What does Pre-war mean?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly what war is being refereed to when describing the approximate year of a bike?

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the pre-war designation important because of all the materials and resources that were diverted away from other things like bicycle fabrication? Seems like, for the U.S., that process happened almost immediately after our involvement began (as Sensor points out). Other wars did not involve the widespread re-purposing of factories to support the war effort. Is this accurate or is my grasp of history as tenuous as my teachers said it was?

Bicycles were still made during war time, however they didn't have all the chrome like the earlier bikes. Parts were usually painted rather than chrome plated.

It means the opposite of Post-war. :D

Walker said:
"Pre-War" is the fraction of an instant just before your wife sees you pull in the driveway with rusty bikes in the back of your truck. :shock:

That is classic. This man has lived that Quote, and I have also. :lol: :lol: :lol:

edit: I just showed this to my wife and she agrees.

so a bike from late 1941-mid 1945 is neither pre-war nor post war? i only ask because i'm afraid my '42 bfg is suffering from an identity crisis.... :mrgreen:

bikes built during the war would be concidered "black out bikes", named after the tendencies of having black painted hubs, wheels and other normally chrome plated items. this was true for automobiles as well, as some of the last cars built (since auto production did cease) even had wooden bumpers. pre-war, blackout and postwar. :D

Back