Unofficial March Shootout 3

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey @Wildcat
I believe with some leverage you can do the vertical pull. A long lever moving a short lever should do it. Mounting the pivot point is the trick, that and lining it all up. Have you seen the rod brakes I'm talking about? It's old tech, early 1900's. They have the vertical pull action. But possible center pull brakes would work if the lever pivot is in place. I'm pretty sure you can increase the pull that way. I'd make my levers one piece with some additional holes to adjust tension...

Here's a down and dirty pic.
View attachment 153065
It's just an idea. Fuel for tinkering...

GC
That's my problem, the short end was on top, just the opposite of what would give a good pull. I'll try to reverse the lever with the short end down and see how much pull it has with a long handle sticking up. Then trimming it down enough to keep it functional.

I laid out all my metal bar and scrap parts to try to come up with a solution. It's now foot operated. I just need some kind of foot pedal to attach to the bolt just above the bell.
footbrake 1.JPG

Wildcat, I would be afraid the coaster will work too good. Like how those Bendix red band coasters would lock up and burn rubber. As a kid I had a very beat Alstate 125 street bike that I ran off road. It only had a functional front brake. Locking up the front brake on 2 wheels is very bad.

There's nothing like going to the ER and explaining what happened. "My homemade bike had a malfunction and I wound up on the pavement". I was in my 50's to boot. I actually had that happen when I pulled wheelies on my hastily welded up tallbike, even though it wasn't that tall. I heard the doc and nurses laughing. My younger brother and I welded it and it was lined up perfectly somehow.
1917905_214634536736_2158834_n.jpg

As I tested it out I could ride it no hands easily, so I tried a wheelie and it worked great. So I yelled to my older brother to get it on camera as I rode past. Well, there was too much weight with those forks and 3" tires way up in the air and over it came.
20567_249449076736_6394206_n (1).jpg

I sprained my knee and ankle and couldn't walk it off.
So I won't be doing that again, or riding any contraption that isn't safe. These Chinese coaster brakes barely stop normally and even foot operated doesn't have much effect on the front.

I finished up Ratty Patty (Ratina Patina) this morning. I remembered I had some footrests for bicycles and used one for the brake pedal. There is a little stopping action in the front now.
I'm happy I was finally able to use my 2 speed manual idea, but hadn't thought of using both wheels. My favorite thing is the patina on this unused frame.
rp1 20 mar 21.JPG

rp2 20 mar 21.JPG

I aged this chinese made seat and added motorcycle springs.
rp3 20 mar 21.JPG

I've had this western flyer light for years.
rp4 20 mar 21.JPG

It doesn't work, it's the camera flash.
rp5 20 mar 21.JPG

Front wheel.
rp6 20 mar 21.JPG

Back wheel, swap the wheels to shift gears.
rp7 20 mar 21.JPG

My homemade cottered dual chainwheel.
rp8 20 mar 21.JPG

I finished up Ratty Patty (Ratina Patina) this morning. I remembered I had some footrests for bicycles and used one for the brake pedal. There is a little stopping action in the front now.
I'm happy I was finally able to use my 2 speed manual idea, but hadn't thought of using both wheels. My favorite thing is the patina on this unused frame.
View attachment 153123
View attachment 153124

I aged this chinese made seat and added motorcycle springs.
View attachment 153125

I've had this western flyer light for years.
View attachment 153126
It doesn't work, it's the camera flash.
View attachment 153127
Front wheel.
View attachment 153128
Back wheel, swap the wheels to shift gears.
View attachment 153129
My homemade cottered dual chainwheel.
View attachment 153130
You squeezed in a whole bunch Ratrod engineering for a quick and dirty build. Nice!

It's hard to see but we're looking at the rear triangle of an OCC stinkray flipped over, with a couple of pieces of steel plate clamped on. Just checking my fit, widths and such. It might work...
IMG_20210320_161704780.jpg

I wanted around 7.5" between and I've got 7 and 3/8ths. I'm not building a Mars Rover so it should be good...

GC.

Last edited:
It's hard to see but we're looking at the rear triangle of an OCC stinkray flipped over, with a couple of pieces of steel plate clamped on. Just checking my fit, widths and such. It might work...View attachment 153156
I wanted around 7.5" between and I've got 7 and 3/8ths so I'm not building a Mars Rover so it should be good...

GC.
Close enough for gummit work. :)

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Had about an hour and a half today before it started to rain. Again.
Started the gusset/plate. Trying to match the profile of the front of the chainguard in the cutout. Haven't decided how to fasten it in yet. Thinking about maybe using automotive trim adhesive.
20210320_181520.jpg

20210320_181642.jpg

Before welding I like to see if it all bolts together nicely. ( it's also flipped back over ) But looking at where my chain line will be, I wonder if I could flip my cogs around and run the smaller gears inside? I'm thinking the derailleur wouldn't be very happy... But I may try it just to see. I don't use the easiest gears much but missing those high gears will slow me down.
IMG_20210320_202348451.jpg
IMG_20210320_202714873.jpg

GC.

Before welding I like to see if it all bolts together nicely. ( it's also flipped back over ) But looking at where my chain line will be, I wonder if I could flip my cogs around and run the smaller gears inside? I'm thinking the derailleur wouldn't be very happy... But I may try it just to see. I don't use the easiest gears much but missing those high gears will slow me down.
View attachment 153167View attachment 153168

GC.
No chance of squeezing washer or two in there for a little more room?

A washer won't get it. Checking with a piece of chain I can get 3rd gear clear... But that's clearing a bolt head that I could move and no idlers anywhere. I'm still going to try flipping the gears. First I need two bikes worth of chain. Hehe, it's around 7 foot long.
IMG_20210320_211112522.jpg
IMG_20210320_211218436.jpg

Looking down the side of Muscle Spasm, note the same front OCC sprocket will handle the smaller chain.

GC.

Wait till I get to the brakes... I'm either going to have the run the caliper upside down or cut some steel out...

GC.

MBBO 2013 HeadBanger. I hated the banana and the smaller rams didn't help it.
Hedbngrwbrkz.JPEG

Da Bears rebuild better color but orange bmx grips were lame and it still has that single speed rear hub. The soft tail is cool and rides nice but slow. I don't like slow either.
DaBears.JPG

It needs some adjustments. Probably lower the rear axle hole an inch or so, move the shock mount back up a hole or two (it's adjustable) maybe a bent seat post but it feels right where it's at riding it... Sitting on it now It's higher up, feels kinda like a BMX. It's some kinda hybrid mashup for sure. No fender for it now but I may fab a mudflap... I wonder what a 29er front wheel would look like?
Headbanger III.jpg

Besides all the maybes I have a pretty big punch list for so little to be on it.
Brakes.
Derailleur and shifter. Flipped cog?
Stiffer shock... cuz I like cheeseburgers...
Shape the plates prime and paint them. (frame is staying blue)

and create a trophy for the March Shootout III

Carl.

Last edited:
Wow! they really didn’t want that track block chain coming apart. I looked for a master link but there wasn’t one. Each chain pin was peaned on both sides so it couldn’t come loose. I used my specially modified block chain breaker. It wouldn’t move the pin so I thought I would put the chain breaker handle in a giant vice and use big wrench to turn the driver pin handle. The pin started to bend and then the handle snapped off without the pin moving. The chain link was as movable as ever. So I was going to try and drive the pin out with a mallet and punch. Just as I was getting ready to try this I noticed a small nut and bolt. You need a screwdriver with a big handle and a fine point. None of mine fit, except those that are tiny. I’m soaking it and will grind down a screwdriver to fit. I’ll wait a few days for the Blaster to work. If it doesn’t work I’ll have to grind off the nut and bolt and drive that out. Old track stuff is weird.
0F7222A2-A2C0-40F0-B669-3B2709F83DB2.jpeg

Wow! they really didn’t want that track block chain coming apart. I looked for a master link but there wasn’t one. Each chain pin was peaned on both sides so it couldn’t come loose. I used my specially modified block chain breaker. It wouldn’t move the pin so I thought I would put the chain breaker handle in a giant vice and use big wrench to turn the driver pin handle. The pin started to bend and then the handle snapped off without the pin moving. The chain link was as movable as ever. So I was going to try and drive the pin out with a mallet and punch. Just as I was getting ready to try this I noticed a small nut and bolt. You need a screwdriver with a big handle and a fine point. None of mine fit, except those that are tiny. I’m soaking it and will grind down a screwdriver to fit. I’ll wait a few days for the Blaster to work. If it doesn’t work I’ll have to grind off the nut and bolt and drive that out. Old track stuff is weird.
View attachment 153184
When I took the block chain apart on my Pope I ended up sweating penetrating oil into the screw threads and then using my SnapOn impact driver. There was a bit that fit perfectly.

Is there a difference between block chain and skiptooth? I've got some old skiptooth that busted a piece on my chain breaker once... Now I grind it off and fit a new piece in with hammer and punch.

Carl.

I've had fun with chain today too. Piecing together some junk chains to see if I can get this tank rolling. I did and we'll not be flipping the cogset either. The splines aren't symmetrical so it's not happening. So I redrilled the rear axle in a new position and you can see it's got a nice stance. I got it in second with no shifter and it's stout. But I'm happy and it's a roller.
IMG_20210321_172426215.jpg
IMG_20210321_172524391.jpg
IMG_20210321_180005161.jpg

And I got the caliper mounted!
Cables and such soon.

GC.

Got a few more details with the truss cleared up this afternoon and started to dismantle the bike. It dawned on me the month is almost gone. Gotta get this thing painted!!!
I checked the weather for this week and it looks like Thursday will be the best day to paint. Fortunately I am working from home due to the pandemic, so I am planning to get the first coat done during lunch and slip out mid afternoon for a second coat. Tomorrow and Tuesday afternoon will be clean up and paint prep. Going to visit my friendly neighborhood chiropractor Wednesday after work! LOL

Is there a difference between block chain and skiptooth? I've got some old skiptooth that busted a piece on my chain breaker once... Now I grind it off and fit a new piece in with hammer and punch.

Carl.
Yes block chains are blocks of metal or laminated sheets to make it solid. There are no rollers. I’ll try to remember to take a photo tomorrow. All my laminated block chains have master links and the pins are easily removed.

Back