SWB0 U-Haul State Core-Line

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never knew that U-Haul sold bikes or bike racks! Pretty cool starting point there! Can't wait to see how you enhance it!
I found that they even had their branding on previous cruiser and folding bikes.
1704820086884.jpeg

Pedals, tubes and tires…
IMG_5266.jpeg

IMG_5265.jpeg
IMG_5281.jpeg

Day started at 19 degrees, wind after a day of rain and snow.
IMG_5271.jpeg
IMG_5276.jpeg

I’m anxious to fit the tires, a bit of a gamble. If Mrs MF gives an OK I might temporarily borrow the kitchen for some tire changing.

IMG_5290.jpeg
IMG_5292.jpeg
OK, the 700c x 32 Kenda Kwick Tendril tires were pain to mount, but the rear is done. It fits but the OD is larger than the 700c x 28’s that were on it. The clearance is tight at the seat tube, but should increase as tire wears, and as chain is adjusted after some riding. Actual width is 1.125”. A little beefier look and tread pattern will work better with my riding style. Now on to the front.
IMG_5295.jpeg
IMG_5294.jpeg

Last edited:
And over here in Tulsa, we just got a 1/2 inch of snow this morning, but then the weather's going to immediately melt it and then freeze it over in the same week!
View attachment 256174
Sounds like the playground in front of our school. Drainage somehow stopped working quite a while ago, now you could go ice-skating in it...
IMG_20240109_124312060_HDR.jpg

(sorry for highjacking the thread with winter stuff) 🥶🙇

Back to topic now...

Starting point
IMG_4980.jpeg

IMG_5297.jpeg

As it sits now…still have pedals, grips, saddle and brake lever(s) to gel.

Last edited:
IMG_5306.jpeg
IMG_5308.jpeg
IMG_5310.jpeg
IMG_5323.jpeg
Added a pair of Van’s grips and Bontrager pedals. Street is iced and wet with salt residue, so no test ride yet. We did go outside for some as is pics.

Some as is shiny details…
IMG_5312.jpeg
IMG_5313.jpeg
IMG_5314.jpeg
IMG_5315.jpeg
IMG_5317.jpeg
IMG_5318.jpeg
IMG_5319.jpeg
IMG_5321.jpeg
IMG_5322.jpeg

IMG_5335.jpeg
IMG_5336.jpeg
IMG_5337.jpeg
IMG_5338.jpeg
IMG_5339.jpeg
Not sure what brand would have been associated with this old light. Looks to be a candidate for an LED upgrade. Hard for me to decide on it’s original use based on the small bracket size. Bulb is 6-8V T1129 mount.
Old vintage ratty light on shiny modern bike…might do another one of my cookie press battery cases or use some kind of bag for the battery pack.

Interesting shape on the bulb glass
IMG_5340.jpeg

Replacement bulb in the works.
IMG_5341.jpeg

IMG_5344.jpeg

Last edited:
They were a clamp on spot light for model T, clamp on windshield post, I got couple that are all brass...........Curt
Thanks, I picked it up at an auto swap meet. Think I paid $15 for it.

That's about what I payed for mine, seems to many different mountings on them, the 2 that I have are different form your. And I have seen them at swap meets also ........Curt

View attachment 255630View attachment 255631View attachment 255632View attachment 255633View attachment 255634View attachment 255635I added the Origin 8 mustache bars today. I tried them down and up. Down “looks” cool but up “feels” cool. I have a set of bar extenders on the way. They should allow the brake levers and grips to coexist on the short grip section of the bars.
A B-67 Brooks saddle from another unused bike was added for comfort.
I may experiment with another bar option. Still going to change out pedals and tires.
Mustache bars for the win~! Fits this type of build perfectly in my mind. Some matching bar wrap tape to your beautiful saddle would be frosting on the cake.

Mustache bars for the win~! Fits this type of build perfectly in my mind. Some matching bar wrap tape to your beautiful saddle would be frosting on the cake.
I’ve given some thought to wrapping the bars. The Brooks B67 saddle is an old one of a discontinued color. I’ve not found a good color match for it in either grips or wrap material. So the black Van’s grips I had on hand. Green to match the frame is elusive also.
I guess I’m thinking this bike is a skinny tired cruiser, thus the wider seat and mustache bars with extensions. Van’s does make some cruiser grips, but black or tan would be the color limitations.
I’m not really wanting to mess with stain to color match some leather wrap…but I suppose that would be the Rat Rod way.

A stain on a very light colored wrap, cream maybe (?) and then a shellac over the top for weather resistance and a glossier look to match your Sophistic-RaT build. That could be cool!

Or a pair of wood look or cork look grips that could be stained or dyed or Rat-tina-Ed like you did with your saddle on a build, the motorbike frame I think (where you used the WTB skin walls) but in a brown to coordinate with the Brooksie.

I used acrylic paint and a little dye on a pair of Ian's Thompson grips to get a close match to saddle and tires on Faded Glory upgrade last year.

Latest posts

Back