USAAF Bike "Fred"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Olive Drab, a generic term for US military flat green in varying shades from nearly brown to forest green depending on year, factory, available pigments, field changes, etc.

Fred test ride.jpg
Fred is rollin'!

Got it built up enough for test riding. Been trying different sprockets to find best one for hills and general trails. i think a 44 will be perfect. original crank sprocket was a monster 52, then I found a 48, I did this test ride with the 46 on it now.

Fork still needs tinkering with. I don't think the fender struts are right. Think I will end up making those for front and rear. I tried riding without the front fender but needed the braces to fill up the pivot for the fork otherwise it wanted to flop around a bit.

Two speed kickback worked good. Tires road good. Didn't buzz like I thought knobbys would.

Road just over 9 miles on paved trails and park roads. Big ol' handle bar feels good. And will give me place to put the horn and prop spinners.

Not nearly as cool as Fred's potential, this is one I put together from miscellaneous modern parts.
Fito aluminum frame, Nexus 3 speed rims in OD green w/black hubs and spokes, and a springer painted to match.
Looking at your's makes me want to disassemble and put these parts on a vintage frame.

Back