Villiers beach cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AKB said:
So you are doing this for the clutch? That makes more sense. You used the word "shifter," as in gear shifter, so that's why I was confused. That and the fact that you have multiple positions shown on your diagrams. If this were for the clutch I would assume that you would only need two positions, "engaged" or "disengaged" with a lockout for one of the two (like Cobrafreak did on his build.) But then Cobrafreak explained the tendency of the belt to stretch, etc., so having mutiple engaged positions makes sense now.

Youre up to speed now....lol. Yeah i put the multiple notches in the gate design because i was considering belt stretch, but like someone pointed out it may be unnecessary considering i have adjustment where the shifter and clutch arm meet. And i may also drill more holes closely to the idler pulley hole to allw adjustment.

And thanks for the advice Murrayman, i will look into it, i should be buying belts this weekend if all goes well.

JOScatRATrod said:
Everything about your bike is so insanely much better than those kit engine bikes. artistically and functionally.

Thanks man. Im hoping it does function, but i will keep tinkering and redoing things til i get it right...... and enjoying every second of the experience. Im learning lots...... and im looking forward to focusing on my other builds.

I went and got my Mig i won off EBay. Hopefully its ok.

Picture297.jpg

Picture298.jpg

Picture296.jpg

I got my jackshaft welded and mounted and also tacked a trial bracket to work out the kickstart. I will make a nicer looking bracket.

My welder doesnt work quite as well as my mates that i was using (his was twice the price of mine). My welds dont seem as neat, but it gets the job done. Its sooooo good having my own welder for the first time. Unfortunately ive overspent this pay so my belts will have to wait until wednesday, at least that gives me time to get everything right. Tommorrow i plan to fully weld my tank. Ill pick up my forks tommorrow (thread lengthened) and fit them. I can also do all the welding for my Indian and Whippet builds as well.

Picture306.jpg

Picture300.jpg

Picture305.jpg

Picture303.jpg

Picture304.jpg

Got my new tyres for this build...

Picture313.jpg

I welded my tank up. The welds on the tank were watertight. But the dome nuts for mounting are leaking. I ended up blowing holes in the nuts. I did my best to fix it. Ill have to get some tank sealer. I should have done what i was originally going to do and tap a thrad in a slug and weld that in, or at least use thicker nuts...... I did that with the Kroon tank. Oh well live and learn....

I just have to wait for it to rust or help it along....

Picture311.jpg

Picture307.jpg

I also cut and rewelded my exhaust tip and will face it downwards....

Picture310.jpg

Picture308.jpg

Tommorrow ill make my kickstart bracket. Ive got it designed in my head. Ill make it so the pedal chain passes through the bracket with a built in chain tensioner. I may use a derailler sprocket..... but i have a singlespeed chain and the sprocket will be for a 9 speed chain. Not sure if thats critical..... Ill have to find a spring to suit, i cant see how to get the standard spring to work. At least not a way that looks good.

I also plan to cut the dropouts off to make them a horizontal dropout, ill just cut them off and spin them and reweld them back on with a little extra gusseting. Horizontal dropouts which will make it easier to remove my wheel with jackshaft and better belt chain tension adjustment.

I got my shifter gate done in stainless steel. It wrecked two of my drill bits and went through three dremel cutting discs.... its note perfect but it doesnt have to be on this project so i didnt worry too much.

I will weld two or three bolts to the top of the tank (this will lift the gate a little and look better then straight on the top of the tank) and use dome nuts to secure it.

I also decided i like the shifter to the rear of the muffler and puts it in a more comfortable position for me. With the shifter to the rear of the muffler the barrell is still visible, and just seems to fit better IMO.

The shifter gate i will cut shorter i think when i got back to work in the gullotine. Much easier and neater.

Picture316.jpg

Picture315.jpg

Picture314.jpg

My bikes fork is at the bikeshop having the steerer tube thread lengthened so i havent posted full pics of the bike for a bit. When i get my forks back (maybe tommorrow) ill fit them and post a pic for you. Ill post a recent pic and just in case you missed it while you were gone ill repost my testrun video...

Picture264.jpg

I should have this bike going within the next few days, then i will be posting WAY too many photos and maybe a video also :D

I did consider a seat like you said Stocksucks, but im happy with mine at present. Its in the the most comfortable (still uncomfortable) position.

Stocksucks, to view the video just click on the second picture in my previous entry (picture with cylinder tank).

Ive just been doing a lot of little things to finish this thing off. Ive done all the final welding on the bike...

Picture331.jpg

I made the kickstart mount, and the chain runs through the middle. I just have to weld it in...

Picture334.jpg

Picture330.jpg

Picture325.jpg

I had some hard plastic and i cut a wedge for now to stop the chain rubbing on the top for now. I may eventually find a small sprocket or plastic roller to bolt through the middle and cut slots in the kickstart bracket so its adjustable.

Picture326.jpg

Picture329.jpg

Picture333.jpg

Picture327.jpg

I got my dropouts done. Just need to tidy them up a bit and wait for them to rust up a bit.

Picture332.jpg

Picture328.jpg

Picture336.jpg

Picture335.jpg

I made a rear stand for it but didnt take into account my disc brake caliper so ill have to modify it. Im not sure ill still be able to make it look good and swing right up and clip near my seat. I may have to settle with having it come up to horizintal. Any ideas how to make the stand stay at the horizontal point? Spring? Im not sure. Any ideas would be appreciated......

here is what i did on one of my build off bikes a few years ago. had a bolt on each drop out for a stop in the up position. simple and easy and worked great!
104_4616.jpg

Thanks, not sure i can pull that off. Im having trouble missing the disc brake caliper when the stand swings up past over 90 degrees. I dont want it too wide at the dropout/bolt on point.

I figure if i can make the stand swing right up i could make the typical btr clip under the seat somehow...... Your idea may be easier, or at least a temporary solution. Cheers

Yes, looking really good. I love the look of a detailed technical build. Hey, what material belt are you going to use? I read somewhere that if you use a belt you want to try to put the same material around the rear belt pulley on the rear wheel so there is good grip.

cobrafreak said:
Yes, looking really good. I love the look of a detailed technical build. Hey, what material belt are you going to use? I read somewhere that if you use a belt you want to try to put the same material around the rear belt pulley on the rear wheel so there is good grip.

Yeah ill have to get some leather or maybe truck tray liner or something. I was just going to see how it went, but im sure ill need something.

I wanted to have the bike going today but i still have a few thingsd to do. No rush i guess, i wanna make sure everything is right.

My tank has a few small leaks, i will tey and weld them again and if it still leaks ill resort to tank liner. And i still have a handful of small finishing touches. But heres how it presently stands and visually it looks finished minus the rust. And just finoshing touches

Picture337.jpg

Picture338.jpg

Picture341.jpg

Picture339.jpg

Picture343.jpg

Back