Using modern hubs and bottom brackets on older bike frames

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on what your definition of "need" is, but if you're actually going to ride it, and you intend to go kind of fast, and you'll ever have to stop in a hurry, I'd say you "need" it. If you're deliberately building a bike that cannot be ridden hard, I'd say that's an "issue" with the build, too.

I'm all for ppl building bikes how they want to, even with insufficient brakes. That's one thing, and it's fine. It's another thing to act like doing it that way involves "no issues at all".

This is a good point! Safety is important, and a broken chain leading to no brakes at all is something that can happen to anyone with just a coaster hub for stopping. So there are many ways to get into trouble and only a few to get you out. Be aware, take care... etc. Cars suck and so does getting hit by one.

I gues that's why i tend to build cruisers with a drum/coaster f/r set-up. I have a banger or 2 that are c/b only... I don't worry too much about it, b/c my chains are kept in tip-top shape...

Latest posts

Back