Uncle Shrink's Mini Me (the mini clone)(video added 3-20)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Paul decided that the kid bike build off was right up his alley. No limitations on frame mods.

So I rounded up some parts and headed over to his house today to see what he could put together.

I brought the remnants of a BMX bike that I found in the neighborhood a few months ago, a coaster brake wheel that a guy at a flea market gave me and Paul, and a 16" Schwinn chopper bike that my grandson had outgrown.

a-2.jpg

IMG_1927.jpg

b-2.jpg

c.jpg

Paul decided that for this bike build he needed to become "Uncle Shrink" instead of "Uncle Stretch", so he went into shrink mode.

The first step was to determine how a 20" frame would line up on his jig - since it was setup for building 26" bikes.

d-1.jpg

e.jpg

Then he decided on the size pipe he wanted to use for the frame and began work.

f.jpg

g.jpg

After doing some work with his pipe bender the top tubes went into place.

k.jpg

Once the top tubes were in place the seat tube came next.

n.jpg

The next step was to graft on the rear frame section from a 24" girl's mountain bike.

q.jpg

aa.jpg

bb.jpg

Once the rear section was in place we threw on the 20" wheels, a seat, and the handlebars that came on the Schwinn chopper and here are the results of today's build.

dd.jpg

kk.jpg

ll.jpg

mm.jpg

Paul said tomorrow will be spent doing some additional clean up on the welds, throwing on his signature black paint job, and installing the crank and chain. So if all goes as planned this build could be in the bag by tomorrow.

So it looks like this will be another quick build by Uncle Stretch - I mean Uncle Shrink.

Re: Uncle Shrink's Mini Me

Ha Ha...this is great...I heard something was coming!

I see another frame design in the Uncle Stretch catalog....for father and son rides. :D

I think it needs white walls. 8)

As you can imagine, neither of us had a lot of extra 20" bike parts laying around.

So blackwalls was the best we could come up with. :lol:

Once the crank and chain are in place and the paint job is done it will look like mini me for sure.

JEEZ!!!!!!! Does every bike have to look like like the one he got from Hootch? JK- Looks Awesome! 8)
L8 Em

UNBELIEVABLE! :shock: .........You guys have enough time to enter 60 bikes in the build off! NICE JOB.

TheDuke said:
JEEZ!!!!!!! Does every bike have to look like like the one he got from Hootch? JK- Looks Awesome! 8)
L8 Em
Ok I might be stuck on a design.....but when was the last time you saw a kid ridding a miniture 1938 Colson around your neighborhood. :D :D :D :D

Re: Uncle Shrink's Mini Me (the mini clone)

-

The hardest part was getting the Schwinn Stingray Chopper bike away from my grandson.

He put up quite a fight and he was laying there crying like a baby when I tossed it into the back of my Trailblazer and took off.

Hey, we needed the front end for the build off .... what could I say.

Just kidding. He actually got a new 20" BMX for Christmas so this one was just a left over and my daughter was happy to get it out of her garage.

The funny thing is the bike came with an 18" wheel on the front and a wide 16" on the back and the neck on those chopper bikes are raked like crazy, so the front fork actually has enough room to easily run a 24" wheel and I think even a 26" wheel would fit.

Also, it has a 5" neck tube, so it would work on a lot of adult sized bikes.

Paint work has begun on the mini clone.

The frame is now black and the front triple tree went from red to silver.

p3.jpg

p-1.jpg

p5.jpg

Paul got busy again today and finished up the paint and put the mini clone together.

So here's a few shots of the finished product.

Once I get back over to his place we'll take some riding pictures or maybe a video.

Hummm, two good sized brothers trying to ride a mini clone bike. Should make for some interesting pictures. :lol: :lol:

xDSCF0004.jpg

xDSCF0001.jpg

xDSCF0002.jpg

xDSCF0005.jpg

xDSCF0006.jpg

xDSCF0007.jpg

Re: Uncle Shrink's Mini Me (the mini clone)(finished pics added)

I bet you could fit a 3" tire on that rim and in that frame... :wink: :wink: :wink:

.... man, that is just too cool!!!

Btw, riding that should be no issue for you two. I'm 6'8" and ride a '69 Stingray...now THAT looks funny.

Dan

Ok maybe there was a memo and I missed it. What were we suppose to do with these after we finished? :roll: :roll:

ride them :mrgreen:
dont forget to post the riding pics!(gonna be hilarious seeing grown men on itty bitty bikes :lol: )

Very nice job. You make it look so easy.

Latest posts

Back