Western Flyer finds from the farm

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My $12 auction finds in Illinois, one is badged WF the red one is a guesser no badge I think is a western flyer too. The older WF has an aluminum handlebar stem, and looks like an late 1930s from the style of the seat. Would this be a Huffman built WF?
[/img]
wards032.jpg
[IM
wards034.jpg
G]

Yep...first one is a Huffman and the second a Cleveland Welding bike........nice purchase!

.....forgot. Based on the sprocket the second was probably badged as a Hawthorne :mrgreen:

The badge holes on the red CWC bike are vertical unlike the hawthorne badges I've seen, thier screw holes mount horizontal. I have no clue to the red bikes year other than prewar-war-early postwar. I'll watch for estate sales that have bicycles listed and more more often than not lately have several bidders there for the same reason, the bikes. This sale was on a 140yr old farm homestead, no bicycles were listed but the sale add was telling metal scrappers to come. I thought I might find an old bike frame or two in those piles of metal scrap. And there they were on top of a pile of scrap, I pulled them out and had the Auctioneer sell them together SOLD! I payed my $12 and had money left for a cheeseburger and a RC cola to enjoy on the way home! Look for the Huffman built WF on these pages soon, it's my new winter project.

Great find....cool to see them saved from the scrap pile. I'm not sure of the date on the CWC bike. Here is a picture of my wifes CWC Hawthorne and it has vertical attaching points on the headbadge. I can get you a picture of what it looks like if you want. I'm working on a couple of Huffmans myself......can't wait to see what you do with yours.

How much you want to bet it's a red CWC Hawthorne, I have a ladies Hawthorne with the same sprocket design. I have to check out how it's badged the next time I'm in the barn. I'm thinking about a regrease on the WF, refurbish a period correct ND wheelset and either clearcoat the lightly sanded rust patina or paint it some pretty colour :!:

Back