USAAF Bike "Fred"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Had to post a teaser for my next build. Going to be classy and themed. Will be adding tank panels and that's it for mods. Everything else should be bolt on.
baron%20bike2003.jpg

Plan right now is a rear single speed coaster brake or two speed kick back coaster brake. Are the sprockets on these hubs one size or can it be changed? Using this build to learn more about the building and servicing bikes.

Picking through ebay and 4-sale threads to see what I can find for crank, chainring, pedals and other driveline parts. Really like the different look of a half link chain.

Front hub, I would like to use a wide flange hub I picked up at a swap meet. But think it might get lost behind all the fork and fender parts. It needs some rebuilding and I found one similar to it on ebay for a decent price and that may steer me to go with new hub rather than mess with trouble to rebuild old one. These will be my intro into wheel lacing.

The fork, It was originally on a ladies bike, the steer tube has been threaded down to fit, but now will have to do some adjusting of the springer parts to make them all fit and look right. Need to find a different set of bearings to fit the worksman headset cups. The fork came with the bearings and cups for a monark, but those cups and bearings do not interchange with the worksman parts. Knocked out the worksman cups and the monark cups will not go in so I think I can just take what I have to a shop and try different bearings until I find one that works.

The fenders. Yea, they are really nice! Real steel and BIG. The pic doesn't do them justice. Rims are a swap meet find, cheap and rebuildable. Will get blasted and powder coated. Wanted to go with fat franks, but they might be a tad too much. Especially with the fenders and bracing. Will probably stick with good ol' 26x2.125's.

Found a mid 60's schwinn handle bar. Should look sweet. And fit with the era of this theme build. Worksman badge has to go. WWW.com on the head badge just won't cut it with this build.

Still need to find a seat post and saddle. Hoping the solid posts here on the forums are available again when I get to that point in the build.

Not much else to share at the moment. Wanting to wait and do a full build thread after the chopper is done. But that doesn't mean I can't think about how I want this build to go.

See ya,
Rod

Trying to decide on a bendix two speed kickback hub or bendix two speed cable hub. Thought about the SRAM auto, but might look too new for this build.

The cable won't really destroy the theme or look of the bike. Which ever hub I pick will get roughed up and painted black to match new black front hub.

Hubs will be new old stock or really nice rebuilds. Not wanting to cut corners on this build. Already have parts found just need to make the purchase.

Wheel hoops and frame will be same color so will need to get small fab job done and send frame and hoops to finish.

Getting more parts collected; ebay and fellow RRB'rs

Red stripe kickback
NOS Union front hub from 60's
Monark crank/chainring and bearings
Torington block pedals, these are sweet pedals
Brooks 66 saddle
New headset bearings to get the fork to work with the Worksman cups
Grips
Stem

Going to do some mock up building over the holiday weekend. Still too much to get and do for a test ride.

I have decided which way to take this project. Went to a car show couple weekends back and saw a panel truck done up in a matte od green with red hot rod wheels with the chrome ring and cap with a military ambulance theme. The bike will get the same treatment. OD green, chrome rims, red spokes and digging around ebay and finding all kinds of ww2 goodies to add. Scored a set of canvas green saddle bags from a retired usaf major's collection. Once I get the other two projects done, then I can get after this project. Be back with the pic of the vehicle.

Got a couple pics to share for the project.
First the hot rod,
hot%20rod%20ambulance-L.jpg

Also did a search on military bikes and will panel the bike like this one instead of a full tank panel.
MGGustaaf.jpg

And the cool bags, trying to run down info on service member who had these in his collection. Still searching and will be a neat history lesson.
ww2%20canvas%20bags-M.jpg

A pair of Felts MP bike tires will be called into service.
Found a neat large barreled front hub on ebay. Still on it's way from greece. Will have a neat industrial look. Once it arrives, wheels will be built, and project will really get going.

Well back to the other projects. And more ebay/surplus site searching for cool old military gear.

See ya,
Rod

Project renamed to "Fred" I will explain why.

When I purchased the bags on ebay I asked the seller if they had any info on the original owner. Mr. Fred Roberts. Didn't get much of a reply so I thought nothing of it.

This past monday afternoon I check post office and have two boxes ready to pick up. I was puzzled because both had the return address from the bags. So I open the ebay labeled box and there are the bags. Cool. Then I open the other box and there looking back at me is Mr. Fred Roberts! it was a shadowbox with a couple pictures and pins and newspaper clippings. I was nearly in tears. Looking at the display was a large index card that had his rank from 2nd Lt up to major and next to that written history comments.

He was a B17 pilot with the 15th Air Force, 99th Bomb Group, 346th Bomb Squadron. Based in Italy he flew 35 missions. I have been on one pretty neat history lesson all week.

Well I found out that the shadow box had been shipped to me by mistake and was supposed to go to NY. So I took the opportunity to scan what I thought was the best items and repacked it and sent it on to NY.

Will post pics later

Serendipity luck that takes the form of finding valuable or pleasant things that are not looked for. The phenomenon of finding valuable or agreeable things not sought for.
I like to think your receiving the 2nd package by mistake adds greatly to your inspiration of this build and a great example of Serendipity. :)

'A RatRodBiker gathers a very nice selection of vintage parts to build a tribute bike to The USAAF when serendipity and luck would pay a visit to give the bike, the builder and an honoree a bond that could defy time.'
I salute your efforts Fred , USAAF and GuzziRod.
Oh!!!?? ...and you say your name is Rod? Hmmmm , very interesting?:39:
th

Last edited:
That would make a neat set of dekodiscs.

Fred's wheels are at the builders! Woo hoo!

Will try to find a few last parts at a swap meet in a few weeks. But it's nice to finally get started on this build.

I also have strong interest from shop doing stripes on my typhoon. Fred will get painted similar to hot rod above. Simple with small details. Keeping it simple and clean.

Back