Unretained ball bearings

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read on another forum that you can pack coaster brake ball bearings without the retainers. I am thinking about doing this to a Bendix 70 that I am working on. Has anyone else tried this? I put my Bendix 70 together dry (no lube) to see how many balls I would need and if I could even get it assembled.

This is what I've noticed so far:

There are three sets of cones and cups. The two larger sets have 9 balls in each retainer, I looks like you can fit 13 balls without a retainer. The smaller set has 7 balls in the retainer, and it looks like you can fit 9 without the retainer. (I was able to fit 14 and 10 balls into the cups, but when I did that, they were touching each other. I have read that you need to keep a little space in there so that the balls don't rub against each other as they turn.)

The only difficult part so far has been getting the balls into the large retainer on the side with the brake arm. The cup on that side is smaller and you have to hold the cone partially in place to keep the balls from falling into the shell with the brake pads. But, I am thinking that when I put it together for good, I can use the grease to hold them in place while I get the cone screwed on to the axle.

If anyone has tried this, let me know!

Thanks

Pete

This has been done many times. When you add balls, there should be room to put 1 or even 2 more bearings. I like cages, and not only for the obvious convenience. I also feel that the even spread during bearing adjustment is helpful, especially with coaster hubs, which are notorious for having a very small window between slop and drag on the drive side. :|

Throw a little grease into the cup before you place the balls. It will hold everything together while you debate the 12th vs. 13th ball.

Back