What do I do about this seat tube?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this west coast chopper bike for free. It is in pretty good shape all together and the Kenda flames would have been worth paying for but it's got this seat post problem...there almost ain't one! I'd normally round it out and grind it off even but there isn't enough tube to do that with it.

What do I do? Weld in a post?

Photo-0007what.jpg

Photo-0008chop.jpg

It may be possible to take another frame and cut the whole seat tube off of it, slide that into the frame and weld it in place.

Good argument for not running the seatpost above the minimum insertion line.

Yeah it's broken off about 1/3" from the top tube. No room for a clamp. A wedge bolt might just work for the seat. I think the frame is aluminum which makes the welding even more problematic.

Stick a magnet on it. I'm pretty sure it's steel, a friend of mine cut one up into a burrito bike, if it's the same bike. It says West Coast Chopper on it but it's not the same as the (Jesse James) West Coast Choppers Huffy.

Doing a wedge bolt style seat post will work just fine BTW, I have one on my lowrider bike, and some of the new BMXs come with them. I was just trying to offer another solution.

That would work. Have to put a few different holes in it to adjust the height but it would be a simple fix and could be done to look cool

Back