Unofficial March Shootout 4

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't like the look of my gender bender at all!
Time for frame number two hahaha.
I will use the other for a donor. So it won't go to waste.
20220310_123443.jpg

I cut mine today...
IMG_20220309_202655.jpg

No going back now...
IMG_20220309_202702.jpg

It had patina...
IMG_20220309_202714.jpg

How to get a curve going in the opposite direction it was going without a bender...
IMG_20220309_202745.jpg

Nubs inside the joints...

GC.

Last edited:
IMG_20220309_222621.jpg

I guarantee I'm the worst welder on this site. But I don't use bondo and I don't cover them up either. Still flipping through names for it. There's something bubbling just under the surface. I'm thinking I might make a big plate for it out of metal or plexiglass...

Carl.

Last edited:
I had an old sofa covered in denim. Stripped all of it off when I scrapped the couch.
I'm about to scrap a leather couch. Now saving some choice pieces shall happen.
This is what I was speaking of. Y'all make Peterson from the film The Green Berets look like an amateur scrounger.

Build update, that friggin stem on the Speedster is still stuck. I may cut it, but don't want to. I'm going to back off of it for a week and keep the penetrant on it daily. My heat gun was old and decided to die, so a new one is getting picked up today or tomorrow. Today's focus will be on the wheelset. I have a New Departure set with good tubes and tires and what appears to be restorable chrome.

Last edited:
I learned a lot on this site socially, and expanded my fab and modeling skills a bunch. Such a great group to share ideas with, and get help when stuck or not sure which route to take or pick a part that looks great on the build.

To me it's never about the votes but to build a bike that excites and gets the heart pumping faster just by looking at it. For the love of the ride. 👍
The blessing of this site is that the snobbery, put downs, and personal attacks that occur on other bicycle forums is absent from this site. When I first found this site I witnessed people taking one piece crank bicycles, condescendingly called BSO's on other forums, and making wonderful useful art objects and just good every day bicycles. Bicycle Shaped Object for those that haven't heard this degrading slur. Old worn bicycles are celebrated on this site. One speed coaster brake bicycles are celebrated on this site. In fact all bicycles new, old, cool and not cool are celebrated on this site. Wonderful. Money or the lack of money is not regarded as a gateway to being a real person and bicycle enthusiast on this forum.

The exact thing I wasn't going to do for this build. Cut and weld, weld and cut hahaha.
Looks better now though.
View attachment 188095View attachment 188096View attachment 188097View attachment 188098
The gentle curve of your top tube/rear stays is very graceful . Very much improved the lines of this bike. Tall seat posts worry me, at 270lbs I have to watch that sort of thing. I ride a couple of bikes with tall seat posts and have broken two steel seatpost tubes because of long seatposts. Keep up the good work.

The blessing of this site is that the snobbery, put downs, and personal attacks that occur on other bicycle forums is absent from this site. When I first found this site I witnessed people taking one piece crank bicycles, condescendingly called BSO's on other forums, and making wonderful useful art objects and just good every day bicycles. Bicycle Shaped Object for those that haven't heard this degrading slur. Old worn bicycles are celebrated on this site. One speed coaster brake bicycles are celebrated on this site. In fact all bicycles new, old, cool and not cool are celebrated on this site. Wonderful. Money or the lack of money is not regarded as a gateway to being a real person and bicycle enthusiast on this forum.
Love this post ..wish I could give it multiple likes :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :rockout: !

I grew a little bit of patina for Good From Afar, it really adds to the look of a bike that feels too new. Just be careful that the frame is clean, I should have worn gloves to handle mine. I had a hand shaped rust spot on the down tube that was darker than the rest

Back