What brand, what type, what year?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just new on this forum, new in the vintage bikes and far away from nice parts for the bike i have some questions.
I picked up this nice vintage bike and it was sold to me as a roadmaster but i have my doubts. The way the fork is formed (toppart) and the bends of the front fenderholders (is that english?).
I found a number underneath the bracket: G97460.
I really hope somebody can help me :D

IMG_20131010_164241_zpsa9abb25b.jpg

IMG_20131010_164214_zps1185f50f.jpg

IMG_20131010_163525_zps49dfa857.jpg

Not English, definitely American all the way. RMS37 is the resident expert on these, I am just a hack, but until he weighs in I will ease your mind a little; here goes...

I think it is likely a Cleveland Welding built bike of the "bent tank" style frame dating roughly 1940 - 1941. Roadmaster was probably the most likely headbadge, it just depends on who was the retailer. What type rear hub do you have? If it is a Morrow, they have a date code.

That is absolutely a CWC made bike. If owner said Roadmaster, then I would believe him that is was badged that way at one time. Cool bike, lots of nice parts.

Thanks guys,
The rear hub is a Morrow but so far i couldn't find a date on it. I will get de bike apart in the next weeks, very careful because i've never done such a thing. If i find something new i will post in this thread.

@dougfisk I was in Phoenix a couple of months ago, really liked it 8) . Went to see a Diamonbacksgame against Atlanta. Pretty cool!

Jupiler11 said:
Thanks guys,
The rear hub is a Morrow but so far i couldn't find a date on it....

At the bottom left of the block of lettering will be a single letter, single number code, like J2 or K3 or such. Report back what that is and I will tell you what it means. :wink:

Jupiler11 wrote:Thanks guys,

At the bottom left of the block of lettering will be a single letter, single number code, like J2 or K3 or such. Report back what that is and I will tell you what it means. :wink:

Hi Dougfisk (and everybody else who likes to answer),
I've taken most of the bike apart but i cannot find a letter on the rear hub. Maybe i'm searching in the wrong place.
I've uploaded some pics on photobucket with different parts: http://s840.photobucket.com/user/Jupiler11/library/
Can you tell me where to look for the number or see in the pics if you see anything?
Thanks!
Jupiler11

Jupiler11 said:
Jupiler11 wrote:Thanks guys,

Hi Dougfisk (and everybody else who likes to answer),
I've taken most of the bike apart but i cannot find a letter on the rear hub. Maybe i'm searching in the wrong place.
I've uploaded some pics on photobucket with different parts: http://s840.photobucket.com/user/Jupiler11/library/
Can you tell me where to look for the number or see in the pics if you see anything?
Thanks!
Jupiler11

On the rear hub shell itself, in between the flanges where the spokes attach, is a region of wording. You may need to clean off caked dirt or grease to see it.

Allright!! I found it :lol:

On the hub bright and shining it now says:

Eclips Machine Division
Made in Elmira NY USA
K1 36 13

Jupiler11 said:
Allright!! I found it :lol:

On the hub bright and shining it now says:

Eclips Machine Division
Made in Elmira NY USA
K1 36 13

"K" means 1941, "1" means first quarter... pretty much squares with my guess for the bike. 8)

36 means spoke hole count, 13 means spoke gauge capacity.

Thank you very much!! Gauge is that thicknes of the spoke?

A bike from 1941 in Europe, i wonder how and when it got here....

Back