Weird pedals.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this picture of a bike for sale. Bike is nothing special but the pedals look interesting. It almost looks like a thumbs up on the pedals. I know the picture sucks but any ideas. He wants $30 for the bike.
9b5d8e9cb750219f671b8dbef9e06a53.jpg

Its got a Schwinn seat and if you like the pedals go for it. What a cheap hobby when we worry if $30 is too much. In the whole scheme of things hobby wise $30 is chump change. After all people pay $40 for a box of 12 Titleist Golf Balls. You can buy a nice multi speed Fat bike for less than 3 Calloway drivers. A cheap set of golf clubs from a department store costs more than most of the new bikes I buy. This is why I don't golf. I think golfers should have to make their own clubs out of tree limbs and use homemade rawhide covered rocks for balls. They should have to play in the woods or marshland or desert without all the waste water and chemical pollution. The rules should be so that whoever gets closest to a mutually agreed upon object in 4 strokes wins the first obstacle course with a score of 1 to 0. The game winner is the first to get 21. I might play if these were the rules. The bike looks like no brainer, I would buy it.

Agree on the reasonableness of the price I just really don't need anymore more bikes (never stopped me before) at the moment especially a girls schwinn, i just got rid of my last 2 1970s collegiates on CL last week and it took forever! But i have never seen the pedals. If the they where something exceptional I'd pop if not I can use the $30 toward a set of thick bricks.

It sure looks like a Schwinn bike. The kickstand looks like a Schwinn along with the seat. I think those pedals came off an exercise bike.

Agree on the reasonableness of the price I just really don't need anymore more bikes (never stopped me before) at the moment especially a girls schwinn, i just got rid of my last 2 1970s collegiates on CL last week and it took forever! But i have never seen the pedals. If the they where something exceptional I'd pop if not I can use the $30 toward a set of thick bricks.

I would strip it for parts and junk it or give away what I don't need. You could even cut it up with a saws all and put it in your garbage. You can't buy what you need/want for $30. If I need a sprocket or seat or something I generally can find a whole bike for less than the parts new. I then give the unwanted parts to the volunteer fire department for their annual scrap drive. I probably buy at least 20 bikes a year just for some part I want. I bought a really, really nice 70s-80s boys Huffy USA made cruiser this summer for $50 because it had a much older 1940s Troxel seat on it. The rubber on the pedals and tires looked almost new. This bike was not old enough for my taste so I sold it for $50 and kept the seat. I have gotten five 1940s and 50s seats this way. Seems like people don't like the original 70s seats and replaced them back in the day with older ones they had laying around. I sell the cruiser for what I bought it for before exchanging pats I want with ones I don't. Looks like the seat and perhaps the crank and sprocket and various parts could be salvaged and easily sold to get most of your money back. I would buy it if I wanted anything on it and sell any Schwinn Approved stuff on it. The parts don't take up much space once you have cut up the frame and cut the spokes with a grinder. Schwinn approved hubs and rims have some value. If the rims are toast it is easy to fold them into pieces for the garbage or to recycle. Oh well, a lot of effort for pedals.

I got a better picture of the pedals. They are Kwik Speed brand??? BMX? Looks like they could be worth a couple bucks. It's cheap enough but not worth an hour each way drive for me. It's on Madison CL for my fellow Wisconsin Rats. He did send me a couple more pictures.
42cc6ea9a3eb534472f899cfb96e4843.jpg

Id like to see others shots of the bike.. whole shots of the frame and fenders, where possible, In regards to the Pedals, I agree with ALL the info above. To get those by themselves, new,..would probably be 30-50 $.. I think its a steal for the whole bike at cost, with that much age and what looks like that much opportunity to rebuild.

FZ

The first pictures of the pedals looked like something cool, a closer inspection revealed a let down. The bike may be cheap but divorces are not, you should see my basement! Honestherman when I said pop I meant purchase.... Which I won't do because I live in Waupun and the bikes on the west side of Madison.

I don't mind driving for something rare or cool. Never do I drive for women's schwinns with the exception of prewar or anything skiptooth. This bike doesn't qualify. It is clear that many of you don't have as many cruiser options as I do for the $. One more thing to be thankful for I guess.

Its been said before, and I quote: "You can buy a 200$ bike and be happy.. some folks buy a 20$ bike to be happy.. its not about cost, its about how much YOU like it, that makes it worth what it is." -RRB

FZ

Amen! But for the right price and local I can learn to love it.

Pop means Purchase?, Just as easy to say Buy. Still three letters.
Good Luck on anything you Buy. If there was a picture of the whole bike, It could be a nice rider.

I agee with the new picture but somebody back me up. Does that first picture not look like a hand with a thumb up? I thought it was some wicked 70s aftermark pedals. Hey its the holidays and I like to dream and apparently drink.

I agee with the new picture but somebody back me up. Does that first picture not look like a hand with a thumb up? I thought it was some wicked 70s aftermark pedals. Hey its the holidays and I like to dream and apparently drink.
15498354103_13592d1c30_z.jpg

Luke.

Back