BF Goodrich by Schwinn straight bar with fenders, chainguard, locking fork, truss rods, red rubber persons pedals, long spring saddle, nice rear rack, rear drop stand and clip, skip tooth drive, drop center rims. Two glass fender reflectors, base of the front fender light, original paint with surface rust and grit, it had modern knobby tires. Probably the most original complete bike I’ve run across for a song of a price. I didn’t even take photos but it’s all ingrained as a mental picture.
At least I don’t have to deal with making a space for it.
——————————————————
Speaking of space, this is tight but no rubbing, might need to trim rubber sprue material.
IMG_5456.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeaaaah, probably time to add a half-link to your chain. At least I would, the noise of every tiny bit of sand or gravel pinging off the seat tube would drive me nuts.

Pity about the BF Goodrich, can't adopt them all.
The rear caliper doesn’t have enough reach to move the wheel back enough to lengthen chain. The dropout has room but the brake pad adjustment doesn’t. With the kind of riding I’ll do the location is probably OK. I’ll probably look for a longer reach caliper though.
Still kinda bummed that I didn’t get the BFG when I first saw.

IMG_5469.jpeg
IMG_5470.jpeg
Got the VeloOrange grips and put them on. They are called honey brown. Color doesn’t quite match the other leather but close. I like the feel of the grips. I’ll try them for a while. The wrap is still waiting in the wings, may still get their chance.

4 dabs of some silicone and the lens no longer rattles in the light housing, should be removable with a razor knife.

Last edited:
Back