Voting Strategies

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattiThundrrr

Rattus All Terrainus
Reaction score
There are going to be a bunch of cool bikes again this year. Voting is going to be something that requires serious thought and planning. In the past, I have struggled to keep the number of votes I cast low because of the quality. What is your thinking about votes? Only vote for one, or multiple, and if so how many? Voting only for the bike, or does the thread weigh in your consideration?

The build thread always weighs into my decision. Work put in, level of documentation, audience engagement, wow factors

I don't limit my choices going in but will slowly wind my way through all the threads and some naturally fall off my radar. Whatever I'm left with is where the votes go. Sometimes only a couple, but I have voted for upwards of 15 in past years. Depends

Probably why it takes me almost a week to decide

I vote usually by what they start with vs end result. Is it a bunch of expensive parts bolted on a really good frame. What I like to call easy pops. I try to stay away from them in my own builds. I have three off the top of my head that would have been easy. Silverking,fire arrow and flyte. There needs to be work. I vote for way more than I should.

My natural inclination when encountering all artwork is to ponder how hard it was to make. With exception for work that conveys a message, if I feel it easy to replicate I'm typically not impressed. Not being judgemental. Thats just how my mind works. All great art starts with a story. Ours being why we chose the builds we did. That story, written or implied, is told through color and shape. Since our eyes and mind do all the judging of balance and color our own abilities and experiences shape the way we judge effort and refinement. Thus my less knowledgeable voting will differ from those with years of building and viewing experience in that I might find things harder to build than they and vote more often.. or not know how hard things are and overlook them. Then again, when I toast some herbs I'm in love with everything I see so the voting may amplify as I spot details I hadn't before. =)

Last edited:
Then again, when I toast some herbs I'm in love with everything I see so the voting may amplify as I notice details I hadn't before.
Lol now the name gains a little more meaning. I also have been known to toast, that's why I spread my voting decisions out over a few days, it evens out the influence of stimulus. In the past, I have even used a notepad to jot down details that stick out as I go over (and over) the voting threads, in order to make sure my thoughts don't disappear into the ether

My natural inclination when encountering all artwork is to ponder how hard it was to make. With exception for work that conveys a message, if I feel it easy to replicate I'm typically not impressed. Not being judgemental. Thats just how my mind works. All great art starts with a story. Ours being why we chose the builds we did. That story, written or implied, is told through color and shape. Since our eyes and mind do all the judging of balance and color our own abilities and experiences shape the way we judge effort and refinement. Thus my less knowledgeable voting will differ from those with years of building and viewing experience in that I might find things harder to build than they and vote more often.. or not know how hard things are and overlook them. Then again, when I toast some herbs I'm in love with everything I see so the voting may amplify as I spot details I hadn't before. =)

Lol now the name gains a little more meaning. I also have been known to toast, that's why I spread my voting decisions out over a few days, it evens out the influence of stimulus. In the past, I have even used a notepad to jot down details that stick out as I go over (and over) the voting threads, in order to make sure my thoughts don't disappear into the ether
Explains all the edits in post 😂😂😂😂😂

I look for creativity, build thread, workarounds, among other things. Without a doubt, certain parts have to be purchased to realize a vision. However, not everyone can just buy their ideal parts. Seeing how we, as builders, navigate that discrepancy earns more admiration, from me, than a build by someone who can afford to buy all-the-right-pieces (and does) to make a slick final product that is ultimately a 'kit' bike.

I love originality, I like details, I like clean if that was the intent, I like crusty if that was the intent. My build is a mix of both, and I know my aesthetic won't resonate with everyone.

I put weight in the build thread only in context of 'taking us along the journey'. But as for QUANTITY of postings? That's not a factor for me. Some people post a ton as part of their creative process (talking it out), others are super efficient (here's what I did, here's what I broke, here's what I fixed, done). Does not equate to the quality of the build.

Lastly, I like multiple votes. I like throwing a vote to multiple builds I admire. Not everyone's aesthetic is the same, so having multiple votes gives a much better overlap on the overall favorite at the end.

Last edited:
So this is really more building strategy but I thought I'd spark it here since that conversation is driven by this one. We can't help but notice when things we post are met with less than average response. Such was the case with an old toy pistol I recently concealed under my seat. Rather than beg a response I assume consensus is negative and probably won't use it in the build-off's final images. But I also recognized that I wouldn't be thinking this way if we weren't mulling over voting tactics right now. So does one rebel and do what they feel is right or cave under pressure and self-police their builds to conform around popularity? Just something to chew on in our ever self-policing societies.

So this is really more building strategy but I thought I'd spark it here since that conversation is driven by this one. We can't help but notice when things we post are met with less than average response. Such was the case with an old toy pistol I recently concealed under my seat. Rather than beg a response I assume consensus is negative and probably won't use it in the build-off's final images. But I also recognized that I wouldn't be thinking this way if we weren't mulling over voting tactics right now. So does one rebel and do what they feel is right or self-police their builds to conform around popularity? Just something to chew on.
I work shift work so I'm on all kinds of times I've noticed reactions and interest seems to make a difference not lack of interest but when it's viewed. Your a night poster so often when your on there's 5 or 6 members. Less view

Latest posts

Back