Urine Yellow - mountain bike to bmx conversion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Screenshot_20220530-072554_Facebook.jpg

Messing around with a mountain bike to bmx conversion, figure my daughter or I could ride it. Key was finding a short height frame, this is 14"seat tube.

Pic above is the bike as purchased, that side is a nice yellow, which I like, it sat outside and the other side is faded thru and a completely different color of yellow and the decals are under a clear coat - so now I'm just annoyed that's its yellow. :) it'll have to get painted if it all works out and someone wants to ride it.

Time to get some weight off, it is an aluminum frame.

Did a fork conversion in the link below, cut the headtube off 1 1/8" suspension fork and welded on a 1" threaded with a height adjust to make up for the suspension fork
https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/threa...k-conversion-not-headset.115935/#post-1213275
Stripped off all the derailleurs

Stripped down the drive side crank to only the middle gear 32 tooth. Planning on 32/16 gearing, just cause that's what the center sprocket is, with a single speed 16t freewheel. Could go to 33 or 34 tooth of the bike is a keeper.
20220601_181731.jpg

The rear wheel is a cassette, so I can ride with a 15 or 17 tooth rear gear for test ride and decide if I'm going to relace the rear wheel for single speed.

We'll see where it goes from here and if it rides well as a BMX or not. I can always throw some apes on it and cruise around.

Last edited:
Checking the paint supply.

Rattle Can: 4 different blue, black, white silver, yellow, 2 different pink, bad doo-doo brown, red, 4 different tan, light olive green, Chevy orange.

Enamel for spray gun: black, 2 metallic silver, 4 tan-browns, white, 2 reds, cream, dove gray,
8 colors of pearl (But I'm out of enamel clear)

Bright white enamel with a hardener ?
Chevy Orange ?

I'm still annoyed that the decals are under clear. If I paint the frame, the rest of the parts will look - well - scrubby and beat up. If I was able to keep the yellow it would have a consistent level of neglect.

Well, gotta admit a complete Dum Dum move. The fork I modified for a height adjusted 26" - WAS A 24" FORK.

UHHHH.

All is not lost, little grinding and a 26x1.75 and it's mocked up with some random spare parts. But it's probably not any more rise on the fork than a regular 26"

When I went In the attic to grab the tires, I bumped my head on A 26" fork hanging from the rafters.

Double UHHHH

There's enough there to carry on, throw a chain on, see if it will hang ok with single speed and non adjustable drops, or if I need a half link.

Might as well order the half link now.

20220602_211105.jpg

Welcome back to the build off fun, @Indyjps ! That small framed MTB should make for a fun BMX conversion.

RaT oN~!

I need to get a chain on and see how it rides. It's still a "test subject" it feels a little tight for me from the mock up.

If myself or my daughter like it as a bmx..... then I'll spend some money.

If not there's a lot of pretty donor good parts.

Alternative - 24" Rear with coaster. Raked out fork to keep BB height up. Banana, Apes. I think I have some 24" chrome rims in the stash.

We'll see where it goes.

Threw a chain on loosely and took it for a ride. It's worth it to keep going. The bottom bracket height is fine with the fork on there now (no taller than standard 26" fork)

May look around for 26" 1 1/8 donor fork / bike or buy a straight chrome fork.

Rear wheel needs relaced or swapped to single speed to find true chainline, then adjust spacing / and set chain length. Both rear cogs I tried a chain on for test ride would have required half link to be right. Undecided on 1/8 or 3/32 chain, really depends on rear mock up and freewheel.

I have a 26" rear with hub for thread on freewheel, need to find it and see if it's dished from multi speed or if I centered it. Was going to be used on a flightliner build.

Decide if I'm keeping skewers or converting to nutted axles

Last edited:
You should change the build name to "Urine Luck" :D

My ADD is kicking in, went out to work on this a few times and started something else each time. Hmm, hung it up, we'll see when it gets interesting again

Picked up this Specialized Myka over the winter for almost nothing. I think its a women's bike but a 19" frame. Pretty comfy actually. Cables are all slacked, doesn't shift, Needs a tune up. Might sell it or keep it as a rider. Purple doesn't bother me a bit.
20220607_173522.jpg

Last edited:
I always wondered what made a bike "female". Minus the saddle, there really isn't anything different, is there? Is it just marketed to women with color schemes, graphics, and names?
It seems like if the top tube isn't horizontal it's called a ladies bike. 😆

It was marketed as a female bike. ? Who knows, purple is fine with me.
With 19" frame height, it's a good fit.

Got sidetracked again, building a tool cabinet to slide under my fab bench, 28" height. Building it from filing cabinets that I'm cutting down. It's definitely rat rod.
So far all materials have been free, 2 filing cabinets and an old school office chair with ball bearing wheels and metal frame.

That can't be it. The west coast is FULL of bikes like thatView attachment 196134
Provides mobility, allowing more dynamic riding positions
This is a perfect frame for me, rear of top tube even with tire. I like a shorter frame versus what's "recommended" per height.

I ride a lot of BMX still and ride standing a lot. The taller frames feel sluggish, they dont bunny hop well. I still ride full rigid on trails - other riders look at me like I'm insane.

20220612_174553.jpg

So why did I spend all day in the garage. Having a beer now and contemplating.

Anyway, rat rod tool cabinet is complete. Even that had some eventful moments. I had a paint gun that I've been meaning to rehab, loaned it out and it came back screwed up.
Cleaned and shot some thinner thru it, no flow. After poking around, the clip that attaches to the trigger and pulls the needle back was missing.
Hmm, already had it out. Already had some polyurethane mixed to shoot on the cabinet as a sealer. Yeah yeah. Polyurethane on metal, it works OK and I have a bunch of it that will probably go bad before I use it.

Hooked up the air and ran the trigger with one hand and the needle with the other hand and shot it. It was humorous - 2 hand shooting.

Cabinet will fit under the fab bench at my shop. Old school heavy duty filing cabinets with ball bearing slides.
Definitely a get it done - fab style on this. I do body work on cars I restore, very capable of metal finishing - not needed on this.

20220612_173750.jpg

Last edited:
I had a paint gun that I've been meaning to rehab, loaned it out and it came back screwed up.
I have one friend who tools get loaned to and vice versa because we know that if something happens to what we borrow it gets replaced outright. Bonus, we're also neighbors.

Back