villageidiot's build thread "the jerk"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Here is where i will post/document the build of my worksman INB. I'm calling it "the jerk". If you haven't seen it, its an old Steve Martin movie..... in it, theres a quote " God loves a working man, don't trust whitey". This being a worksman, and me being a (white) working man..... i thought it fitting.

so here it goes..... I've got basically zero in hand, everything is coming in the mail.....

-worksman INB frame from chuck
-DK 1 1.8" threadless stem
1373C31A-68F0-42DF-9EF5-25D4C87FAC53_zpspy2cjp9o.jpg

-Profile blackjack sprocket (i wanted this sprocket so bad as a broke high school freshmen, couldn't justify it as i was breaking sprockets literally every month at the bmx track, found some on closeout on profiles site, STOKED!!)
8650D182-D568-411C-84B3-019FBE52EBEC_zpsab2pw7kr.png

-bombproof 26" threadless fork (will be powdered to match frame)
CEFC2973-4110-46DB-94D4-8C63EE1F4A68_zpsostp5e9g.jpg

-black anodized seat clamp
4E7AC222-AEDA-4D8C-A04C-555E7868B8B7_zpsm8kfdz2p.jpg

-threadless headset
-sunday saker 175mm 3pc cranks with sealed american BB.
DEF80503-142E-403E-988F-123607499D48_zpsj6hddwnd.jpg

-nickel chain
-weinmann as7x wheels, 12ga SS spokes, shimano coaster brake
2C202B14-AF35-4A4A-9A71-10BDABFC74F4_zpsu5wmjvd8.jpg

that'll get me started, its all ordered.... fully committed. I've got a time goal of mid march to be ready for the nascar race weekend in fontana (cousin gets a spot infield, its a party)

things I'm unsure of:
-frame color
-tires
-bars, but likely a chrome bmx cruiser bar
-seat

Last edited:
That's a nice list of parts. I, too, have been lusting after the BlackJack sprocket for eons. They're had them for sale cheap for some time now.... and i've been dragging my feet. If I keep waiting, they'll be gone....

That's a nice list of parts. I, too, have been lusting after the BlackJack sprocket for eons. They're had them for sale cheap for some time now.... and i've been dragging my feet. If I keep waiting, they'll be gone....
I had to go and check them out, very cool and a good price! Almost ordered one until I checked their postage costs to Australia! Would have ended up $95 US... :20:

Luke.

Yeah. I wanted that sprocket so bad. It taunted me at the bike shops for a while. Then poof. Gone.

I was scheming colors etc and was pretty settled on gold anodized bits, but kept changing my mind. Thought back to the "old days" and what I wanted, google-fu, bam, for a twange I'm on it. Kinda set the tone for the bike as far as little bits go.

Still not sure on wheels.

Yeah. I wanted that sprocket so bad. It taunted me at the bike shops for a while. Then poof. Gone.

I was scheming colors etc and was pretty settled on gold anodized bits, but kept changing my mind. Thought back to the "old days" and what I wanted, google-fu, bam, for a twange I'm on it. Kinda set the tone for the bike as far as little bits go.

Still not sure on wheels.

What are you considering, as far as wheels?

What are you considering, as far as wheels?

Being in so cal, the sky is the limit as far as bike stuff goes. The LBS has 26x1.75 weinmann with 12g stainless spokes and shimano CB hub. Can get black hoop, or silver ano.

Then there's BWW, and they use alienation 26x1.75, 14ga spokes and either KT hubs, or shimano for a up charge. Rims are ano colors, green, blue, red, purple, black, chrome, silver, gold.

I could get wilder, but I'm keeping this under a sorta budget (hoping to come in 600 all in)

Initially I was goin to go with gold everything, wheels, sprocket, seat clamp, stem, pedals, etc. but as much as I like it, I think I may tire of it if I build it too flashy. I was also having a hard time choosing a frame color to go with gold bits. I'm digging root beer metallic, but didn't think it'd mesh well (I know it would, ever seen a rootbeer impala on gold 100 spokes) just can't bring myself to do it.

I think I'll do black wheels. And still might do rootbeer brown (wishing they had bigger flake in powder coat)........ I COULD paint it, but I like the simplicity of powder and the durability. I've done some crazy powder coat colors in the past on projects, and don't wanna do the same color as something I've done before, but we'll see, my coater has like 300+ colors on hand, I usually don't make my mind up til I drop off.

Had to pull the trigger on the bits, so they can start coming in, otherwise analysis paralysis sets in and I won't get it built.

+1... the wheels Chuckz sells are black rims with 12g spokes, a Shimano cb-e110 rear and a nice high-flanged silver hub. I got a set, and they've been great wheels.

I got some of the Weinmann AS7X wheels with the 12g spokes-- if you get the black, it comes with a black paralax-style front hub but a chrome cb-e rear, which probably drives folks with ocd nuts. (I'm running a set on the bike, and it doesn't really bother me, but i'd rather see either a silver front or a black cb-e110 instead. The rims are nice; just single-wall, but they've held up so far and are a pretty decent modern-day knock-off of Araya 7x rims...so they look good, for the price.

I don't have experience with the Alienation stuff, but I try to avoid the KT hubs where i can... and, if you're not going the blingy-ano route, the Weinmann rims with 12g spokes are a good call. (You can typically bu the same AS7X rims with 14g spokes and kt rears in about 10 different colors for about $80/set online.... i think the 12g spokes and cb-e hub are worth the extra cash, even if they only come in two colors....)

I think I'm gunna support the LBS on this one. He's tellin me 120.00 for the weinmann/shimano/12g wheelset. It comes with a chrome low flange joytech hub. I'm gunna go at lunch break and order em. I know chuckz are cheaper, and I like the wide flange, but with everything gunna be NEW, and the frame fresh powder, it'll be sharp for a while.

I got some of the Weinmann AS7X wheels with the 12g spokes-- if you get the black, it comes with a black paralax-style front hub but a chrome cb-e rear, which probably drives folks with ocd nuts. (I'm running a set on the bike, and it doesn't really bother me, but i'd rather see either a silver front or a black cb-e110 instead. The rims are nice; just single-wall, but they've held up so far and are a pretty decent modern-day knock-off of Araya 7x rims...so they look good, for the price.

i thought i had seen them with a silver front hub as well, but you are correct, black in front, silver in back....... not sure its worth the hassle of unlacing either wheel and changing color/hub.

In my opinion, it don't matter, but i got mine on a beater klunked-out Husky frame. None of it looks good.... If you get the silver version, the front is silver ano and the back is chrome.... with the stainless spokes and silver ano rims, it all looks close enough....I got those on a different beater.

Yeah. It won't likely matter. If I did change it, it'd have to be to some rad polished high flange hub like I used to run BITD, like a JP, or crupi or the like. I won't sweat it for now.

It's not gunna be a beater, but it's also not gunna be a high end anything, just solid decent components.

got the forks today, totally rad tapered leg chromoly fork. 1 1/8" threadless, thick drop outs, tig welded.

very pleased for the ~40 bucks they cost

ordered the wheels from the LBS today, they'll be in tomorrow. now i gotta think about tires. LBS has some Kenda K-RAD tires that look pretty sweet. gotta do some more thinking..... dangerous.

got the forks today, totally rad tapered leg chromoly fork. 1 1/8" threadless, thick drop outs, tig welded.

very pleased for the ~40 bucks they cost

ordered the wheels from the LBS today, they'll be in tomorrow. now i gotta think about tires. LBS has some Kenda K-RAD tires that look pretty sweet. gotta do some more thinking..... dangerous.

What's up, you got a Wuler fork from JustRideLA? if so, I got some of the same forks in 1" threaded, and they're freekin awesome. (RRB member ChattyMatty put me on to them...) Those things are definitely overbuilt; they can take whatever you dish out. Love how thick they are at the forkends. I got a Landing Gear on a different bike, and i think the Wuler fork is actually tougher....

K-RADs are awesome tires, and they can do it all. Anothr good option from Kenda are the Kiniptions; they're labeled 2.3" but they're really more like 2.125, but i love'm for the street b/c they roll fast and can take 80psi!!! You also ought to check out some Maxxis Holy Rollers; similar style to the K-RADS, but maybe a little more traction. (But, yeah, 26x2.35" k-rads fill out a Worksman really nicely...)

i did get them from justridela, but they called them "bombproof" on eBay. I'm stoked on em. i liked the SE landing gear, but didn't wanna fork out the dough for em. trying to keep it real with the budget.

the kiniption tires look cool, but i hate how the tread wraps the sidewall. ill probably get some K-Rads. they look fresh, and seem to get good reviews etc. i like the holy rollers, but the tread block not lining up really screws with my head. haha

I always thought
  • white frame/forks
  • red anno wheels, seatpost. clamp, and stem
  • everthing else black would be cool.
But I like your idea of rootbeer and Gold...very Sidewinderish

i did get them from justridela, but they called them "bombproof" on eBay. I'm stoked on em. i liked the SE landing gear, but didn't wanna fork out the dough for em. trying to keep it real with the budget.

the kiniption tires look cool, but i hate how the tread wraps the sidewall. ill probably get some K-Rads. they look fresh, and seem to get good reviews etc. i like the holy rollers, but the tread block not lining up really screws with my head. haha

Yeah, I think they do that b/c "bomb proof" sounds better than "Wuler", but check out the steerer tube.... they stamped "WULER" on it. Wuler still makes forks, but i think they've exited the bmx cruiser market. And, as a guy who owns both, I think i'd buy the Wuler forks again over the current-production Landing Gears, even if they were priced the same...

http://wuler.imb2b.com/sell/

I can see how the Kiniption's sidewalls can look weird, but the bead-to-bead tread is what i love the most about them. I can really rail it in the corners without losing traction-- supreme confidence as far as handling goes. And, yeah, as far as the Holy Rollers go, the gap-tooth tread weirds me out, too. K-RADS are a safe and solid choice....

I always thought
  • white frame/forks
  • red anno wheels, seatpost. clamp, and stem
  • everthing else black would be cool.
But I like your idea of rootbeer and Gold...very Sidewinderish

White with red ano and black stuff is always a safe color combo.... Personally, i try not to make any suggestions on color schemes and "fashion" b/c #1 there's no accounting for taste and #2 I've probably got some real terrible taste, as far as style goes. I'm a form-follows-function type of guy. :crazy:

But, yeah, I gotta agree that the rootbeer/gold scheme was brought to the cycling mainstream by the original Sidewinders, and man, do i love that combo. (The silver/blue colorway was rad as well. )

sidewinder_1_small_lg.jpg

I have a Scrambler in the rootbeer (I think Schwinn called the color "spicy chestnut"), but everything on it is black or silver/chrome....except the decals, which are black/yellow. Now, I'm tempted to rebuild it with gold ano bits and gumwall tires--- but I guess I'd leave the black mags intact.

I think I'm gunna support the LBS on this one. He's tellin me 120.00 for the weinmann/shimano/12g wheelset. It comes with a chrome low flange joytech hub. I'm gunna go at lunch break and order em. I know chuckz are cheaper, and I like the wide flange, but with everything gunna be NEW, and the frame fresh powder, it'll be sharp for a while.
Sounds like a good build, Do everything YOUR way... You have to ride it, You have to look at it and you have to live with it if you blow your budget. Sounds like you are happy with how it is working out.:)

Back