Vintage brakes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok: I’m not wild about my brake and cable options for the proper rat rod build.

I’m looking for a cheap women’s bike to scab the brakes, cables and levers off of.

my question is, on Women’s/step through bikes, on the rear caliper brake, the cable is routed up through the bottom side of the brake arm.

are the castings the same as the front and the only difference is swapping the location of the brake barrel adjuster and the cable fixing bolt On the brake arm?

Good morning Jude, hope your air is breathable.
I was able to do exactly that on a newer caliper brake.
IMG_3103.jpg

The barrel adjuster and the clamp bolt had the same squared off hole shape.

But I checked the brakes I removed from my build-off Schwinn and it doesn't look possible.
The way they mounted those two parts are different. Also the lever arms were different.
IMG_3407.jpg
IMG_3408.jpg
IMG_3409.jpg

But the calipers from an old Varsity allows you to switch to a down pull. The hole castings are the same.
IMG_3410.jpg
IMG_3411.jpg

So I guess the short answer is it depends.
I would gladly send you a rear down pull for just shipping cost. It's the left caliper from the first photo.

Abraço

Attachments

• IMG_3410.jpg
    IMG_3410.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Good morning Jude, hope your air is breathable.
I was able to do exactly that on a newer caliper brake.
View attachment 235901
The barrel adjuster and the clamp bolt had the same squared off hole shape.

But I checked the brakes I removed from my build-off Schwinn and it doesn't look possible.
The way they mounted those two parts are different. Also the lever arms were different.
View attachment 235902View attachment 235903View attachment 235905

But the calipers from an old Varsity allows you to switch to a down pull. The hole castings are the same.
View attachment 235906View attachment 235907

So I guess the short answer is it depends.
I would gladly send you a rear down pull for just shipping cost. It's the left caliper from the first photo.

Abraço
Great input! Thank you!!!!

I’m good on parts: thanks for the offer!!!

I’m sure I have stuff laying around or can score a cheap bike.

I really just wanted to know exactly what I was getting into before I got too deep!

This info is super helpful and now I can move forward accordingly!!!!

THANKS!!!!!!

Great input! Thank you!!!!

I’m good on parts: thanks for the offer!!!

I’m sure I have stuff laying around or can score a cheap bike.

I really just wanted to know exactly what I was getting into before I got too deep!

This info is super helpful and now I can move forward accordingly!!!!

THANKS!!!!!!
Oh…. And the smoke here IS awful!!!!

Thanks for asking!!!!

-never seen anything like it!

I’m a pretty fit workout dude, and I’ve skipped my rides and workouts for fear of getting a chest or sinus infection.

I cut my grass last night wearing a mask and struggled greatly the rest of the night!!! It’s really, really bad, and I’m not built cheap!!!!!!

Oh…. And the smoke here IS awful!!!!

Thanks for asking!!!!

-never seen anything like it!

I’m a pretty fit workout dude, and I’ve skipped my rides and workouts for fear of getting a chest or sinus infection.

I cut my grass last night wearing a mask and struggled greatly the rest of the night!!! It’s really, really bad, and I’m not built cheap!!!!!!
I was in Florida when the wildfires occurred in the late 90's. They had to let them burn right to the Ocean, the wind was too dry and strong. I had to make special air filters for our truck, smoke was coming in even on recirc. We had big ashes the size of pancakes floating down in our neighborhood. It stopped when we finally got some rain just a few blocks from our place.
I agree with staying indoors and there's no outside activity that needs done.

Two and three years ago Central California was a heck hole with air quality that was horrible. We went through months of it as the forests in this lovely state burned down. Last year for whatever reason was no fires but very hot as were the two previous years. This year is a wonder. Huge amounts of rain all the way till late spring. Cool clear weather. No fires so far. Wonderful, hope it lasts. Sorry to see the East Coast and Canada suffering so bad.

Latest posts

Back