SWB0 U-Haul State Core-Line

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_5635.jpeg

Number 1 or Number 2?

IMG_5728.jpeg

Number 2 or Number 1?

IMG_5572.jpeg

Or Number 3?

Last edited:
I would go for no. 1, as no. 2 looks like someone put a nice rack on the back of a bike while no. 1 looks like it is part of the machine

For practicality: 2
For style: 3
Thanks.
Thanks.
I would go for no. 1, as no. 2 looks like someone put a nice rack on the back of a bike while no. 1 looks like it is part of the machine
Thanks.
Thanks.
Thanks.
Thanks.

Thanks for the input and responses. No real consensus at this point, guess I’m leaning towards the skinny rack number 2, number 1 looks too bulky in my opinion and it’s not parallel with the top bar.
With that said I’ve read that bikes with racks don’t do well in the voting, maybe number 3 is the way to go…finished photos will show the solution.

It is going to be your choice, but I will point out that being parallel with the top bar is not essential when the handlebar etc are sloped up at the front and the BB to rear wheel (whatever they are called) bars are also sloped up.

You can adjust the horizontal angle of the rack by flattening the two braces going to the seat collar. That will tilt it back slightly. I had to do that when adding a rack to a 20" inch bike frame. It was slanted downward in the front. Here it is before and after.
227679-chainwheel-44.jpg
255972-Red-Tiger-2024.jpg

Actually I recant my vote of No.1 and go with No.2, I didn't know what I was thinking, No.1 would suit a big boxy E bike......and this ain't that
Agreed!
#2 painted black.
Stays silver, thanks.
It is going to be your choice, but I will point out that being parallel with the top bar is not essential when the handlebar etc are sloped up at the front and the BB to rear wheel (whatever they are called) bars are also sloped up.
I was thinking the top bar was level but it has backwards rake. The number two rack is mounted level with the world. I think that works. I’ll try some photos on St Patrick’s Day.
IMG_5766.jpeg

Last edited:
I put 10.96 miles on this today, sorta a shakedown cruise. Everything went well luckily as I forgot to take a multitool for adjustments. Took a few tree hugger photos along the way.
IMG_5778.jpeg
IMG_5782.jpeg
IMG_5783.jpeg
IMG_5786.jpeg
IMG_5790.jpeg
IMG_5791.jpeg
IMG_5775.jpeg
IMG_5773.jpeg

I planned to do a couple of shots at a U-Haul dealer, when I got there they no longer existed, storage facility only. So that was an extra 3 miles with mostly headwinds. Good cardio work but frustrating outcome. ☘️

Last edited:
BUILD PARTS LIST: ☘️
————————————————-
State Core-Line 700c SS Custom
U-Haul NOS Bike in Box platform.
(Retained frame, fork, chain, headset, bottom bracket, crank set, wheelset, tubes, seatpost + clamp and front caliper brake)
Recycled State threadless stem
Origin 8 mustache bars
FMFXTR bar extenders
VeloOrange grips
Delta dual brake lever
Refurbished teacup light with LED bulb
AA 12V battery pack and switch
Analog phone line conductor
Recycled Vintage leather frame bag
Brooks leather bar wrap
18T freewheel upgrade + half link in chain
Blackspire platform pedals
Kenda Kwick Tendril is 700c x 32 tires
Recycled Brooks B-67 honey Brown Saddle
Recycled Linus rear rack
Free Parking bell
Cable guide organizers
Rear long reach Tektro 559 caliper brake
Generic brake cable and housing
State oil slick bottle cage

FINISHED BUILD THREAD
https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/u-haul-core-line.119582/

Last edited:
Well one last heritage adventure before the SWBO deadline. To avoid the “how bad do you want to die route” to a U-Haul facility, I loaded the “rack queen” bike on my truck for today’s trip.
They had various sized trucks and trailers, I went with the smaller trailers for the relative scale of the Core-Line bike.

IMG_5872.jpeg
IMG_5874.jpeg
IMG_5876.jpeg
IMG_5875.jpeg

Last edited:
Back