Unofficial March Shootout 4

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I once over cleaned a frame with citric acid all the rust was gone but went to looking like a poorly painted bike. I'm in the process of adding rust right now.
IMG_20220311_073934791.jpg

Been sitting there since October.

I grew a little bit of patina for Good From Afar, it really adds to the look of a bike that feels too new. Just be careful that the frame is clean, I should have worn gloves to handle mine. I had a hand shaped rust spot on the down tube that was darker than the rest
I hit the frame and fork with some 80g in places, a little paint stripper here and there, and rubbed a bunch of rusty steel over the stainless top tubes.
I've mixed up a chlorine/ dish liquid mix to spray on over the next few days. Hoping it helps the stainless to rust up.

View attachment 188103
I guarantee I'm the worst welder on this site. But I don't use bondo and I don't cover them up either. Still flipping through names for it. There's something bubbling just under the surface. I'm thinking I might make a big plate for it out of metal or plexiglass...

Carl.
looking for a name....
with the arched backbone and nose high stance reminds me of a camel.
so, around that idea....
- "what day is it?"
- hump day
- mike, mike, mike
- wednesday
- carl's camel klunker

If you're looking for rust a vinegar wash will speed up the process...
looking for a name....
with the arched backbone and nose high stance reminds me of a camel.
so, around that idea....
- "what day is it?"
- hump day
- mike, mike, mike
- wednesday
- carl's camel klunker
Camel is one word I've been juggling around... But it's not a klunker, more of a dragster so there's that.

Carl.

Last edited:
Contrary to Joe Camel: https://www.thrillist.com/sex-dating/nation/camel-tow-is-the-countrys-sexiest-towing-company

Yesterday's venture was not a waste because a bunch of parts were cleaned and sorted and two wheelsets were de-tensioned in the process. I have two identical wheelsets to go through today and the better front and rear of the two sets will be restored and used. By the end of my work day, I should have a parts pic of almost everything going on the build and awaiting the stuck stem removal.

Camel Toad?
IMG_20220311_111736.jpg

A bit more welding to do yet too...
IMG_20220311_112025.jpg
IMG_20220311_112346.jpg

We're looking at the left side of the plate. Traditionally the non viewing side. The other side is painted in a hammered silver and black, you can see the over spray around the edges. Recycled foot pedal display from the music store. I'll be painting this side. The upsidedown pattern was first thought, maybe incorporating the square knockouts. But no, what would the purpose be? The smaller screw holes will just have to be, it's a lot of work for little return just to fill them and I'm not 100% on the hammered finish either. It's very well done but does it match the bike? I may yet flip the pattern to make the side I paint the primary viewing side. Especially if I can come up with some signage.

Carl.

Last edited:
The Bonefish Extension
Picked up a can of black appliance epoxy paint and some sanding pads for the fork. It is snowing in my sanding booth/paint shop, it'll have to wait
IMG_20220311_163032474.jpg

Got a cold snap and woke up to fresh snow here too (that's already melted) but I put in a little each day if I can. My litebox of a garage door doesn't keep much chill out, so this afternoon I was working fast.
IMG_20220311_171213.jpg

Then I opened the door and leaned my bike against the truck.
IMG_20220311_171908.jpg

Walked around to shoot the other side and bumped the truck...
IMG_20220311_171938.jpg

I did flip the hammered finish to this side. Bumping my truck knocked it down like a house of cards since it was really just leaning with no nuts on the front wheel and it's a steel beast, so... I drug the carcass back in the garage and shut the door. Coffee and surfing for now.

Carl.

Camel Toad?

As soon as 'Camel' was mentioned I thought of this...

iu

...so 'Camel Toad' is good, or maybe 'Camel Towed'?

:nod:

Or... Ahab... as in Ahab the Arab... the sheik of the burning sand...

Or... Clyde... and then you can jump on your camel named Clyde, and ride...

:nerd:

Glen.

Hey gotta work on it everyday to get it done in a month, without putting in long hours.
These bars are a fer shure dood...
IMG_20220312_151909.jpg

Gotta get the front axle shorted out.
Finally and bolted. Check.
IMG_20220312_154730.jpg

I think the seat and post are good too.
IMG_20220312_154742.jpg

And while Camel Toad is funny,
is it really? I can do better...

Carl.

Last edited:
Bonefish:
Braved the snow and cold to get the fork prepped
IMG_20220312_162310146.jpg
IMG_20220312_162308270.jpg

I wanted to get rid of the gouges so the appliance paint goes on smooth. However, it's freezing out there, so good enough became the goal.
IMG_20220312_164703740.jpg

Hope to throw paint at it sometime this week.

Bonefish:
Braved the snow and cold to get the fork prepped View attachment 188351View attachment 188350
I wanted to get rid of the gouges so the appliance paint goes on smooth. However, it's freezing out there, so good enough became the goal.View attachment 188348
Hope to throw paint at it sometime this week.
Bring it in the house and warm it up. Preheat your can of paint under hot running water. Take it out and paint it, let it set a bit and if you can bring it back in the house to cure. I paint in a cold garage all the time... but they dry in the house.

Carl.

@GTHOtrod I'm thinking your build should be shiny bare metal, polished and cleared with Duplicolor Effex. Google it. I've used it so much, it looks fantastic in person but is hard to get a good photo of. Your modern roadster would be a tough bare metal bomber.

GC.

@GTHOtrod I'm thinking your build should be shiny bare metal, polished and cleared with Duplicolor Effex. Google it. I've used it so much, it looks fantastic in person but is hard to get a good photo of. Your modern roadster would be a tough bare metal bomber.

GC.
I think you're right. I'm not really feeling the rust look for this one. Might be time to clean it up LOL

IMG_20220313_162335.jpg

Found a donor cup for the trophy today.
IMG_20220313_182939.jpg

It's weird to win your own trophy so I didn't make one for 2021, I just sharpied in another year...
IMG_20220313_182955.jpg

Most of the details are done on the new one, although I didn't get to work on my bike, I just need to get the tag made.
"Rat Supreme"

Carl.

Last edited:
Back