Voting Strategies

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I work shift work so I'm on all kinds of times I've noticed reactions and interest seems to make a difference not lack of interest but when it's viewed. Your a night poster so often when your on there's 5 or 6 members. Less view
Factored. Psychologically it will still affect my, dare I say our, decisions.

So this is really more building strategy but I thought I'd spark it here since that conversation is driven by this one. We can't help but notice when things we post are met with less than average response. Such was the case with an old toy pistol I recently concealed under my seat. Rather than beg a response I assume consensus is negative and probably won't use it in the build-off's final images. But I also recognized that I wouldn't be thinking this way if we weren't mulling over voting tactics right now. So does one rebel and do what they feel is right or cave under pressure and self-police their builds to conform around popularity? Just something to chew on in our ever self-policing societies.
As discussed in the other thread, many people just do not have the time to sit and surf all the updates to all the threads. Even with our site traffic peaked out during the annual summer build it still doesn't lead to a visit to every update. Most people spend less than 30 minutes per visit and many only visit once per day

Also, what someone might do on page 9 of their build journal may not be seen by say someone that saw the starting point, determined it wasn't their jam (frame, theme, etc ..) and hasn't tuned back in since. It happens

As discussed in the other thread, many people just do not have the time to sit and surf all the updates to all the threads. Even with our site traffic peaked out during the annual summer build it still doesn't lead to a visit to every update. Most people spend less than 30 minutes per visit and many only visit once per day

Also, what someone might do on page 9 of their build journal may not be seen by say someone that saw the starting point, determined it wasn't their jam (frame, theme, etc ..) and hasn't tuned back in since. It happens
That doesn't change our psychological instincts. Most people aren't thinking that hard about it while their dopamine still comes from our clicks and writing. I just thought it interesting given the discussion around voting and how we tailor our candidates.

the first build off I participated in was #9, after seeing the bikes Fordsnake won with the previous couple years I knew I was not "winning" this thing, I just wanted to join the fun. We were limited to 3 votes that year, and I got 1 vote. at first I was kinda bummed about that but then someone else who also got only 1 vote explained that it meant that someone thought my bike was one of the 3 best in the build off, and even I didn't think so. since then I just enjoy the event, people suggesting things I might not have thought of, trying things beyond my normal simple builds, getting great ideas for future builds, having builders I admire telling me they like what I'm doing. We're adults playing with kids toys, have fun and build a cool bike! I'm already gathering parts for next year...

I'm already gathering parts for next year...
I'm so efficient, I'm a step or two ahead. I've already resolved not to enter next year, broken that resolution, started stacking up parts, decided that I probably won't get it done before the 2024 deadline, and resigned myself to another DNF. The future looks bright

I'm so efficient, I'm a step or two ahead. I've already resolved not to enter next year, broken that resolution, started stacking up parts, decided that I probably won't get it done before the 2024 deadline, and resigned myself to another DNF. The future looks bright
DNF or finish we still all love a great Mattie thread.

And who said he didn't have a PLAN??? That's genius......:)

Finished build sub forums will open sometime Saturday 7/1 so stay tuned

You will need to start a new thread for your build in the appropriate Class 1 or 2 finished bikes area using the name of your bike build, then add photos, highlights of the build, a link to your build thread, etc. Remember, the FIRST thing in your finished thread must be THE photo you would like used for judging in the Voting Thread. No finished thread means you will not be eligible for voting so don't miss this crucial step

You will need to start a new thread for your build in the appropriate Class 1 or 2 finished bikes area using the name of your bike build, then add photos, highlights of the build, a link to your build thread, etc. Remember, the FIRST thing in your finished thread must be THE photo you would like used for judging in the Voting Thread. No finished thread means you will not be eligible for voting so don't miss this crucial step

Pssssttttttt.............

I got antsy

They're open now 😎

For anyone unfamiliar, take time to surf some past finished threads to see how they are done

https://ratrodbikes.com/forums/build-off-17-class-1-finished-bikes.233/
https://ratrodbikes.com/forums/build-off-17-class-2-finished-bikes.234/
https://ratrodbikes.com/forums/build-off-15-class-1-finished-bikes.195/
https://ratrodbikes.com/forums/build-off-13-finished-bikes.165/

Should be like a car show. You get one vote for your favorite. Most votes wins, 2nd, 3rd, etc. the voting is the silliest part of the build off. But we live in a world of participation trophies, so feeling don’t get hurt, so. Everyone is a winner! 🏆
I'm pretty sure that's not why the build off allows more than one vote. Even within the two classes, there are wide differences in builds. Why shouldn't we be able to acknowledge all of those differences that intrigue us by voting for them?

Question 1: Are the votes cast privately and
Q 2: and whether they are or not, is there an opportunity to explain/state/comment why we chose that particular Build (in 50, 25, 10 words or less)?
I see some details (some big, some small) that just resonate with me and why a Build deserves a vote. Just wondering....

Question 1: Are the votes cast privately and
Q 2: and whether they are or not, is there an opportunity to explain/state/comment why we chose that particular Build (in 50, 25, 10 words or less)?
I see some details (some big, some small) that just resonate with me and why a Build deserves a vote. Just wondering....
1. Private
2. We frown about sharing vote details until after voting completes. It sways votes and sparks debate

Latest posts

Back