Unknown Schwinn Updated! (1960 Schwinn Tornado)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The job I just started had this bike sitting in an extra building, they used to have a 'country store' display/theme when they first opened and had this in there. I harassed the owner until he sold it t o me for $40. I wanted to save it so bad, for a restoration project, if it can be saved. I don't have any info on it yet. I hope it's not a repop (the rust says otherwise) and I hope it is not too far gone yet (check the handlebars pic). I haven't even looked at the serial number yet. :p RIght now it's hanging until I can get to it and eventually would like to find a woman to ride it. :D

20120528_120432.jpg

20120528_120444.jpg

20120528_120517.jpg

20120528_120527.jpg

20120528_120540.jpg

20120528_120555.jpg

20120528_120634.jpg

Once again, the high noon sun is my mortal photo enemy! Also, is the 'front' of the rack supposed to be attached to the frame somehow? There is a bolt/screw in there and it just flops. Like something is missing.

Re: Unknown Schwinn

Oh Snap! I just saw the lettering on the chainguard. My first clue!

Looks to be about a '58-62 Tornado. If it says deluxe on the chainguard, then this would have originally had a horn tank as well. Definitely a good, solid bike.

Here's a '60 I overhauled for my girlfriend. If you ever decide to part with the rear rack on it, I'd be interested :wink:

DSCF3030.jpg

Word. Thanks guys. I did look and find the serial number when I got home tonight...despite the best intentions of a bartender for me to not see straight. ;)

Serial number is K045727. According to Outskirtscustoms's link, this dates it at a 1960.
(10/20 ------------------ K045455 ----------------- K047434)

Yeah! First step is done. Anyone have a sister that likes older bike nerds and music geeks? :p

Big_Daddy_Sloth said:
... Anyone have a sister that likes older bike nerds and music geeks? :p

Be careful what you ask for. Take heed the words of one Mister Cat Stevens:

"Another fella told me, he had a sister who looked just fine. Instead of bein' my deliverance, she had a strange resemblance to a cat name of Frankenstein"

2151683845_faf638ae38.jpg

heyslugger said:
Big_Daddy_Sloth said:
... Anyone have a sister that likes older bike nerds and music geeks? :p

Be careful what you ask for. Take heed the words of one Mister Cat Stevens:

"Another fella told me, he had a sister who looked just fine. Instead of bein' my deliverance, she had a strange resemblance to a cat name of Frankenstein"

Bwah-hahahahahaha! Duly noted.

Back