Using modern hubs and bottom brackets on older bike frames

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to this forum and vintage bikes so excuse the nieve question.I'm thinking of building a board racer style bike.My plan instead of going period correct components..go with modern hubs in a wheelbuild.Wheels would be built to look vintage but with the advantage of modern wheels.Next the bottom bracket..is there any way to use a modern bottom bracket in an older frame.Crankset would also have a more vintage look but once again have the modern performance advantage.I haven't looked at frames too much yet beyond a few racer builds on the net.All using more period correct builds.Is this doable with the little specific info given.

yes it can. Nirve, Felt and other modern hubs/wheels fit in old frames, and there are 3 piece crank conversions for vintage one piece bottom bracket shells.

Lots of folks have done builds using the same concept. As far as hubs go the biggest issue is that most older rear hubs have a narrower OLD (Outside Locknut Dimension). If you want to use a newer hub that is wider you will have to spread the chain stays out to accept the wider hub. Pretty easy to do by hand if you are careful.
As far as bottom brackets go you can buy a three piece adapter that will allow you to use a square taper crankset in your older frame. Sometimes chain line can be a problem.
I am sure someone else will chime in with specifics....Good Luck with the project

A lot of older cruisers had 5/16" axles on the front, modern stuff is usually 3/8" or bigger. Nothing a little filing won't solve though.

I am searching for the right frame to compromise with a modern-day bmx hub set, and crank, but that Ruff on the homepage looks pretty good.!

While I can't speak as to spindle length/chainline, the unit itself will indeed fit in a Varsity that originally had a one piece crankset. ;-)

It should work fine. The Varsity bb shell is stamped from sheet metal and bent in to a circle and the protrusions for the chain stays, seat tube and down tube point outward leaving full access inside the shell. Some other brands like Columbia have the chain stays, seat tube and down tube protrude through holes into the shell and those can be a royal pain to fit the adaptors into.

Varsity bb shell:
IMG_0218_zps2d9a2f40.jpg

Columbia bb shell (tandem):
IMG_8523.b.jpg

Last edited:
The problem with these conversions are that you're stuck with a 130mm spindle, which will not work well with the vast majority of "modern" cranks, especially on a singlespeed with a narrow rear end.

The converters that put a BSC-threaded shell within the American shell allow for the use of any BSC-compat BB/Crank. So, yeah, you can run Campy Ultra-torque or Shimano Hollowtech2 in your aged american bike, if you so desire.

Personally, I love the OPC, but on buillds with American BB shells and 3-piece cranks, I've gone the BMX route. It's the least-kludgey solution.

If you are truly making a "boardtracker" style bike are you planning on modifying the frame shape/dimensions at all? If so why not remove the old and weld a new BB shell into the deal?

If not..... never mind. Axel width and chain alignment are issues to consider. What sort of rear hub are you wanting to use? Coaster, freewheel, BMX driver and BMX flip flop are all single speed options...

Read up on threads about spreading the rear triangle before attempting it.

Who needs a rear brake when ive got a front drum brake?
Depends on what your definition of "need" is, but if you're actually going to ride it, and you intend to go kind of fast, and you'll ever have to stop in a hurry, I'd say you "need" it. If you're deliberately building a bike that cannot be ridden hard, I'd say that's an "issue" with the build, too.

I'm all for ppl building bikes how they want to, even with insufficient brakes. That's one thing, and it's fine. It's another thing to act like doing it that way involves "no issues at all".

Latest posts

Back