What Do You Use To Remove Grease From Bearings?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have taken apart, cleaned, and greased hubs, bottom brackets and head brackets on about 6 vintage bikes in the last few weeks. There is nothing I have found to be foolproof for disolving the old grease that hides in the bearing retainers between the balls. I have tried kerosene, mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, engine degreaser, and simple green heavy duty. It is obvious that the base of some greases is not soluble by petroleum products. What is left; alcohol, carburetor cleaner, or ? :?:

for bearings i us WD 40 on a rag in almost the same way i would pack them. (if bearings are in a retainer ring) spray WD 40 on a rag then roll the bearing arounds in it - spray more WD on a different spot and repeat until clean. if that dont work i soak 'em in WD 40 for a bit. i use WD 40 on almost anything that needs cleaned, just remember to wipe off excess when yer done. ive heard of ppl soaking bearings in gasoline too but i wouldnt recommend if for the obvious safety reasons....not saying i would not do it....just saying in wouldnt recommend someone else do it!
fast eddie outty

ive used gasoline and it works like a charm!! but like eddie said there are afety precautions!! just dont be a dummy about it!

Easy E

I have found that Gasoline works really good. I also use oven cleaner to clean bearings and strip paint off of bikes. You can get oven cleaner at the dollar store along with industrial rubber gloves.

floridasfavson said:
I have found that Gasoline works really good. I also use oven cleaner to clean bearings and strip paint off of bikes. You can get oven cleaner at the dollar store along with industrial rubber gloves.
hahahahhahaha! I've used oven cleaner before and it works so well! I have a couple of cans in my garage.

florida did you say that you can strip paint off frames?! please tell me details on the extent of this. anything that is easier than a wire wheel and a drill is better.

Easy E

While repairing bikes at work I discovered a product called BIOVERT. So I tried it because I was desperate, I haven't tried anything else since! It works great for me! I have seen it in some drugstores and WalMart in the cleaner section with all of the Fantastic, 409, etc.
raleighcanuckba1fl1.jpg

automotive aerosol brake parts cleaner.......use it all the time.

I soak mine in a bowl of Simple Green for a day or two...the stuff is good at breaking down grease and it's non-toxic.

Get a plastic cup or bowl and dump some mineral spirits in it. Then drop some bearings in there while they are fully emerged and let them sit for 24 - 48 hours.

schwinnmesa said:
Get a plastic cup or bowl and dump some mineral spirits in it. Then drop some bearings in there while they are fully emerged and let them sit for 24 - 48 hours.

x2

I will agree with everyone that said to use gasoline or thinner. I like to put a little in an ice cream bucket. Put the lid on and swirl it around.

In addition to the solvents mentioned, I have used boiling water to heat up and soften bearing grease that has hardened into glue. I have put stuff on the stove to boil before. This technique may lead to friction--with your spouse! (My wife gets really irritated because it smells up the kitchen...) Seriously, I have to be pretty desperate to try boiling, but I have done it and it works well.

Back