SWB0 Vertigo Granny

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never heard of that guy, I'm going to do some research, thank you sir :thumbsup:

These are my tire options at the moment:
  • Skinwall (Schwalbe Lugano 2 or Continental Dynamic Classic).
  • Michelin Dynamic Sport Blue wall.
  • Michelin Dynamic Sport Red wall.

View attachment 258295
View attachment 258296
View attachment 258297
View attachment 258298

My options for colour combinations:
Coloured details not mentioned and I added some more colour options in regards to the previous post!
+ I think, after seeing the mockup, that I will leave the grey rims as is. Maybe brush/polish it a bit.

1: Metallic golden frame. Red wall tires.

2: Metallic golden frame. Blue wall tires.

3: Metallic golden frame. Skin wall tires.

4: Off white frame. Skin wall tires.

5: Chocolate brown frame. Skin wall tires.
Golden accents.

These are the four options I am thinking about right now. I have some neat ideas regarding details with a red (RAL 3020) spray can I have lying around.

I love the pink colour I mentioned earlier, but I feel it distracts from the overal bicycle. I don't want it to scream all the attention away.

What is your favorite option? Trust me on the details ;)

Hi guys.

So the lasercut plate came in together with an sprocket that I'm building for a friend:

View attachment 258179
View attachment 258180
3D printed Nylon and lasercut steel.

Alright, back to the bicycle:

View attachment 258175
The plate gives the seatpost tube some extra sideways stability, since the lower part is a steel open rectangular tube, which is not very stiff.

Hopefully I can weld tomorrow!

After that I am thinking about colours. I am unsure if I will make a full mockup first.

View attachment 258176
Found a front sprocket too! From an Electra Ratrod. Its from my previous ratrod that I sold a few years back. The owner did not need that part.

View attachment 258177
Colour tryout! A bit messy and droopy painted, but you'll get the idea.

View attachment 258178
Dark grey and metallic red. The red takes quite some layes to get coverage. Is that due to the 'metallic' effect?

View attachment 258181
Pink and Chocolate brown.

View attachment 258182
View attachment 258183
Metallic Gold!

View attachment 258184

So I will work with these colours, pink and/or gold and/or chocolate brown.

I am thinking about an effect like fade or dipping a sponge.
The effect would make the front a bit heavier/darker since there is a lot going on on the back of this bike.
I do like the idea of pink rims with an gold and brown frame.
Or gold rims with and gold/brown frame.

I'm not set on anything just yet, so feel free to post cool ideas!

I might try this effect with above mentioned colours:
View attachment 258188
View attachment 258189
Dipping with an plastic bag. Could also work with a sponge.

Aaaand...

View attachment 258194
View attachment 258195
From a previous build, I have these 'prototype' fenders left.
They are made from Mahogany wood.
I made them by placing the fenders in water for hours. Then pre-bend them, after they dried I would glue two pieces together in the mold I made from bicycle wheels.

These fenders are 70mm wide, I can cut them in half, since this is a skinny build.

I do like the fender colour with the above mentioned colours... what do you think?
I like the bag or sponge paint effect.

Thanks for the advice guys. I have some neat ideas.

A combo of 3 and 4? :grin:

I already ordered the skinwall tires (continentals).

After degreasing, sanding and degreasing again, I will paint the frame. Maybe try out some effects, like highlighting the lugs or a sponge(bob) effect on the fork.

First I need to clean the seat tube inner walls, since the welds came through.

Thanks for the advice guys. I have some neat ideas.

A combo of 3 and 4? :grin:

I already ordered the skinwall tires (continentals).

After degreasing, sanding and degreasing again, I will paint the frame. Maybe try out some effects, like highlighting the lugs or a sponge(bob) effect on the fork.

First I need to clean the seat tube inner walls, since the welds came through.
Do you have an idea how you plan to clean the inside of the seat tube? I want to install a frame support tube inside the seat tube of a step thru frame I am building up but there is rust (and perhaps some weld material from manufacture) that will need to be taken out before I drive the new tube all the way down to the bottom brkt.

Do you have an idea how you plan to clean the inside of the seat tube?
How clean do you need to get? A way to clean inside of tubes is to cut a slot in the end of a dowel, stick a flap of sandpaper in the slot, and chuck the dowel in a hand drill to sand the inside of the tube. You might want to use a screw to hold it in place. I also have a piece of metal coat hanger with a little twisted loop in the end, to which I attached a little ball of steel wool. This is for cleaning and a little rust removal

Do you have an idea how you plan to clean the inside of the seat tube? I want to install a frame support tube inside the seat tube of a step thru frame I am building up but there is rust (and perhaps some weld material from manufacture) that will need to be taken out before I drive the new tube all the way down to the bottom brkt.
How clean do you need to get? A way to clean inside of tubes is to cut a slot in the end of a dowel, stick a flap of sandpaper in the slot, and chuck the dowel in a hand drill to sand the inside of the tube. You might want to use a screw to hold it in place. I also have a piece of metal coat hanger with a little twisted loop in the end, to which I attached a little ball of steel wool. This is for cleaning and a little rust removal

Like Matti said:

Use a pin that fits in your drill. Then cut a slot with the hacksaw and you can slide in the sandpaper.

I am now using this:
1000021248.jpg

So far it works really well. My battery powered drill is not super fast, so it might take a while.

Like Matti said:

Use a pin that fits in your drill. Then cut a slot with the hacksaw and you can slide in the sandpaper.

I am now using this:
View attachment 258422
So far it works really well. My battery powered drill is not super fast, so it might take a while.
Thanx for the input. It doesn't need to be clean, there appears to be corroded metal at the elevation where the "top" tube intersects the seat tube preventing the inner sleeve to go any further......

This is the way

I use these, bust the plastic off and use them in my drill, could be extended easy..........Curt
View attachment 258468 $4 at harbor fright.
Interesting, never thought of that!

1000021318.jpg

This is my 'usual' cleaning tool. Its an old shaft from a 1:5 rc car.

1000021341.jpg

Very clean

1000021321.jpg

Need to shorten it, but the seatpost fits! We'll see hiw it turns out with leg/sprocket clearance.

1000021351.jpg

First coat applied. Weather was mild.

1000021352.jpg

Brown and gold inside.

I hope I can finish this, the chocolate brown spraycan is almost empty!

Phew just finished it! Al the chocolate is gone from the can!

Now I'll let her dry and think about the golden details I would like to add.

1000021440.jpg

Fork came out nice. When assembled, you can see the goldy flakes through the headtube holes.

1000021452.jpg

1000021453.jpg

1000021454.jpg

Lighting is not great on these pics, but I'm fairly happy with the result.

Latest posts

Back